I picked up an Icon at the Microsoft store and they offered their own protection plan for 2 years at $99. Since I have equipment coverage through Verizon I declined it. However, I have 14 days to add it as that is the return/exchange period. Anyone have experience with the Microsoft protection good/bad?

The sales manager said the MS plan covered damage and the VZW one does not. I can confirm the VZW one does not cover damage but you get free replacement for the defective device in the form of a like new refurb.
    02-21-2014 03:11 PM
    the one thing that will change your mind is that Verizon will cover the device if you lose it or get it stolen. Microsoft will not and your $100 will be wasted if it does happen.
    02-21-2014 03:14 PM
    Microsoft will give you a new device off the shelf, and Verizon will mail you a refurb.
    02-21-2014 03:26 PM
    I have both the my carrier insurance (at&t) incase I lose it and the MS plan. I broke my Lumia 1520 2 weeks after I bought it. The Microsoft store gives you a brand new phone from their inventory and you can even choose a different color if they have it in stock (I went from a red to a black)for only 50 bucks and you are still covered for two more broken phones before you have to purchase insurance again. At&t charges 200 dollars through assuriance and only gives you a refurbished phone.
    02-21-2014 03:32 PM
    I have both the my carrier insurance (at&t) incase I lose it and the MS plan. I broke my Lumia 1520 2 weeks after I bought it. The Microsoft store gives you a brand new phone from their inventory and you can even choose a different color if they have it in stock (I went from a red to a black)for only 50 bucks and you are still covered for two more broken phones before you have to purchase insurance again. At&t charges 200 dollars through assuriance and only gives you a refurbished phone.
    That isn't a bad plan, having both. Carrier insurance for loss and Microsoft for physical damage.
    02-21-2014 03:38 PM
    Get the Microsoft Retail Store one, hands-down.

Two things it doesn't cover (that the Verizon one might, I don't know): theft/loss and fire.

Also, if the phone is discontinued (like my mom's 8x was), they will let you choose the latest available (i.e. Lumia 928 or Icon).
    02-21-2014 06:30 PM
    I was also told that if a newer phone is available Microsoft will let you upgrade to that phone for a nominal charge.
    02-21-2014 08:15 PM
    My experience with the MS store coverage on my Surface Pro has been fabulous. You show up with a problem, not matter how small, and they swap it across immediately.

I have not had such great luck with VZ coverage. It is usually sold through Asurion, and they give you returns that are often in bad shape. Huge deductibles too.
    02-21-2014 08:46 PM