Microsoft protection plan or stay with Verizon equipment coverage

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I picked up an Icon at the Microsoft store and they offered their own protection plan for 2 years at $99. Since I have equipment coverage through Verizon I declined it. However, I have 14 days to add it as that is the return/exchange period. Anyone have experience with the Microsoft protection good/bad?

The sales manager said the MS plan covered damage and the VZW one does not. I can confirm the VZW one does not cover damage but you get free replacement for the defective device in the form of a like new refurb.

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
the one thing that will change your mind is that Verizon will cover the device if you lose it or get it stolen. Microsoft will not and your $100 will be wasted if it does happen.

stilo602

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have both the my carrier insurance (at&t) incase I lose it and the MS plan. I broke my Lumia 1520 2 weeks after I bought it. The Microsoft store gives you a brand new phone from their inventory and you can even choose a different color if they have it in stock (I went from a red to a black)for only 50 bucks and you are still covered for two more broken phones before you have to purchase insurance again. At&t charges 200 dollars through assuriance and only gives you a refurbished phone.

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have both the my carrier insurance (at&t) incase I lose it and the MS plan. I broke my Lumia 1520 2 weeks after I bought it. The Microsoft store gives you a brand new phone from their inventory and you can even choose a different color if they have it in stock (I went from a red to a black)for only 50 bucks and you are still covered for two more broken phones before you have to purchase insurance again. At&t charges 200 dollars through assuriance and only gives you a refurbished phone.

That isn't a bad plan, having both. Carrier insurance for loss and Microsoft for physical damage.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Get the Microsoft Retail Store one, hands-down.

Two things it doesn't cover (that the Verizon one might, I don't know): theft/loss and fire.

Also, if the phone is discontinued (like my mom's 8x was), they will let you choose the latest available (i.e. Lumia 928 or Icon).

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I was also told that if a newer phone is available Microsoft will let you upgrade to that phone for a nominal charge.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My experience with the MS store coverage on my Surface Pro has been fabulous. You show up with a problem, not matter how small, and they swap it across immediately.

I have not had such great luck with VZ coverage. It is usually sold through Asurion, and they give you returns that are often in bad shape. Huge deductibles too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos