Lumia Icon on AT&T - where is the MMSC APN field?

jlesavoy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I purchased a new icon on Thursday. I am an AT&T customer, so I replaced the VZ nano sim with an ATT nano SIM. The phone works great as a phone, I have HSPDA+ for internet, which is downloading and uploading at around 3MBs according to the speedtest.net app. BUT, I do have the following issues that I was hoping someone could help me with.

1. The Verizon splash screen is something I would like to remove (minor)

2. No MMS: Where is the MMSC APN field? There is one for internet under Settings -> cellular, but no MMSC APN. I compared this screen with a Lumia 1020, and it looks exactly the same, except there is a second button for APNs labeled New MMSC APN. This means that multi-media messaging is not working. SMS works fine.

3. Voicemail and contacts are strangely unstable. What I mean by that is visual voicemail works sometimes. It keeps asking me to enter my vmail pin, which I do, and it fails. Every once in a while it accepts the pin, and the visual voicemail works for a short time. Also, if I call my voicemail, it does not automatically recognize my phone number, and therefore can not associate my phone with my vm box. The phone has similar issues identifying phone numbers that are already in my contact list. I believe this has something to do with the fact that there appears to be an extra '1' put in front of some numbers.

Other than that, I think this phone is awesome!

If anyone needs any help doing what I did, let me know. And if anyone can help me, I would appreciate it!

Thanks

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
It looks like you and I are in the same boat here so hopefully we can get this figured out as I also am very happy with this phone. I will say that I am able to send mms messages just cannot receive them. I downloaded the Access Point app and everything seems to be working except, as I said, the receiving of mms.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Can't answer your questions but I would be surprised if using - or *trying* to use - the Icon on AT&T didn't leave gaping holes in the user experience.

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
scottitude the phone works pretty damn good on at&t as both of us have stated with the exception of the mms issue for me and the voicemail issue jlesavoy is having (I use google voice). jgbstetson I did download and am using the Access Point app and as I said I have no problems sending mms only issue on the phone for me is receiving mms.

scottitude

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It's great that you're satisfied, that's all that matters with any consumer product. For me, no mms and/or inconsistent voicemail access would be deal-breakers, especially on such a great phone like the Icon. I want a full-featured experience so I've gotten used to size of the monolithic 1520.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
scottitude the phone works pretty damn good on at&t as both of us have stated with the exception of the mms issue for me and the voicemail issue jlesavoy is having (I use google voice). jgbstetson I did download and am using the Access Point app and as I said I have no problems sending mms only issue on the phone for me is receiving mms.

I had that same problem using a 1520 on T-Mobile. The solution was to wipe all the internet and mms apns under cellular settings and manually create a new access point. When I used both cellular and access point, they seemed to conflict even though they were set to the exact same thing. But that wouldn't really apply here, sorry. Good luck to you both, I really like the Icon.

Last edited:

jlesavoy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I found the answer to the MMS issue (as it sounds like a few of you did, as well). I couldn't find the Access Point App just by searching on the Windows Store. But, I used the link in another thread here, about Rogers MMS issues on the Lumia 920, and that took me to the app, which installed, and automatically re-enabled the MMSC fields, and populated them. So, the only real issue I have remaining is the Voicemail issue. What is odd, is that if I dial the normal access number or AT&T Voicemail (253-709-4025), it doesn't recognize my phone and says it needs more information. I think the reason is because Verizon might insert a +1 in front of caller id, which is not what AT&T expects (or visa versa). What I really am trying to figure out is how I got it to work once (because it did work once).

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I am with T-Mobile, but I think the issues will be similar to ATT. Couple of questions

- did any of you get LTE with ATT (there were conflicting suggestions if it was possible)?
- does everybody have this issue with Voicemail?

This mess with the numbers seems like small thing, but in reality can be very crippling. A family member is using Verizon x8 on T-Mobile, and there is a famous problem of not being able to answer text messages. I suspect the reason is the same as yours - they either stick a spare +1 when answering text, or do something similar, but T-Mobile does not recognize it. As a matter of fact, could someone test this issue? See if it is possible to have SMS conversation back and forward in one thread

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I have no problems having a conversation back and forth in an sms thread and once again have no problems sending mms. My only issue is when receiving an mms (which includes group texts) I cannot receive.

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry also, no LTE only HSPA+ which I am fine with since I am coming from a Nexus 4 with no LTE. Also in case it matters or it helps anyone else I am in the Los Angeles area.

jlesavoy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you able to send and receive mms? I have had no problems sending mms buy I can't receive. Can you please confirm?

I have the exact same issue. I can send but not receive MMS. I'm still working on it, though. I think my voicemail issue is actually my account, not the phone. I am on hold with ATT right now. I will post when I get it resolved.

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
jlesavoy Thanks for the update. I was just about to call at&t and see if they could help at all also. I will wait and see what you find out otherwise I may have to return mine and go back to an at&t phone as I greatly depend on using group and picture messaging. I hate to lose the amazing screen on the icon if I don't have to. Please post your results when you have them.

jlesavoy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I haven't gotten very far with support. I think the mistake I made is that I changed the IMEI on my account for this line to the IMEI of my icon. This seems to have confused their system since they obviously don't have a Lumia 929 profile. I have two possible solutions, which I will try later today or tomorrow if I have some time. The first is to switch out my IMEI with that of a 1520 (which is the closest AT&T model to the Icon), the second, and I could use some outside advice on this one, is to reflash the icon with the NaviFirmPlus profile of a 1520 for AT&T. I am not so sure on that one, since I don't have a full understanding of the relationship between those images, drivers, and the difference in the hardware between the two devices.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gotten very far with support. I think the mistake I made is that I changed the IMEI on my account for this line to the IMEI of my icon. This seems to have confused their system since they obviously don't have a Lumia 929 profile. I have two possible solutions, which I will try later today or tomorrow if I have some time. The first is to switch out my IMEI with that of a 1520 (which is the closest AT&T model to the Icon), the second, and I could use some outside advice on this one, is to reflash the icon with the NaviFirmPlus profile of a 1520 for AT&T. I am not so sure on that one, since I don't have a full understanding of the relationship between those images, drivers, and the difference in the hardware between the two devices.

Ehhhhhhhh, outside of different screen tech, micro-SD available in 1520, wireless charging built in to Icon, CDMA/LTE radios for the Icon, not much. What could go wrong?!

(I wouldn't do it)

bruinsphan

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well I hate to say it but I think that I am out with the Icon. Unless someone can come up with a solution on the receiving mms in the next day I am going to return mine and wait for an equivalent to come to att.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)