Who has made the iPhone switch?

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm still debating on trying the Icon OR a future 8.1 WP as my first windows phone. Ive been researching apps and seeing what's compatible and which ones are not.
I and perhaps many others are thinking of switching to WP from the iPhone (iPhone 4S to iPhone 5S.) -- I got this idea from someone who posted this but talked about Android. @cbreze

What do you think about the quality of multi-tasking? Also, what is it like to have no notification center (right now, I know there will be one in the update)? Anyways, I would just like to know how the switch is going for all of you.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The multitasking is something I believe to be in a similar vein of iOS, although potentially less functional although I'm not entirely sure. But it works well enough for me, and I'm from webOS, which I still consider the de facto standard for multitasking and workflow.

Having no notification center can be a minor annoyance, but the functionality of live tiles has diminished the urgency of such a feature. My only gripe is that we won't always know if there is a notification from an app which is not pinned on the start screen.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I ditched my old trusty iphone 4 way back when lumia 920 was released. I missed some games but luckily now they are avaliable on windows phone 8. Here are the list of application I used on my iphone 4, whatsapp,skype,safari,mail,temple run 1&2,subway surfers , Rayman jungle , onenote,picsart,minion rush ,quizup ,drawsomething , beach buggy blitz , riptide gp 2 , asphalt 7 , real racing 2.
At the time when I purchased lumia 920 , 80% of the applications I used were avaliable , some games were left but now 99.9% of my fav applications are avaliable , some official and some 3rd party apps which are far more better than official applications on ios.
If you are trying to made a switch just go to windowsphone.com amd serach for your apps , trust me you won't regret or going to booring icons , ios 7 killed my iphone 4 , I gifted that to my nephew who is just 6 and he listens to his rhymes , paint.

cdd543

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm still debating on trying the Icon OR a future 8.1 WP as my first windows phone. Ive been researching apps and seeing what's compatible and which ones are not.
I and perhaps many others are thinking of switching to WP from the iPhone (iPhone 4S to iPhone 5S.) -- I got this idea from someone who posted this but talked about Android. @cbreze

What do you think about the quality of multi-tasking? Also, what is it like to have no notification center (right now, I know there will be one in the update)? Anyways, I would just like to know how the switch is going for all of you.

The multi tasking looks similar, but is less functional. There is a limit of 5 or 6 cards and several can be of the same app running--very odd implementation. I have the 5S and the icon.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the iPhone 5 to the 1520 a caouple of months ago. Outside of getting used to the physical difference from an iPhone which literally hadn't changed very much since the first one, I've adjusted fairly well. As mentioned above, live tiles and Glance on the 1520 are used WAY more by me than I ever used notification center on the iPhone...and it's coming with 8.1 anyway. While I had a TON of apps, I realized after switching to WP that I hardly used any of them and the ones that I do use daily (Waze, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIN, etc.) are all on WP.

Can't wait for 8.1 to see how much better it gets!

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I am an iPhone 5S user on Verizon and tried the 1520 the week it was released. I loved the hardware and O/S was kind of cool. But for me AT&T service was a deal-breaker. Their coverage at my house is terrible. So I returned the 1520 for a refund knowing from the leaks that the 929/Icon was coming for Verizon. When it was released this week I got it around lunch time on release day and popped in my Verizon SIM from my iPhone 5S. So far I am enjoying the Icon. Yes some things in WP8 suck but some things are great (mail folders, friend groups, email interface, screen size). So I'll probably sell the iPhone 5S and use the Icon until the iPhone 6 comes out later this year. I don't usually stay with any phone longer than 6 months. For now the Icon and WP8 are a refreshing change from the boring static home screen on iOS.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I am an iPhone 5S user on Verizon and tried the 1520 the week it was released. I loved the hardware and O/S was kind of cool. But for me AT&T service was a deal-breaker. Their coverage at my house is terrible. So I returned the 1520 for a refund knowing from the leaks that the 929/Icon was coming for Verizon. When it was released this week I got it around lunch time on release day and popped in my Verizon SIM from my iPhone 5S. So far I am enjoying the Icon. Yes some things in WP8 suck but some things are great (mail folders, friend groups, email interface, screen size). So I'll probably sell the iPhone 5S and use the Icon until the iPhone 6 comes out later this year. I don't usually stay with any phone longer than 6 months. For now the Icon and WP8 are a refreshing change from the boring static home screen on iOS.

I'm sure you'll love the Icon even more after 8.1!

videoouija

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a die hard iPhone user but have also kept a second (and third) windows phone line since Nokia started releasing. I think if I were looking to do a cutover I would wait until 8.1 is officially announced and we know exactly what will be in it. Don't get me wrong there is a lot windows phone does right but Microsoft has been slow to update and add features the way I was hoping they would. That said, if I didn't live on my iPhone, I would (and do) go windows phone. Android just isn't for me

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 cannot come fast enough, who the heck wants to worry about remembering every night to turn down the volume of their cell phone? I am a registered Windows developer so hopefully they will release the developer preview next month.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 cannot come fast enough, who the heck wants to worry about remembering every night to turn down the volume of their cell phone? I am a registered Windows developer so hopefully they will release the developer preview next month.

Or you could just get the Quiet Hours app....

shaskell724

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
thanks everyone! What do you/or anyone else think of the apps? Do the ones you use crash a lot or are they pretty stable? I feel like when I look at the store not to many apps have high ratings except for Rudys apps. Also.. what are some things that WP does that is better than what the iPhone does? Besides photos... also... (sorry haha) does the photo lag bother you? I like taking a lot of photos, quickly, and I'm not sure if the lag would bother me on a WP.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks everyone! What do you/or anyone else think of the apps? Do the ones you use crash a lot or are they pretty stable? I feel like when I look at the store not to many apps have high ratings except for Rudys apps. Also.. what are some things that WP does that is better than what the iPhone does? Besides photos... also... (sorry haha) does the photo lag bother you? I like taking a lot of photos, quickly, and I'm not sure if the lag would bother me on a WP.
if you want quick photos, use the default app.

kahligula

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Manual adjustments and some bells and whistles, but the photo quality is the same regardless of whether you use Nokia camera app or not

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking is almost identical to iOS.

Apps are probably not a problem anymore.

I am enjoying my 920 than my iPhone 5 but both phones are really good. Try the WP out it's really a solid phone

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
This is my 4th month on WP. And I love my NL925. As long that the improvements continue as they are at WP I'll never go back to the iPhone. As for the apps it all depends what you need. Most of my favorite apps are already here.
I am just waiting for a couple more apps to appear. Notifications will come on the next update. Will see but I really don't miss notification. I never really used it with the iPhone.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Yep had the 5s switched to a g2 and now a 1020. Absolutely love the os. The apps are so much cleaner and nicer looking then anything on android. Oh and the phone runs without a hitch ala iPhone. Nothing to not like. Plus the camera runs miles around anything out by a mile and a half

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time WP user, we have come a long way and major updates are coming about once per year. Which I think most are happy with. 8.1 is going to bring most features that people want. Regarding multitasking, iOS is nice because there seems to be no limit (or a very high) number of apps that remain open in the background. WP is much more limited with this.

The one feature I still want is wireless printing options.

Other than that, MS has to continue to get apps to the platform. They've done a good job but there are a lot of apps that we need. (banking, shopping, etc)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea