This one takes the cake - Worst review ever

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately we have moved well past the days of responsible journalism and into the perpetual opinion cycle of "writing". It's obvious she's a talented "writer" but that does not a journalist make, nor should she pretend to be one at this point in her career.

Her views are her own, and I can respect that, to paraphrase, "the headphone jack being in the top center of the phone might annoy her", but the fact that she feels compelled to insinuate that this is a flaw in the design as opposed to stating the simple facts of said design and then giving her opinion as it relates to her, and more importantly why it bothers her, is proof enough that she is over her skis here. And this is just a touch of the many faux pas of her opinion piece.

This is the type of drivel that MS and WP has to find a way to combat every day. I know it seems like it's a never ending litany of reviews that continue to be written by the misinformed that tend to mislead the general public who might be interested in the ecosystem and I know that the company doesn't have time to issue a rebuttal to every dolt that decides to issue another missive about the continuing lack of the almighty app in the store, but there comes a point in time where the users themselves have to step in and shut down the madness. And if you read the comments section after her opinion piece you'll see that they pretty much did just that.

Just my two cents on the matter.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, I didn't think this review was as bad as some of the truly abysmal reviews we have seen. Many of the gripes for the phone weren't the phone per se, but the crapware that Verizon had installed, like the NFL app. I would uninstall that app right out of the box myself...I just wish the reviewer had been a little more clear about this point.

The issues mentioned, the lag and the dropped calls/poor sound make it seem to me like there was some issue with the phone, either in an area of poor reception, or just some fault with the phone in general.

The weight has been an issue for Nokia in the past, particularly of female phone users (this review was written by a woman). I've carried a 920 for a long time, which was the original Nokia-holy-crap-that's-a-heavy-phone. I have no problems with it, and don't even notice the weight, but I still occasionally show the phone to someone unfamiliar with it, and it is often noted by someone that it feels heavy.

And qwank, the author appears to be in NYC based on the photographs. A lot of people don't drive or even own cars in NY.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I think her review was not written with an unbiased and professional perspective. Maybe all phones that she'll be reviewing would be bashed.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Not a terrible review and some criticism is valid, i.e. the Icon does seem a bit thicker than it really should be and Windows Phone won't be even close to the competition until Windows 8.1 arrives, etc. But that being said the review should have pointed out that Windows hardware is near top notch and when Windows 8.1 arrives it will finally be ready for some real competition with iOS and Android.

PhreePhlyer

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Not a terrible review and some criticism is valid, i.e. the Icon does seem a bit thicker than it really should be and Windows Phone won't be even close to the competition until Windows 8.1 arrives, etc. But that being said the review should have pointed out that Windows hardware is near top notch and when Windows 8.1 arrives it will finally be ready for some real competition with iOS and Android.

The bolded part. Can you explain to me how thick the Icon should be? Given the 20 MP camera, Qi Charging, 2400+ mAh battery and the quad-core processor, it seems to me the phone packs quite a bit into a fairly small package.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Lol she should stick with reviewing Android. It's embarrassing. Why would they let someone doesn't even know how to use a Windows Phone review it?

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Not only this Leslie Horn doesn't know shoot about Windows Phone, she doesn't know shoot abut the phone either.
"It has the same 1080p AMOLED display as it's phablet cousin, the 1520."
I don't think AMOLED and 1520 go in the same sentence.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
The following comment by mtalinm on the article hit the nail on the head:

"...my iPhone 5s"

should have been the first line of the article.

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
dear lord, what in hell did I just read?

one of the comments by one Ivan Kan that made me laugh:

Maybe she needs the icons to wobble when you hold it, like it does on her iphone.. oh wait, it does ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786