So I switched from a Galaxy S4 to the Icon and....

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I know you're probably tired of hearing this from me, but the lack of a notification option is simply baffling me to me...like algebra or women...

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Man if/when the ICON gets glance, you will **** your pants. It may not be the most outrageous feature ever thought of but, its so damn useful. My battery life is probably so good because I dont need to actually turn my phone on to check the time or if I have notifications. I probably do this like 500,000 times a day...:winktongue:

Chris Mooney

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Algebra isn't too bad....women on the other hand. I guess I'm lucky, I just upgraded from a basic phone for an Icon.....Ignorance is bliss I spoze. It sounds to me like 8.1 will cure many of the issues that are plaguing both iOS and android to WP users....at least that's the Kool-aid I'm drinkin'

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It is great to see you have jumped on board with WP. I'm glad you love your Icon! I'm sure you'll love it even more after 8.1! If you have any more questions, or run into issues, post a thread here on the forums, and we will do our best to help you. :)

hakimmmmm

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
good for you man
im planing on switching to WP
im a long time blackberry user and i love it and its qwerty
i used few androids such as htc one etc and used iphone 3gs and i think it was 2009
but using blackberry is sometimes really pain in the ***
my contacts sync with google my photos uploaded to box i used gmail and outlook emails
in short all my stuffs are scaterred around different service providers
and now i want to bring them all to WP hopefully
lets see how this nokia events go
cheerz

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Man if/when the ICON gets glance, you will **** your pants. It may not be the most outrageous feature ever thought of but, its so damn useful. My battery life is probably so good because I dont need to actually turn my phone on to check the time or if I have notifications. I probably do this like 500,000 times a day...:winktongue:

I thought I'd never use Glance, as I felt it was stupid, but it is very useful now, and got better with Black! People usually find double tap more useful, but not for me. I really hope the Icon gets these two features soon, so Icon users can enjoy it.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I be like, "No, but I do use the most common 15 that ain't on WP"...

Sorry, not trying to be an ***, but for the first time I am eyeing my S4 sitting on my desk and thinking, "precious..." Not that I like Android, and I have come to fear Google, but stuff jsut worked. It seems I am spending a lit of time trying to get my Icon to do stuff I took for granted on the S4. And this dual picture capture thing? It is beyond me what Nokia was thinking...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I be like, "No, but I do use the most common 15 that ain't on WP"...

Sorry, not trying to be an ***, but for the first time I am eyeing my S4 sitting on my desk and thinking, "precious..." Not that I like Android, and I have come to fear Google, but stuff jsut worked. It seems I am spending a lit of time trying to get my Icon to do stuff I took for granted on the S4. And this dual picture capture thing? It is beyond me what Nokia was thinking...

Explain further. Which apps do you use that you can't find, or that have no 3rd party ones?

And what do you mean you don't like the "dual picture capture thing"? What do you mean? Do you mean the Refocus app, or Smart capture?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Glad you like it. Now the next part is to be an evangelist for it. Go spread the word.

*Would like to see a follow-up from you in a month or so to see how you're still liking it.

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm an Android user and my main device is a Nexus 5. My second cell phone is Lumia 928. Only reason I got it is I love how high end Camera come with the Lumia, especially the flagship devices.

I like the minimalist, clean, fast, premium feel of the Lumia. I want to get the Lumia Icon. I didn't do research and bought the Verizon model out of impulse because it comes unlocked out of the box. Yes, the App front is most lacking but I'm approaching WP8 with a very open mind.

Browsers:
IE is terrible and stopped using it when I found UC Browser as an alternative. I really expected to find at least Opera Mini in the ecosystem at least.

Youtube App
Youtube app, I've been spoiled by the dedicated app available on Android. I know there is MetroTube but honestly refuse to pay for it because this is something Microsoft should have had fixed or resolved from Day 1 (Blame the MS vs Google). Also what I do not like is streaming videos, WP8 has no means of realizing that it's not using wifi and at least downgrade video quality so as not to kill data. This was really something that needs to looked at further.

Tex Messaging Export
This was so so big it became a dealbreaker when I realized I cannot export messages out of any Lumia devices. There are SMS backup on other devices, iOS, Android, this omission was so so annoying it made me regret getting the Lumia phone. I learned to just accept it. I'm still upset over this fact.

Music and Streaming
Google music missing is probably the main reason I'll keep my Nexus as my primary device. Also because I spent alot of time uploading my collection to Google music. I could upload them again should MS or Nokia offer similar service. I love the Nokia Radio app its actually way better than Google music's Radio function (its **** poor and have to skip tracks). I have audio books and what really disappoints me is that Music App can't remember the precise location to continue audio books. I haven't installed other music players but seeing ads on free apps just annoys me. Even the flashlight app has ads.

Here Maps Here Drive+
This here is total win towards Nokia. I can download the maps and essentially makes my Lumia into a fully functional GPS without the need of data. It even saves local businesses in the searches I was totally shocked at how well made this is. Don't miss google maps at all here.

Social Media
Well can't say I use social media much so can't judge. Don't use it even on my Nexus device, except for twitter and instagram. Lumia supports this and need to dive in a bit further.

Overall I'm still exploring and playing around with the WP8 and hoping for more improvements with 8.1. Lately google is really creeping me out and all the need to use the Google+ to login to everything. The other day while doing a voice search, it asked for voice recognition so that it learns my voice signature...... It scares the **** out of me how intimate google wants to merge with everything that I was taken back. So giving WP8 a shot. I will eventually switch but not overnight.

And in Lumia device, I am researching one that's totally unlocked and will play nice any and all GSM carriers. Not a verizon customer don't plan to be.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Again, no disrespect. If you can live without these apps, cool, I get it. Let me say I REALLY like the OS, and this device. Blazing smooth, crisp screen, great colors, good form factor. Feels sturdy.

App-wise is where I am falling off the train. I know some of these have alternative, work-around apps, but I don't want to work around, I want to work through. WP has been around for a while, and take Amazon mp3, for example. There are threads going back TWO YEARS asking for a WP app. So, for me, it seems I keep hitting walls ("Oh, there's no WP app for <insert app here>").

Dropbox (I know, Skydrive, but I use and like Dropbox. And I have 75g of storage.) Amazon MP3 (see above). Xfinity Home (my alarm system). AcuraLink (bought a new car yesterday, salesman was going on about all the cool stuff I can do from my app, oh, WP? Sorry, not out yet). Fitbit (I know, another workaround, but no syncing). Life 360 (family tracker for my kid), Flipboard, HBO Go, Photoshop Express. SwiftKey has been a savior on Android, WP keyboard autocorrect seems slow to me, and doesn't do auto spacing and punctuation. No voice typing (not Bing, but voice dictation. If you have used an Android, you know what I mean about dictating on the fly). That's what I found so far.

For the record, I am trying to differentiate between what is just different (learning a new OS) and what's missing. As I said, I like the OS. what I read about 8.1, I should like it even more. But I feel like an early adopter now, like I did with Android in 2007. There are a lot of people who don't understand why some of us "cry" over the lack of app support. I get it, great for you if you don't need or want some of the above apps. But it seems I am the demographic WP should be going after, Android converts who wants to get away from the Google Machine. And as I write this, I believe there is a 70% or better chance I will send back the Icon, wait to see what happened with 8.1, and return to my place in the cog of Google, Inc.

I WANT to get away from Google (this may be saving me from writing my week 1 review), but the lack of an LED OR Glance OR Double Tap is proving too much, I don't carry the Icon around, and I have it on a wireless charger that butts the power button against the wall, so checking messages is a pain. Is it a MAJOR pain? No, but it's something I don't have to do with the S4. My honest opinion is I feel like I am making a bunch of compromises to bail on Google. And when the threshold tips from form to function, I have to go with what works for me. I am trying to gut out one week, really give it a chance, explore the alternative apps you all suggest, but getting answers to "how to" questions is slow going.

The picture thing? This whole "taking two pics, one low one hi", but you can't just take a hi res, and you can't upload your hi res pic over the network thing. Madness to a layperson like me. Just take the damn picture, upload it to my Dropbox, and let's move on. I don't Facebook or Tweet, I don't need or want a low res picture.

My hope is 8.1 will tweak the usability of the OS, adding some of the more common features. The Icon is a great phone, and the OS was impressive to a new WP user. I talked my wife into getting an Icon, from a Note 3, and she loves it. It is a "work" phone for her, she doesn't do a lot of the entertainment based things I do with mine, and she likes and will probably keep it (I hope she does).

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
WP keyboard autocorrect seems slow to me, and doesn't do auto spacing and punctuation.

My phones, including the Icon, have always done auto spacing when using the auto-correct and predictive text systems. It enters a space after you select the word. And if you double space it will enter a period automatically. Is that something different than you are referring to?

I don't know about the predictive text being slow... I have never had an issue with it. I will say that I have found it to be very accurate and in my opinion it's fairly quick. If I actually trust and use it I can crank out full responses lightning fast versus fully typing them out. The first few letters and the next word is there for me. I should really use this more actually as I have found I can quickly build out a full sentence with just a handful of key strokes.

No voice typing (not Bing, but voice dictation. If you have used an Android, you know what I mean about dictating on the fly).

Long press on the Windows button and the phone will go into listening mode so you can use voice commands. One of those commands is the "note" command. Simply say "note" followed by your message and it will automatically create it in OneNote for you. Not only will it enter the text but it also saves the audio into OneNote as well.

Other voice commands include Call, Find, Open and Text.

Additionally, apps can be built to include voice commands that work with this system. For example Hey DJ, Stop the Music!, Top Task List and WPCentral.

When you are on the listening screen you can click the help icon and it will show you a quick list of items you can say. If you swipe to the left you can see which installed apps support voice commands. Clicking on any of them will bring up a list of commands that app supports.

Again... is this the sort of thing you are looking for or are you wanting something different than that?

Now I honestly don't have much experience with Android or iOS so I cannot really compare them but I've always felt that Windows Phone 8 had a fairly robust voice system. For example, you can fully control messaging using your voice. When a new text comes in it can ask if you want it read to you. If you say to do so, it will read the message to you and then ask if you want to reply, call or if you are done. If you choose to, you can then dictate your message and send if off all completely hands free. It actually works really well when driving or in situations where your hands are otherwise occupied.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that's very helpful. With Google, the keyboard has a mic icon. Push it and you can dictate in whatever field you are in in whatever app you are in. If the app allows typing, it allows talking For example, I start a What's App chat with you, we are typing, and I get in the car. With the app open, I can switch back and forth from typing to talking with dictation and back again. It is very convenient. But, alas, if that's all it was, I would be firm in the WP camp. The OS is too nice for that one feature...apps is where I am twitching...at least the apps I use...

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I think you all should try mytube, its free, and by far the best app ever imaginable. the best ui, and great features ! You wont look for a youtube app any further. Haven't seen metrotube, but its paid so not for non-paying people :p. Try mytube, you'll love it !

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
And btw, Xbox music does allow you to upload your music online to sync it across devices, so i guess you should be able to upload it for normal usage too. (though I'm not sure)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think you all should try mytube, its free, and by far the best app ever imaginable. the best ui, and great features ! You wont look for a youtube app any further. Haven't seen metrotube, but its paid so not for non-paying people :p. Try mytube, you'll love it !

the free trial is for unlimited use , in other terms if you want to support lazy worms just buy metrotube else keep using the trial mode ;)

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
So I was just watching the coverage of the Galaxy S5 and I can say i'm pretty glad I decided to go with the Lumia Icon. There's really nothing on the new S5 (had an S3) that would have made me want to upgrade to it.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
So I was just watching the coverage of the Galaxy S5 and I can say i'm pretty glad I decided to go with the Lumia Icon. There's really nothing on the new S5 (had an S3) that would have made me want to upgrade to it.

same ugly look of s5 , added new gold colour , fingerprint scanner and useless hear beat monitor :3 and same plastic body , oh scamsung !

Vmartinez39

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The only only impressive thing was the ultra saver mode, SMS + Voice + and Black/white turns off everything else. Thats like the only thing that really sounds innovative. Battery life on Androids are terrible. The Email application sucked life out of my Nexus 5. When I turned email sync off it lasted more than 5 hours. I was shocked.

Saw the GS5 but not really gonna get it. Haven't owned a Samsung since GS2. Still have it around. Still being developed with CM11. But got bored of Android. I carry two devices and have two andoid devices was really boring.

But yeah the ultra battery saver is something worth adopting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)