The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-12-2014 11:35 PM
118 12345
tools
    Any Android users have Swiftkey withdrawal? I mean, it was a GAME changer...It's a tough give up...and I am gathering there are no custom keyboard allowed on WP?
    As of right now, you're correct, but in 8.1 there will be a keyboard just like swype with a little Microsoft pazzas thrown in ;) I do agree that Swiftkey / Swype was a feature I do miss, so will be happy when it comes, and just a little more than a month to wait. :D
    ret18057 likes this.
    02-24-2014 11:31 PM
    the reason for 2 pics is simple ....... oversampling which works great ....... I don't have time to explain it but its what the whole idea of pureview is really about and was 1st seen on the nokia 808 , do some research on it and then you will see why you have 2 saved photos , you can always change this in settings if you wish as well
    02-25-2014 12:47 AM
    Well i must agree with you because you find a ton of apps on a phone and look at the logs its last time it was used was 3-4 months ago i think it helps to keep apps to a minimum, I.G, FB, Twitter,Whatsapp, Youtube, and a few helpful tools and call it a day. I bought the Lumia hands down because mainly of office, open office is rubbish and is expensive for a clone. the outlook also very good, have all my 5 emails running on my phone. so long story short, Welcome aboard, many good things are coming.
    christenmartin likes this.
    02-25-2014 01:20 AM
    The only only impressive thing was the ultra saver mode, SMS + Voice + and Black/white turns off everything else. Thats like the only thing that really sounds innovative. Battery life on Androids are terrible. The Email application sucked life out of my Nexus 5. When I turned email sync off it lasted more than 5 hours. I was shocked.

Saw the GS5 but not really gonna get it. Haven't owned a Samsung since GS2. Still have it around. Still being developed with CM11. But got bored of Android. I carry two devices and have two andoid devices was really boring.

But yeah the ultra battery saver is something worth adopting.
    You say battery life on Androids suck, yet haven't owned a Samsung since the gs2?? I can tell you, Android battery life no longer sucks...I've owned every high end Android phone since their inception, and they have made huge strides in that department over the last 12-18 months. I currently get 7-9 hrs of screen on time with my Note 3 (the only true way to measure battery life).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-25-2014 01:24 AM
    the reason for 2 pics is simple ....... oversampling which works great ....... I don't have time to explain it but its what the whole idea of pureview is really about and was 1st seen on the nokia 808 , do some research on it and then you will see why you have 2 saved photos , you can always change this in settings if you wish as well
    Thank you. I appreciate all of you being patient with me. In all honesty, I swapped back to the S4 today at work. Came home, saw my wife's Icon, and though, "DAMN that looks good". So, tomorrow, I am going to swap back and keep at it (like I have been saying, I WANT to like it). Aside from app support, I think I am really getting hung up on the no notification/Glance, and this photo thing. Is there someone who, in a nutshell, can help me understand the camera? What kind of image am I getting from the S4 (size/quality) compared to what I get with the Icon? Is 32g enough to have without worrying about space? I am not a photo expert, but I would like the nice hi res pics for the future, keepsakes and such. But I don't understand what I am getting or giving up...

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to power through.
    02-25-2014 01:27 AM
    People, give Microsoft some time, its developing ! Wp 8.1 should be solving most problems... Besides, you can really enjoy with windows if you know how ! You'd be getting swype type keyboard in about 1.5 months (if you load wp 8.1 developer preview on April 2), and hosts of new improvements and features... Apps will soon follow ! :-) atleast you have the piece of mind that your data isn't being hacked ! :)
    02-25-2014 01:30 AM
    Thank you. I appreciate all of you being patient with me. In all honesty, I swapped back to the S4 today at work. Came home, saw my wife's Icon, and though, "DAMN that looks good". So, tomorrow, I am going to swap back and keep at it (like I have been saying, I WANT to like it). Aside from app support, I think I am really getting hung up on the no notification/Glance, and this photo thing. Is there someone who, in a nutshell, can help me understand the camera? What kind of image am I getting from the S4 (size/quality) compared to what I get with the Icon? Is 32g enough to have without worrying about space? I am not a photo expert, but I would like the nice hi res pics for the future, keepsakes and such. But I don't understand what I am getting or giving up...

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to power through.
    apps are always there, a little shortcomings but that's okay when you have a great ui and speed. With no hacking risk ;-). As for camera, s4 has a 13 megapixel camera (13 million pixels), while icon has 20 million pixel sensor with pureview technology and (most probably) carl Zeiss lens. Pure view is a technology which allows for astounding low light images, great colours, and lots more, with Nokia's renowned post processing (making pics fit for you). So you've got by far the best (actually second best, after 1020) camera phone. Along with that, you have nokia camera app, which won lots of awards here at wpcentral including best app of 2013, its an amazing app !!! I've feel in love with photography ever since i used it !
    ret18057 likes this.
    02-25-2014 01:37 AM
    There is a nice probability that glance would come in a few months, notification centre is coming very soon with 8.1, and lastly, the images you want to keep as keepsakes, there're always there. Connect to your laptop and go to camera roll, there you'd find all high resolution pics too ! You can also sync, it would copy all high res pics too ! (haven't tested it though) there are apps available for free which can even upload high resolution pics to your SkyDrive (no onedrive ;-) ), I've seen many but i don't remember any names, try searching ! :-)
    02-25-2014 01:42 AM
    For non English languages the predictions on SwiftKey aren't that good. Add to that second primary typing language and the mess is ready :-( what I've tried the wp keyboard, it seems very good even without "swipe".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    02-25-2014 01:43 AM
    Very nice read, loving how you guys are helping each other out here. There are quite a lot of things mentioned here that will be covered or completely fixed in the 8.1 update, in the mean time ask your questions and we'll all, as a community, try to help anyone out!
    02-25-2014 02:23 AM
    We windows phone lovers love to help people find their way about wp8, because that way we'd get more people on board this awesome os, and the more the people, the more the apps ! ;-)
    02-25-2014 03:07 AM
    You guys like swype key? How weird lol....I still prefer T9. I think I can type faster on T9 than I can on qwerty. I use to message people with my phone in my hoody pockets/pouch back in high school.

I took some pics with the Icon last night came out really nice compared to the HTC 8X. I just got my Icon yesterday too.
    02-25-2014 07:30 AM
    No i don't like swype, even i used to text from in my pockets until 6 months ago when i had a keypad rocking 'good old nokia' :-P, swype is helpful at times when you just have one hand to use, and a touch screen to spoil :-P.
    02-25-2014 07:52 AM
    For the record, it's not the swyping, it's the predicting. SwiftKey learns how you type (talk) and can predict your sentence structure. Not to mention insert punctuation, spacing, etc. It is really a top flight app...
    02-25-2014 11:42 AM
    You guys like swype key? How weird lol....I still prefer T9. I think I can type faster on T9 than I can on qwerty. I use to message people with my phone in my hoody pockets/pouch back in high school.

I took some pics with the Icon last night came out really nice compared to the HTC 8X. I just got my Icon yesterday too.
    I like it, though I also like the regular WP keyboard. I just like how it feels like you're building words with a swipe-style keyboard. :P
    02-25-2014 01:15 PM
    For the record, it's not the swyping, it's the predicting. SwiftKey learns how you type (talk) and can predict your sentence structure. Not to mention insert punctuation, spacing, etc. It is really a top flight app...
    windows phone 8 keyboard does all that ! Check out an article here at wpcentral posted about a month ago "how to get the most out of the keyboard" or something like that (you can bing), it'll tell you how to use it easily, and faster than swiftkey ! ;-) and it does learn how you type, it does insert punctuation, and it does predict, prediction being better than swiftkey :-P (used it on my bro's tab) infact it even learnt Hindi sentences (I'm indian) even when i typed with English set as my primary language, it actually learns, unlike other apps on android. (some people like to refer it as 'lagdroid', that's quite funny btw :-P)
    Last edited by Saksham Sharma; 02-25-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    02-25-2014 01:30 PM
    windows phone 8 keyboard does all that ! Check out an article here at wpcentral posted about a month ago "how to get the most out of the keyboard" or something like that (you can google), it'll tell you how to use it easily, and faster than swiftkey ! ;-) and it does learn how you type, it does insert punctuation, and it does predict, prediction being better than swiftkey :-P (used it on my bro's tab) infact it even learnt Hindi sentences (I'm indian) even when i typed with English set as my primary language, it actually learns, unlike other apps on android. (some people like to refer it as 'lagdroid', that's quite funny btw :-P)
    we don't google here XD , Bing it on ;)
    02-25-2014 01:35 PM
    7 keyboard tips that will make you type faster on Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

I love the world-flow feature in wp8 keyboard , it actually learns what you type and intelligently predicts the next word for you ;)
    ret18057 and christenmartin like this.
    02-25-2014 01:38 PM
    we don't google here XD , Bing it on ;)
    sorry ! ;-) (old habits die hard, but still, fun to say 'bing' and look at people's faces :-P) correction done :-P
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    02-25-2014 01:49 PM
    7 keyboard tips that will make you type faster on Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

I love the world-flow feature in wp8 keyboard , it actually learns what you type and intelligently predicts the next word for you ;)
    i am surprised how well it learns my hinglish even when i type with English as my default language, with all the words and sentences it predicts.
    02-25-2014 01:50 PM
    i am surprised how well it learns my hinglish even when i type with English as my default language, with all the words and sentences it predicts.
    I wish I had similar keyboard on my iPad , I can get one but have to jailbreak it via evasi()n tool and then find the keyboard on cydia , oh god that would be a headache , I am fine with the stock white keyboard :\ btw night :)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums
    02-25-2014 02:00 PM
    Sadly I'm pretty sure the Icon also does not have double tap to wake either.
    It is buggy anyway. It causes the lock screen double, triple or quadruple key presses. Which can make it maddening to enter your lock code. For some reason Nokia never fixes it.
    02-25-2014 02:06 PM
    It is buggy anyway. It causes the lock screen double, triple or quadruple key presses. Which can make it maddening to enter your lock code. For some reason Nokia never fixes it.
    it isn't that easy to fix it ! :-P I know sometimes it IS a pain, but still I've been loving it since day one !
    02-25-2014 02:46 PM
    I wish I had similar keyboard on my iPad , I can get one but have to jailbreak it via evasi()n tool and then find the keyboard on cydia , oh god that would be a headache , I am fine with the stock white keyboard :\ btw night :)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums
    so i know you're in India and not an NRI living in usa ;-) :-P night :)
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    02-25-2014 02:47 PM
    Any Android users have Swiftkey withdrawal? I mean, it was a GAME changer...It's a tough give up...and I am gathering there are no custom keyboard allowed on WP?
    You'll be getting a native swype alternative in 8.1
    02-25-2014 03:02 PM
118 12345