High rez photo upload

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I plugged the phone into my PC and went to the phone icon under My Computer and made sure to C and P the RAW photos instead of the compressed one to my desktop. Now, if I delete all of the compressed photos off of my phone, will the uncompressed ones still show up if I'm browsing through the photos on my actual phone?

No they won't unless you are using a third part app like Pocket File Manager And even then you need a third party RAW image processing app for the phone. If you want to keep the images on your phone. Copy the DNG files to your computer and keep the JPG files on your phone. That way you can still show them, but have the hires RAW images for archival purposes.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I see that there is a lot of confusion about RAW image capture, and what the differences between RAW image capture and JPG only mode.

RAW is an unprocessed, uncompressed image, where as JPG mode is processed using the software on camera and compressed. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

RAW Capture Advantages:

High resolution
Greater options post capture (i.e. noise reduction, sharpening, exposure, white balance, color saturation, etc.) You can increase or decrease exposure by up to 3 stops.
Non-destructive/non-permanent (meaning any changes you make can be zeroed out and start over

RAW Capture Disavantages:

Larger files (up to 20MB per image)
Need to process image prior to uploading to Facebook sending via MMS, Tweeting, etc.
No RAW image processing (right now) built into the device, must be processed on a computer (Windows/Mac). I'm not sure if you can on a Chromebook.

JPG Capture Advantages:

Smaller files (roughly half the size or smaller than the RAW file)
Ability to immediately upload to social media, email, text, etc., without having to convert (process) the file.
Plenty of apps image editing apps available for on device editing (i.e. Nokia Glam Me, 4Blend HDR, etc.)

JPG Capture Disavantages:

Limited post capture options (white balance, exposure, noise reduction, etc. are set by the camera and cannot be changed post capture).
Editing a JPG is destructive, therefoer if you make any changes, it's permanent. You cannot go back and zero out the changes and start over.

So if you want almost TOTAL control in post capture image editing, are not concerned about space, and willing to sit down and download the images to your computer to process them, then RAW capture is for you.

If you are just posting to Facebook, Instagram, emailing, sending MMS, or Tweeting, then stick to JPG capture.

The upshot is that you can change from RAW to JPG capture and back on the fly. Thereby allowing you to tailor your photography to your needs.

Jeremy Lebens

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this breakdown Timothy. I'm definitely going to delete the RAW files after I've transferred them over to my PC. Guessing that having two versions of each photo would eat up free GB in no time.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, OneDrive uploads the high-res jpeg's, but it won't upload the DNG (RAW) versions. You have to use a third party app like Pocket File Manager to upload to OneDrive, or plugin via USB and download them to your desktop or laptop.

My Onedrive will not upload the high resolution jpg - there is only an option to save both 5mp .jpg + 16mp .jpg files. They are both there in the camera roll, but for some reason, only the 5mp image uploads to Onedrive. I have changed the Settings in Onedrive for "Photo Upload and download Size" to original, and this hasn't changed anything. The only way to get the full 16mp images to Onedrive is to copy and paste them into the Onedrive folder through Pocket File Manager. Has anyone found a way around this?

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My Onedrive will not upload the high resolution jpg - there is only an option to save both 5mp .jpg + 16mp .jpg files. They are both there in the camera roll, but for some reason, only the 5mp image uploads to Onedrive. I have changed the Settings in Onedrive for "Photo Upload and download Size" to original, and this hasn't changed anything. The only way to get the full 16mp images to Onedrive is to copy and paste them into the Onedrive folder through Pocket File Manager. Has anyone found a way around this?

Not yet. Maybe someone could write a win8 program to do it when the phone is plugged in, but otherwise I suspect the PFM is the easiest-.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

When you select "JPEG (5 MP) + DNG (16 MP)", the DNG is NOT a JPG. Only the "lowres" (5MP) photo is uploaded automatically to OneDrive, regardless of what quality you are shooting at. I believe they did that on purpose so users wouldn't bust their data caps accidentally. Their intentions are good, but I think we need some more options on quality level and file types to save as. It's a 20MP camera so we should have these options.

1. Aspect ratio (already have)
2. Format types
RAW Only
RAW + JPG (already have...sort of)
JPG Only (already have, with caveats (need more options here, i.e. with different resolutions and compression levels)

On the OneDrive side, we should be allowed to auto upload regardless of file type and resolution.

Read this thread I posted. It will help you understand the differences between RAW and JPG capture.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ture-jpg-image-capture-why-should-i-care.html

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
When you select "JPEG (5 MP) + DNG (16 MP)", the DNG is NOT a JPG. Only the "lowres" (5MP) photo is uploaded automatically to OneDrive, regardless of what quality you are shooting at. I believe they did that on purpose so users wouldn't bust their data caps accidentally. Their intentions are good, but I think we need some more options on quality level and file types to save as. It's a 20MP camera so we should have these options.

1. Aspect ratio (already have)
2. Format types
RAW Only
RAW + JPG (already have...sort of)
JPG Only (already have, with caveats (need more options here, i.e. with different resolutions and compression levels)

On the OneDrive side, we should be allowed to auto upload regardless of file type and resolution.

Read this thread I posted. It will help you understand the differences between RAW and JPG capture.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ture-jpg-image-capture-why-should-i-care.html

I am actually not even bothering with the DNG files (the chances of me actually doing post processing are slim - If im on vacation, I might toggle it on, but for the most part, im just taking pics of my kids, or friends. I only want the 16mp high res. jpg files, bu the only stupid option is to save both 5mp .jpg + 16mp .jpg files simultaneously. I really hope that MS finds this as stupid as I do, and fixes it in 8.1. Thanks for the link to the other thread.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Yes. There is one for Windows too.

But does it transfer the DNG files? THAT is the question. I doubt it does. The app was written before Nokia started incorporating RAW capture in its phones. The Windows Desktop version only recognizes the JPG, NOT the DNG.

Right now, the ONLY way to get the DNG files from your Icon is to either manually upload to OneDrive using Pocket File Manager (or similar app), or plug it using USB and accessing the phone thru Windows Explorer and copying/moving the files to your desktop.

Is that frustrating? Yes. Should Nokia make some updates allowing people to automatically download the DNG versions of the photos? Sure.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not yet. Maybe someone could write a win8 program to do it when the phone is plugged in, but otherwise I suspect the PFM is the easiest-.

There are several desktop applications out there that will do it automatically if you plugin via USB. Capture One Pro, Adobe's Lightroom, and Apple's Aperture (to name a few) will automatically copy the photos to where ever you tell the app to put them.

The problem is they all cost money and are not necessarily cheap. Adobe Lightroom is $199 for example.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion