This one takes the cake - Worst review ever

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
The bolded part. Can you explain to me how thick the Icon should be? Given the 20 MP camera, Qi Charging, 2400+ mAh battery and the quad-core processor, it seems to me the phone packs quite a bit into a fairly small package.

I think most of us would trade a little bit of thickness for better battery life so I guess I'll reserve judgement until I've had enough time to gauge battery life.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
That the author lives in a city and doesn't need to bother wasting time in a car?
that's completely fine, but what about her comments about Here maps/apps being only useful if you drive and somehow Waze community with their accident/construction reporting is very useful.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
@TripsG

this is beyond just opinions, some parts of The Verge review were bad too, but I can let that go as writers opinion.

Only part that I can let go in this piece as opinion is when she mentions that it too thick for her liking. other parts about performance of the phone itself or of the camera or the part where she complains about pre installed apps etc. is just unacceptable. I mean at this point every single pc/smartphone comes with pre-loaded software that one might not want.
Also, she is complaining about the live tile for The Weather Channel app - does that make any sense to you, I mean a weather app is the perfect example of live tile.

puttlikezach

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Not a terrible review and some criticism is valid, i.e. the Icon does seem a bit thicker than it really should be and Windows Phone won't be even close to the competition until Windows 8.1 arrives, etc. But that being said the review should have pointed out that Windows hardware is near top notch and when Windows 8.1 arrives it will finally be ready for some real competition with iOS and Android.

To say WP 8 isn't even close to the current IOS and Android Kit Kat or whatever version is a bit of a stretch. This is coming from an HTC One user (former user). I've had Android for the past 6 years or so and am loving WP 8. Messed around on a used 928 for a while and I was sold. There are a lot of reasons that would compel one to switch.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
People around here need to trade in their thin skin for something a bit thicker. You would think someone insulted your child. First, it is just a phone. Second, it is not nearly as bad as any number of reviews for any number of devices. Third, the person is entitled to her opinion and if someone want to post it, that is the way it works. Finally, if you find it so offensive, why post a link to it? Congratulations, you just got the article (and site hits) which helps generate ad revenues which further encourages the articles you obviously dislike, Oh, the more hits, the higher the negatives climb up Google's search indexes.

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
You would think someone insulted your child.

Gee man, you would think someone insulted your child.
On: Don't worry about Lassie (or whatever her name is) she deserves every single comment made on her article.
Why?
Because her job is to write quality stuff, and, as you can totally notice, this is a terrible review.
You would expect someone on a TECH SITE to actually know some TECH STUFF. Even so, it's fine if she didn't know any tech stuff, but she could at least have made some research about the phone in question, even if it's just for respect to their readers.
This was an insult to people that are actually literate to the world of technology.
This was ignorant blabbery, writen by an ignorant fella.

I hope this post made you understand.
And yes, this is the kind of stuff you get from any user of any platform when you mess up about anything.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
To say WP 8 isn't even close to the current IOS and Android Kit Kat or whatever version is a bit of a stretch. This is coming from an HTC One user (former user). I've had Android for the past 6 years or so and am loving WP 8. Messed around on a used 928 for a while and I was sold. There are a lot of reasons that would compel one to switch.

Right now WP8 is missing a lot of basic stuff, such as notifications, separate volume for notifications vs ringer, etc. Most of these big glaring omissions are addressed in WP8.1. That was the point I was trying to make. Coming over to WP8 from iOS and Android makes me feel like I've gone back 2 years to a time when these basic features were missing.... So WP8.1 will bring Windows Phone into contention at least...

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Gee man, you would think someone insulted your child.
On: Don't worry about Lassie (or whatever her name is) she deserves every single comment made on her article.
Why?
Because her job is to write quality stuff, and, as you can totally notice, this is a terrible review.
You would expect someone on a TECH SITE to actually know some TECH STUFF. Even so, it's fine if she didn't know any tech stuff, but she could at least have made some research about the phone in question, even if it's just for respect to their readers.
This was an insult to people that are actually literate to the world of technology.
This was ignorant blabbery, writen by an ignorant fella.

I hope this post made you understand.
And yes, this is the kind of stuff you get from any user of any platform when you mess up about anything.

What rubbish. WP fanbois really are funny. I always get how WP is the "simplest" and "most intuitive" and "consistent" OS from the usual suspects on this site. But when it comes to any reviewer talking about WP, it's all "oh they're tech illiterate" "they don't know how to use a WP" and so on.

Newsflash, yo: This is how the average consumer thinks. A reviewer's job is not to pander to MSFT/your whims, but to assess how the common man on the street will look at things. A reviewer being a techie is actually a bad thing, IMO.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
What rubbish. WP fanbois really are funny. I always get how WP is the "simplest" and "most intuitive" and "consistent" OS from the usual suspects on this site. But when it comes to any reviewer talking about WP, it's all "oh they're tech illiterate" "they don't know how to use a WP" and so on.

Newsflash, yo: This is how the average consumer thinks. A reviewer's job is not to pander to MSFT/your whims, but to assess how the common man on the street will look at things. A reviewer being a techie is actually a bad thing, IMO.

A reviewer doesn't need to be a techie, but they should at the very lest understand what they are reviewing. She didn't have a clue. If she represents the common user, there is no purpose for most people to have a smart phone. She would be confused by a Razer.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
People around here need to trade in their thin skin for something a bit thicker. You would think someone insulted your child. First, it is just a phone. Second, it is not nearly as bad as any number of reviews for any number of devices. Third, the person is entitled to her opinion and if someone want to post it, that is the way it works. Finally, if you find it so offensive, why post a link to it? Congratulations, you just got the article (and site hits) which helps generate ad revenues which further encourages the articles you obviously dislike, Oh, the more hits, the higher the negatives climb up Google's search indexes.

While I agree with you about the problem with posting bad reviews for the sake of pointing out how bad they are...

This is the pot calling the kettle black. While we're calling a tech blogger out for an awful review. You're defending... a tech blogger after their terrible review. See the irony here?

I highly encourage other posters to go through stephen_az's posting history and find one positive thing that he has said. Thanks!

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
A reviewer doesn't need to be a techie, but they should at the very lest understand what they are reviewing. She didn't have a clue. If she represents the common user, there is no purpose for most people to have a smart phone. She would be confused by a Razer.

Common users are stupid and easily confused. Source: Seven years in tech support for Dell.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find it strange that evryone states how thick the Icon is even though it's actually thinner than the 928. The 928 looks thinner because the sides are skinnier

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans