02-28-2014 06:38 PM
40 12
tools
    Looking pretty hard at the Icon, but I'm wondering if I should wait until WP8.1 phones are out. I'll be new to WP but I keep reading different reviews (CNET/IGN/ETC) that the Icon is good, but waiting for the WP8.1 phones would be recommended. I'm new here, so please be nice. Thanks!
    02-23-2014 12:30 AM
    Looking pretty hard at the Icon, but I'm wondering if I should wait until WP8.1 phones are out. I'll be new to WP but I keep reading different reviews (CNET/IGN/ETC) that the Icon is good, but waiting for the WP8.1 phones would be recommended. I'm new here, so please be nice. Thanks!
    If you need it now, get a great phone, if you can wait until July, then wait. :)
    02-23-2014 12:35 AM
    It's up to you how long you want to wait. All current Windows Phone 8 devices will get the Windows Phone 8.1 upgrade. Windows Phone 8.1 devices will probably not be available until summer or fall.
    02-23-2014 12:37 AM
    Wait. Its just a month away and the new devices could be revolutionary.
    02-23-2014 12:39 AM
    Thanks everyone! Patience is not my best feature, but I'm gonna stick it out with my current phone until some 8.1 devices come out :D
    02-26-2014 05:43 PM
    Depends. Do you want a Lumia device on Verizon's network? If yes, don't wait. I doubt Verizon will get a WP8.1 Nokia device that's significantly better than the Icon.

If you want to see what the other guys bring, wait. The Samsung Huron (ATIV SE according to evleaks) could launch with 8.1, and it's similar to the S4. Also HTC is still rumored to be making a version of the One with WP in mind.

Don't forget, Verizon is terrible with getting high end devices early, with a few exceptions. Don't expect them to bend over backwards to jump on the 8.1 train.
    primortal and Tjarren like this.
    02-26-2014 05:52 PM
    Depends. Do you want a Lumia device on Verizon's network? If yes, don't wait. I doubt Verizon will get a WP8.1 Nokia device that's significantly better than the Icon.

If you want to see what the other guys bring, wait. The Samsung Huron (ATIV SE according to evleaks) could launch with 8.1, and it's similar to the S4. Also HTC is still rumored to be making a version of the One with WP in mind.

Don't forget, Verizon is terrible with getting high end devices early, with a few exceptions. Don't expect them to bend over backwards to jump on the 8.1 train.
    I agree with Joel, I love the fun of riding the wave of new cellular technology, I bought the Icon; as there doesn't appear to be anything close over the next 6 -8 months. With that in mind I paid cold-hard-cash for the Icon off contract.

Over many years, I spent many bucks in the old days when PC's were all the rage, when the cellular rage slows down, like it has, then I learned to manage my dollars at a rate of 2x full performance value. Enjoy the ride, as I guess the next ride big ride will be in wearables.

Thanks!
    02-26-2014 06:37 PM
    Good point, I want to stay with Verizon :)
    02-26-2014 06:37 PM
    Good point, I want to stay with Verizon :)
    Totally agree, if you're monogamous with VZW then the Icon is the one. mebbe another flagship in 2015 I would say, but why wait. Phones are starting to top out featurewise anyway (look at the gs5, nothing new)
    02-26-2014 08:57 PM
    It's going to be a lot longer than a month before Verizon gets another high end Nokia. More like 9 months... Minimum. I'd say, if you have an upgrade, use it. The sooner you use it, the sooner you'll have another one available. It's the best way to optimize your finances. This phone came out just a week ago, and it is SOLID. I'm loving it.
    02-27-2014 01:45 PM
    I'm going to wait simply because of how Verizon prices it's phones. (especially Windows phones) I got the HTC 8X on day one for $199.99. not a month later it dropped 100 dollars and now its free. The Nokia 928 followed a similar fashion. When the phone gets to 99 on ether Verizon (or most likely Amazon) I'll jump ship.

Only if I can find someone to give me an upgrade. I don't want to lose my unlimited data!
    02-27-2014 02:43 PM
    I don't want to lose my unlimited data!
    Verizon will not upgrade you if you want to keep your data. You can either pay full price, or use the payment plan Verizon offers (NOT Edge.)
    02-27-2014 03:07 PM
    Okay, ordered my Icon last night. I actually found a promotional code in another forum that dropped the price (with 2yr contract) to 139.99. FYI the promo code is VERIZON30
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    02-27-2014 03:22 PM
    Okay, ordered my Icon last night. I actually found a promotional code in another forum that dropped the price (with 2yr contract) to 139.99. FYI the promo code is VERIZON30
    Congrats! let us know how you like it when you get it.
    02-27-2014 03:25 PM
    I think that you will definitely be glad that you pulled the trigger on the Icon. I had been keeping an upgrade available for quite some time waiting on a device I actually wanted, the 928 just didn't quite do it for me. While there are a couple things I wish the Icon had, waiting for that one perfect phone means you'll be waiting for a LONG time! I've been around Windows Phone and Verizon long enough to know now was likely the best time to get a device that was at least close to my ideal. And I haven't looked back since!

The specs on the Icon are great and I'm definitely loving it. Just like others have said, we're not likely going to see another high end Nokia on Verizon for some time. It took them ages to finally release the Icon. Everyone new about it for months yet for whatever reason, be it testing or bugs or whatever, it took them quite a while to actually release it. So based on that and their past release history it's not likely that we will see another high end Nokia anytime soon. If ever... who knows the next "Lumia" we see on Verizon might be from Microsoft if it's more than a year away.

As you're new to the WP ecosystem, just go into it with an open mind. There will be some adjustments to be made and you may find some apps or features missing. Ask around on the forums if you need because often times there are fantastic 3rd party apps to fill many of those remaining gaps (some of which are better than official apps) but they aren't always apparent.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the Icon and welcome to Windows Phone!
    02-27-2014 04:49 PM
    Congrats on the Icon and welcome to WP8! I currently have an 822 and I'm really showing some self control by not jumping on the Icon, cause it is mighty tempting! Any questions regarding apps or settings, don't hesitate to ask, folks in these forums are really helpful.
    02-27-2014 05:00 PM
    Blkacesvf41, when were you in the service. I was also a Black Ace from 96-00.
    02-27-2014 05:11 PM
    Blkacesvf41, when were you in the service. I was also a Black Ace from 96-00.
    Dude! Then I probably know you. I was at VF41 from '96 till '99, Virginia Beach right?
    wpn00b likes this.
    02-27-2014 06:00 PM
    I'm going to wait simply because of how Verizon prices it's phones. (especially Windows phones) I got the HTC 8X on day one for $199.99. not a month later it dropped 100 dollars and now its free. The Nokia 928 followed a similar fashion. When the phone gets to 99 on ether Verizon (or most likely Amazon) I'll jump ship.

Only if I can find someone to give me an upgrade. I don't want to lose my unlimited data!
    I'm also waiting. I got it when it was $199 also.
    02-27-2014 06:05 PM
    Dude! Then I probably know you. I was at VF41 from '96 till '99, Virginia Beach right?
    Yep, I was an AT what was your designation
    02-27-2014 06:16 PM
    Yep, I was an AT what was your designation
    AMH then went to shooters shop. It's amazing but I can't remember anybody's name right now! I remember Scottie and Neave from Airframes, that's pretty much it.
    02-27-2014 06:43 PM
    AMH then went to shooters shop. It's amazing but I can't remember anybody's name right now! I remember Scottie and Neave from Airframes, that's pretty much it.
    No offense and it's cool that you guys might know each other but perhaps this can be moved to PM's rather than continuing in the tread? :)
    02-27-2014 06:46 PM
    No offense and it's cool that you guys might know each other but perhaps this can be moved to PM's rather than continuing in the tread? :)
    Already done, just cool to try and catch up with people you haven't seen or talked to in years that you might know. Especially military, most of best people I have ever met in my life was while active duty. I will end there.
    TheArcaneFlame likes this.
    02-27-2014 06:52 PM
    Our apologies about that, WPCentral friends! Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    02-27-2014 07:15 PM
    Yes I am aware of that. Sorry I didn't clarify. I have two upgrades ready, but like you said I cannot use them without losing my unlimited data. You are missing option number three, you can use a phone that is off contract on any line. What I did to upgrade to the 8X was a "piggy back" upgrade. I used another line to upgrade to the phone, then immediately switch back to the previous phone on that line thus kicking the 8X off and making it unlocked essentially. Then I just added that to my line and Blam! Don't have to get unlimited. So..
    TL:DR what I meant was see if. Can find a friend or family member with Verizon who has an upgrade but doesn't need it, pay them for the upgrade, switch phones and keep all my precious data.

Side note, are there any WiFi teetering apps for wp8? Only real reason I keep unlimited data mostly.
    02-27-2014 08:12 PM
40 12