Lumia Icon on AT&T - where is the MMSC APN field?

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Well I hate to say it but I think that I am out with the Icon. Unless someone can come up with a solution on the receiving mms in the next day I am going to return mine and wait for an equivalent to come to att.

I was thinking to get it for T-Mobile. No one reported on T-Mo yet, but based on my previous experience, and all the info I received, the following can be expected:

1. It will be unlocked out of the box
2. There will be no LTE speed
3. As it is reported in this thread, to put it to work with T-Mo data plan additional tweacks may be needed (install Access Point app)
4. No guarantee all features will work. Like receiving MMS or something like not being able to reply to text messages (similar to Verizon x8 on T-mo)
5. No guarantee the updates will be coming. (Verizon x8 on T-Mo never received GDR3 for example)

So I give up. I will be waiting for global version - 929.

jlesavoy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I solved the voicemail issue by changing my IMEI in my account to the IMEI of a Lumia 920 I have. Once applied, I rebooted the phone and the visual voicemail accepted my password and started to work.

Still working on the MMS issue.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with a Verizon 8x on AT&T, no MMS and no access to the settings for MMS. I know that doesn't solve the problem, but the problem may be unsolvable...

boo516

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of switching my 920 for the ICON. Does the op think that it's worth it to take the plundge? (Do these errors make you regret the purchase?)

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
No Glance if you use that.

Its better obviously. I own a Lumia 928 but I'm looking at ebay to swoop and get one.

If you plan on staying with AT&T, you might need confirmation that the Lumia Icon can receive MMS. Data, SMS will work. Sending MMS is even possible. This is all because of the APN for AT&T being blocked. This is info I didn't research and was a little steamed that my Lumia 928 is unlocked, but doesn't play nice with GSM carriers. Just FYI confirm before buying.

If you are going to Verizon its a no brainer, since your last phone was a Lumia. Android users like myself have growing pains of adopting WP8. You'll be fine

Rperk211

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
so i have a iPhone 5s on AT&T. i have really been looking at the windows OS and nokia phones. My biggest reason for wanting to switch is a bigger screen. now i have looked at the 1520 and its just to big. now i see that the ICON has a 5" screen. so i went to the verizon store and looked at it and LOVED it. SO to make a long story short, can i buy a ICON from verizon and put my iPhone 5s sim in it and use it? i know i won't get 4G speed , but I'm on wifi most of the time anyway. so thats not a big deal.

can some one please give me some help?

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Rperk, they both use the nano-sim, so you should be all set for the switch. Everything will work besides not being able to receive picture messages, which is annoying. Just use snapchat hahaha

jlesavoy

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I made some progress, although strange progress. I decided to try something different. I purchased a Straight Talk sim and put it into my Icon, then added an APN for ST in Access Point. And... MMS works in BOTH DIRECTIONS. So, my question is, why won't this work with my AT&T sim? Straight Talk uses AT&T, so it's the same network. Any advise would be helpful.

S_C_B

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the Icon have LTE band 4, which is also known as AWS? So, shouldn't you get T-Mobile LTE?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

sraina

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking to get it for T-Mobile. No one reported on T-Mo yet, but based on my previous experience, and all the info I received, the following can be expected:

1. It will be unlocked out of the box
2. There will be no LTE speed
3. As it is reported in this thread, to put it to work with T-Mo data plan additional tweacks may be needed (install Access Point app)
4. No guarantee all features will work. Like receiving MMS or something like not being able to reply to text messages (similar to Verizon x8 on T-mo)
5. No guarantee the updates will be coming. (Verizon x8 on T-Mo never received GDR3 for example)

So I give up. I will be waiting for global version - 929.

I tried it on T-Mobile - it works with LTE speeds (in San Francisco Bay Area). However, there is no icon for data or network connectivity - which makes the phone look as if there is no network connection. One other issue reported is no capability to send SMS - you can receive but sending only works if you drop down to 2G speed

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have gotten two Lumia 822s to work on Straight Talk with ATT SIMs. I know that's now what is being discussed here, but I do have a thought that may. First, here's a link to the 822 discussion, and maybe you can glean something from that. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-822/211296-4.htm#post2259713

But the other thought is this - and it's a weird one. On both of the phones that I put on Straight Talk, I had the exact same experience. That experience was that when I put the settings into Access Point, I had no MMS, as you have seen in this discussion already. But I deleted the settings and tried again. Then I deleted the settings and tried again. On both phones, the experience was the same - the third try worked. I know that I entered the settings correctly each time, but the third time worked, on both phones.

Maybe that will help you, maybe it won't. I'm hoping it does, so you can enjoy your phones and stop being frustrated by them.

eduardo ortiz3

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi to all! Someone try to make Verizon official unlock? Today was advised me where to turn. Tomorrow will write the result

Hi please let me know how it went, I want to buy an Icon to use with AT&T, but I have been on the fence because of MMS and other problems they are reporting here.

Nextnexus

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, take it for what it's worth, but I have done some extensive research and had numerous Technical Service conversations with tier 2 technicians at ATT. My findings are that At&t's MMS service is not compatible with this phone in any way. Its not the MMS APN settings, or radio issues. It has to do with the global roaming features of this phone defaulting to the VZN messaging servers regardless of the access point settings.

Sorry All, I had to learn the hard way about this. Hope it may help some make a decision if they are on the fence. I feel that a great camera with no native picture messaging seems silly. The Icon is a great piece of hardware, and 8.1 DP definitely is a big step up for the platform.

Lehan72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm returned my Nokia. Excellent cellphone, but don't work properly with others carriers. / Cry
p.s. may be i'm buy HTC M8 ... S-GS5 , imho, is a toy .

moose9703

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but I made some progress, although strange progress. I decided to try something different. I purchased a Straight Talk sim and put it into my Icon, then added an APN for ST in Access Point. And... MMS works in BOTH DIRECTIONS. So, my question is, why won't this work with my AT&T sim? Straight Talk uses AT&T, so it's the same network. Any advise would be helpful.

Well that doesnt make sense. The ST sim that you used was it an ATT or Tmobile sim? Because if its an ATT sim then we should definitley be able to get mms (receiving) to work with AIO. And im having the same issue everyone else is having.. Using the Icon with AIO and i have everything working except for receiving mms. Obviously you cant get att LTE as well..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss