Who has made the iPhone switch?

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I just switched and am not missing my iPhone 5 at all. I don't miss the smaller screen and the slower processor. Loving the Icon so far!

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from my iPhone 4S to the Lumia Icon and I am very happy. Although, my parents have Windows Phones, so I knew what I was getting into and am not disappointed in any way. There were no surprises. I knew some apps would be less feature-rich, and others would be missing altogether, but I've found alternatives, and many apps that are even better on Windows Phone than iOS and Android.

Without Notification Center, I actually just got acustom to looking at my live tiles and seeing if any had a number next to them, showing I had a notification for that app. It only takes a second, and it's easy. I also make this process quicker if I have one of the apps assigned to the lock screen and it shows me which apps have notifications. But I know a true notification center is coming in 8.1, so I'm totally satisfied and will be even more satisfied when 8.1 comes out.

Multitasking is fine for me. It's very similar to iOS so that should not be a problem.

The only problem I have with Windows Phone is that all my friends who used to use iMessage with me and not use up any text messages, now use up all of my texts really fast. I don't have unlimited texting, so conserving texts is important to me. But I've gotten a couple friends who text me the most to communicate with me via WhatsApp. And that's a lot to ask from people who only use iMessage normally. So it's a bit of an inconvenience in America, because most people don't use apps that save you texts like WhatsApp or GroupMe. They use iMessage and say screw all other phones. That's my only issue. Everything else is great. The app selection is great. It's got what I need. And I need a lot. I used iOS apps for years. And I love my Lumia Icon now. I got the important apps, and a couple really cool ones I didn't have on iOS.

It also feels amazing to break free of Apple's "we know best for you" mantra and get to do what I like, the way I want. Windows Phone is such a refreshing platform as well. iOS was getting stale for me, and iOS7 (from a design standpoint) is super inefficient and awkward and the icons are ugly. As someone who works in design, it just irks me too much. I needed to get away from that OS.

Everything other than a few minor differences have been really easy to adjust to. If you think Windows Phone is a fun and cool platform for you, and you know how it works, the transition will be super smooth. And Windows Phone 8.1 looks like a massive overhaul that I'm really excited for. The future looks good. I think Windows Phone is a safer bet now, more than ever. It's not such a uncertain platform, anymore. It's starting to feel very confident in itself and how useful it is.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I switched a little over a year ago from an iPhone 4 to the Lumina 920. The only thing I periodically miss is the ease of printing directly from the phone and PocketInformant on the iPhone. The default Windows Phone calendar app has several limitations so I had to find a third party calendar app. There are several available. I do miss the notification center since there is a little more info on iOS than just a number on a live tile.

The integration with my other MS devices is awesome. After using WP for a while you will start to see the elegance in the design. Be sure you use it long enough to get to understand it. Only then can you truly make a judgment on what you like best.

Before you turn in your iPhone be sure to go in and turn off iMessage. If you don't, there is a chance that some of your contacts who use iMessage might have their phones attempt to iMessage you and you will never get the text. I had to power up my iPhone and turn off the feature since I missed some texts. Also, Nokia has an app called "Transfer my Data" which you can use to transfer via Bluetooth all of your iPhone contacts. Once you do this, and have your WP backup the contacts, all your contacts will be available online and will synchronize between all your Win8 devices.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Moved from iPhone 4 to Lumia 920. Miss notification center too, but that should arrive at some point. Find email better. Web similar. Apps acceptable (and better by the day). Love Nokia's camera capability and features. Navigation (Drive) is way better. I enjoyed something refreshingly different. iOS was very stale at that point, although 7 brought a slightly new flavor, ironically more towards WP.

No regrets. Enjoy not having the same phone as everyone else.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My brother had an iPhone 3G up until Christmas. I bought him a Lumia 520 to replace that slow machine. So far he seems to be just fine with it.

j rr

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Iphone user here, i want to give WP another chance since in september i had the 925 for a week. I decided to keep my iphone 5 too, im just too dependant on imessage and facetime audio. Been waiting for the Icon for a while and done my reseach. If the icon meets my needs i may sell my iphone and wait to see what does the iphone 6 has to offer while using WP in the mean time. I think that is the only way i will give wp a fair chance. I have friends advicing me to go android's way but i think its too similar to ios. So if everything goes as planned i will use the Icon as the primary driver, sell my iphone and get a Ipad Mini for my ios needs.

My only complain so far would be not being able to get an international version of the icon rightnow, i think verizon went a little bit too far with their branding.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It definitely is better to not have the iPhone around as a crutch for too long. I carried my iPhone 4 around for just under a week and then left it at home. I haven't used anything on it after about two months. The longer I used WP the more I understood how it was supposed to work and the elegance of the design. I keep finding little things too, which is fun.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
It definitely is better to not have the iPhone around as a crutch for too long. I carried my iPhone 4 around for just under a week and then left it at home. I haven't used anything on it after about two months. The longer I used WP the more I understood how it was supposed to work and the elegance of the design. I keep finding little things too, which is fun.

Yeah I kept my iPhone around just in case I really needed something on it that I couldn't get on my Lumia Icon. However, after the first day, I haven't turned it on, and needed it a lot less than I thought I would. The transition was so much better than I thought it would be.

There's a couple of apps I don't have on the Icon that my iPhone had, but honestly, they were apps I just kept around to be safe, not that I actually used. I had apps like American Express and Discover for my credit card bills, but I never actually used them for paying my bills in the first place, just as a backup. So those I can live without for now. But overall the switch has been really smooth for me. I hope others find it to be the same.

The "lack of apps" argument really is becoming a non-issue. I was able to get all of the apps I need that I use on a daily basis. Some being even better than what I used to have.

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So guys, i have another ? I think you will need to get your iPhone out to test this out or go to a store.

Here goes:

I went to the Verizon store to look at the Icon the other day. When I went on internet explorer to look at the webpage Yahoo! and WPCentral… I noticed that the pictures were extremely fuzzy and pixilated when you were looking through. I then went on the iPhone 5S next to the ICON and went on the same websites. The pictures were beautiful and clear. I was so surprised how weak the website photos looked. I also did this one other websites and got the same fuzzy pictures. It really bothered me. Can anyone explain this? Why was it like this? Is apple retina quality just better or what? i tried switching the Icon from Mobile to not mobile with no difference. It was honestly the first thing I noticed and was super disappointed that the websites did not look clear at all because of the fuzzy pictures.

Have you guys noticed this too?

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So guys, i have another ? I think you will need to get your iPhone out to test this out or go to a store.

Here goes:

I went to the Verizon store to look at the Icon the other day. When I went on internet explorer to look at the webpage Yahoo! and WPCentral… I noticed that the pictures were extremely fuzzy and pixilated when you were looking through. I then went on the iPhone 5S next to the ICON and went on the same websites. The pictures were beautiful and clear. I was so surprised how weak the website photos looked. I also did this one other websites and got the same fuzzy pictures. It really bothered me. Can anyone explain this? Why was it like this? Is apple retina quality just better or what? i tried switching the Icon from Mobile to not mobile with no difference. It was honestly the first thing I noticed and was super disappointed that the websites did not look clear at all because of the fuzzy pictures.

WPCentral looks fine on my Lumia Icon. Yahoo (mobile site) has a fuzzy header, but it looks like because the images are low quality, and on a big display, might show as fuzzy. iPhone does have a much smaller display than most popular phones, not just the Icon. Did you check out any Android phones to compare as well? My guess is the screen size versus devs using high quality images, instead of small images meant for smaller screens. But I have no real evidence to base this on. All I can see is that WPCentral looks fine on my end. Yahoo looks fine, minus the header being fuzzy, which is why I think it's an image size issue. Because WPCentral's mobile site uses the same larger desktop images, just less content, whereas Yahoo uses smaller mobile-specific images, that may be ideal for 4 inch screens or smaller, but not large screens, possibly?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Here goes:

I went to the Verizon store to look at the Icon the other day. When I went on internet explorer to look at the webpage Yahoo! and WPCentral? I noticed that the pictures were extremely fuzzy and pixilated when you were looking through. I then went on the iPhone 5S next to the ICON and went on the same websites. The pictures were beautiful and clear. I was so surprised how weak the website photos looked. I also did this one other websites and got the same fuzzy pictures. It really bothered me. Can anyone explain this? Why was it like this? Is apple retina quality just better or what? i tried switching the Icon from Mobile to not mobile with no difference. It was honestly the first thing I noticed and was super disappointed that the websites did not look clear at all because of the fuzzy pictures.

I just did the test on a NL 925, Carrier t-mobile, LTE. And on my Company iphone 5s, Verizon Wireless. Colors and content are about the same. I don't know about the Icon or Verizon.

Are you sold on the Icon? Lets see what some Icon users have to say about the test.

My findings are the same on both phones.

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I just did the test on a NL 925, Carrier t-mobile, LTE. And on my Company iphone 5s, Verizon Wireless. Colors and content are about the same. I don't know about the Icon or Verizon.

Are you sold on the Icon? Lets see what some Icon users have to say about the test.

My findings are the same on both phones.

Thanks for your response. I am not sold on the Icon. I'll be waiting for 8.1 I also kind of want to wait till the newer "1020" and possibly see what the iPhone 6 will bring to the table! Should both be good phones. :)

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I am not sold on the Icon. I'll be waiting for 8.1 I also kind of want to wait till the newer "1020" and possibly see what the iPhone 6 will bring to the table! Should both be good phones. :)

Ur welcome. Mean while check out this site till Update 8.1 arrives. Any thing above NL 920 is consider high end WP. Kind regards on your journey.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/all/

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
WPCentral looks fine on my Lumia Icon. Yahoo (mobile site) has a fuzzy header, but it looks like because the images are low quality, and on a big display, might show as fuzzy. iPhone does have a much smaller display than most popular phones, not just the Icon. Did you check out any Android phones to compare as well? My guess is the screen size versus devs using high quality images, instead of small images meant for smaller screens. But I have no real evidence to base this on. All I can see is that WPCentral looks fine on my end. Yahoo looks fine, minus the header being fuzzy, which is why I think it's an image size issue. Because WPCentral's mobile site uses the same larger desktop images, just less content, whereas Yahoo uses smaller mobile-specific images, that may be ideal for 4 inch screens or smaller, but not large screens, possibly?

Thanks for your response! Yeah, I'm not sure about the fuzziness…. Maybe someone will have the answer, at some point. haha

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I jumped from a 4S to the Icon and haven't been happier. i had been planning a jump to WP for a while and was finding iOS to just be stale. I miss notification center but for the most part the tiles do the work for me. Plus with 8.1 around the corner there will generally be feature parity. There are a few apps I miss (banks, some transit apps and mapmyride) but it's definitely not the end of the world for me. And these will come in time anyway. If only they brought official Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts apps...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife switched to a Lumia 1020 from an iPhone 5 and my daughter to a Lumia 1020 from a 4S and after initial setup and things neither one has turned on their iPhones. They are both largely happy with the switch. The biggest issue for them is just learning where some functions are and that isn't too big of a deal. It is nice having everyone in the family on the same ecosystem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire