This one takes the cake - Worst review ever

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
People around here need to trade in their thin skin for something a bit thicker. You would think someone insulted your child. First, it is just a phone. Second, it is not nearly as bad as any number of reviews for any number of devices. Third, the person is entitled to her opinion and if someone want to post it, that is the way it works. Finally, if you find it so offensive, why post a link to it? Congratulations, you just got the article (and site hits) which helps generate ad revenues which further encourages the articles you obviously dislike, Oh, the more hits, the higher the negatives climb up Google's search indexes.

I think it is a valid topic to discuss. A lot of people wonder why Windows Phone isn't more popular and reviews like that are a big reason why.

I found the comment about the phone being "laggy" to be very strange. A quad core windows phone is "laggy" compared to what? I had to go pick up my 1520 and play with it a bit to see if I could see this lag she was talking about. She said it lagged when swiping from the start screen to the app list. I'm not seeing that on the 1520.

The reviewer dinged the phone because it had HERE maps?!

This isn't even about Windows Phone or Nokia. I wouldn't trust any review this woman did. I mean complaining about where the headphone jack is located?! Why doesn't she tell us where the headphone jack should be and why it should be placed there.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's a tip: Stop reading Gizmodo, they stopped being a tech site after the stoners took over. Now half the articles are just opinion pieces that make little sense. I stopped reading their site and switched to Engadget. You can also tell that they are not reputable because they like the Nook Glowlight over the PaperWhite

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I think it is a valid topic to discuss. A lot of people wonder why Windows Phone isn't more popular and reviews like that are a big reason why.

I found the comment about the phone being "laggy" to be very strange. A quad core windows phone is "laggy" compared to what? I had to go pick up my 1520 and play with it a bit to see if I could see this lag she was talking about. She said it lagged when swiping from the start screen to the app list. I'm not seeing that on the 1520.

The reviewer dinged the phone because it had HERE maps?!

This isn't even about Windows Phone or Nokia. I wouldn't trust any review this woman did. I mean complaining about where the headphone jack is located?! Why doesn't she tell us where the headphone jack should be and why it should be placed there.

It's one of the reasons webOS didn't succeed. Lack of carrier support, and people are just afraid of the future.

micallan_17

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Common users are stupid and easily confused. Source: Seven years in tech support for Dell.

Hence because they are stupid and easily confused, she shouldn't have done that terrible review, you try to explain it the best you can not just say a few good things about the product but put it a way these "stupid and confused" common users can understand.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree about the headphone jack being on the top but that can be personal preference. When I doc it in my car I have power on bottom and audio coming out the top. So it gets a bit octopus like.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This guy really doesn't know what he's talking about. Reminds me of Molly Woods: finding faults with the device just for the sake of finding faults. This line in particular bothers me:
These apps exist to make up for the dearth of developer support that has so plagued Windows Phone since the beginning of its existence."

Since when are built in apps and services as bad thing? This really boggles the mind, how they could say this... Silly, just silly. I don't think people were ruffled when Apple built in a flashlight and compass app into iOS 7, so why is it such a sin for Nokia to do this?

As for the bloatware: I agree, it's annoying all the apps installed on Windows Phone by default, many which I won't even use (I don't even understand football, why do I care about the NFL?). That said, it takes three minutes, max, to uninstall of them, then you'll never have to toil with them again. And that's much better than what can be said for certain Android handsets: which have bloatware that can't be uninstalled.

So while the author does bring up a fair point or two, the overall review is just silly, and their ignorance diminishes the credibility of the entire article. Again, channeling the vibe of the infamous Molly Woods.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
People around here need to trade in their thin skin for something a bit thicker. You would think someone insulted your child. First, it is just a phone. Second, it is not nearly as bad as any number of reviews for any number of devices. Third, the person is entitled to her opinion and if someone want to post it, that is the way it works. Finally, if you find it so offensive, why post a link to it? Congratulations, you just got the article (and site hits) which helps generate ad revenues which further encourages the articles you obviously dislike, Oh, the more hits, the higher the negatives climb up Google's search indexes.

There's a huge canyon between a respectable review, which picks apart faults with a product (or service) and ensures all bases are covered, and a review that essentially misleads consumers to believe said product or service is not up to par down to personal preferences and incorrect (or not complete) information. I believe the Windows Phone community doesn't have an issue with valid complaints. In fact, consumers wielding Microsoft smartphones are generally the most verbal when it comes to complaining (in a good way, of course), but this review is simply unacceptable. I wouldn't want anyone I know to read it and then bypass the Icon because of what the reviewer 'disliked' as opposed to what is actually a negative with the phone and/or operating system themselves.

supping

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
She said that the phone lagged when going to the app list LOL. I've never seen a WP lag when going to the app list, is she making **** up?

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
There is absolutely no mention of the OS itself in the review. While I do understand that WP8 is a unified user interface across all the hardware... she didn't do any service to the actual user experience. The review implies that you are stuck with the apps that come pre-installed... which is BS to say in the least. I ended up removing ALL the TMO apps from my phone the day I got it. Overall a poor review with little new to offer in the ways of insight or information.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree about the headphone jack being on the top but that can be personal preference. When I doc it in my car I have power on bottom and audio coming out the top. So it gets a bit octopus like.

I noticed the exact same thing. Since the battery life is so short, I have been charging in my car and when I have the audio plugged into my stereo's aux port, I have to lay the phone down and it slides all around. If it were me, I would have the charging port and the headphone jack both on the top, so I could set the phone into a cupholder. Minor point, but a good catch.

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A reviewer doesn't need to be a techie, but they should at the very lest understand what they are reviewing. She didn't have a clue. If she represents the common user, there is no purpose for most people to have a smart phone. She would be confused by a Razer.

And God forbid it be an electric one. She would lose what mind she had left. Hehe...

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
What rubbish. WP fanbois really are funny. I always get how WP is the "simplest" and "most intuitive" and "consistent" OS from the usual suspects on this site. But when it comes to any reviewer talking about WP, it's all "oh they're tech illiterate" "they don't know how to use a WP" and so on.

Newsflash, yo: This is how the average consumer thinks. A reviewer's job is not to pander to MSFT/your whims, but to assess how the common man on the street will look at things. A reviewer being a techie is actually a bad thing, IMO.

A reviewer is supposed to know what he/she is reviewing in order to inform others about its potential. The reviewer is meant to point out key things that make or break the thing being reviewed so customers can know if they are making the right choice or not. There is no excuse for this review. It's awful

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
When I saw the headline, I thought sure it would be Molly Wood. Sorry to see there is another reviewer equally as bad as her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)