So I switched from a Galaxy S4 to the Icon and....

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
All in all this is what I am going to say. WP is an incomplete OS compare to Android. WP has its perks but ultimately its not complete until 8.1

Apps aside the big difference is that WP runs fast and Android runs sluggish over time but put Apps back into the picture and people will sacrifice phone speed for more features and its not just featured apps neither its actually phone features. Android is about 2 years ahead of WP and WP will catch up.

I switched for ease of access (integrated features) and phone speed. Quite frankly I was tired of flashing my phone to keep up in performance.

I will not convince anyone to switch to WP until WP is a complete OS.

When it comes to technology not only do I look at features but I also look at the vision/goal of the company. If I like it, I will support rather it be buying a phone or app.

Just as someone mention they will not pay for metrotube/mytube because its free on Android and that's cool and all but the way I see it is if you want to be a supporter then support if $.99 is too expensive for you than its too expensive for you. Not everyone is blessed and that's understandable

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
well said, fair and balanced. That's how I feel, I really like where WP is headed, but I don't know if it's there yet (for me).

Here's another question, I may be doing something wrong...while I was in navigation mode, I received some sort of alert (phone buzzed and alerted). There was no pop up or notification bubble, and I had to back out to the home screen to see what account received the message (in this case, it was an email). Is there a setting to correct this, so I can see quickly who/what was going off? I can't find it in settings...

Thanks

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Were you driving? You may have just went over the speed limit. If you dont turn it off or give yourself some leeway, it chimes when you go over the posted speed limit.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Were you driving? You may have just went over the speed limit. If you dont turn it off or give yourself some leeway, it chimes when you go over the posted speed limit.

LOL, no. I was fueling up, and when I backed out I did indeed have a new message. But there was no pop up or anything. I disabled the speed alert option...first thing...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know you're probably tired of hearing this from me, but the lack of a notification option is simply baffling me to me...like algebra or women...

Well, it will be here in a month or so.

Algebra is easy. It's just all logic. Women on the other hand still baffle me and I'm in my 40's.

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I truly am satisfied. Its a great phone. Fast, responsive, amazing screen especially in sunlight. I really can't complain. The FB app sucks, but it does for Android too.

My only real complaint would be the lack of a viable Google Music app, but Xbox Music works for me.

I think it was the perfect time to switch, especially since I just read the info on the Galaxy S5. Seems uninspired and I would have had a hard time justifying upgrading to it from my S4.

Btw, have had 5-6 compliments in the phone since I got it. People are impressed with the screen and think the start screen is "cool". I plan on reviewing it on Amazon sometime soon.

Thanks for all the welcomes BTW.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Any Android users have Swiftkey withdrawal? I mean, it was a GAME changer...It's a tough give up...and I am gathering there are no custom keyboard allowed on WP?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Any Android users have Swiftkey withdrawal? I mean, it was a GAME changer...It's a tough give up...and I am gathering there are no custom keyboard allowed on WP?

As of right now, you're correct, but in 8.1 there will be a keyboard just like swype with a little Microsoft pazzas thrown in ;) I do agree that Swiftkey / Swype was a feature I do miss, so will be happy when it comes, and just a little more than a month to wait. :D

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
the reason for 2 pics is simple ....... oversampling which works great ....... I don't have time to explain it but its what the whole idea of pureview is really about and was 1st seen on the nokia 808 , do some research on it and then you will see why you have 2 saved photos , you can always change this in settings if you wish as well

Athanville

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Well i must agree with you because you find a ton of apps on a phone and look at the logs its last time it was used was 3-4 months ago i think it helps to keep apps to a minimum, I.G, FB, Twitter,Whatsapp, Youtube, and a few helpful tools and call it a day. I bought the Lumia hands down because mainly of office, open office is rubbish and is expensive for a clone. the outlook also very good, have all my 5 emails running on my phone. so long story short, Welcome aboard, many good things are coming.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The only only impressive thing was the ultra saver mode, SMS + Voice + and Black/white turns off everything else. Thats like the only thing that really sounds innovative. Battery life on Androids are terrible. The Email application sucked life out of my Nexus 5. When I turned email sync off it lasted more than 5 hours. I was shocked.

Saw the GS5 but not really gonna get it. Haven't owned a Samsung since GS2. Still have it around. Still being developed with CM11. But got bored of Android. I carry two devices and have two andoid devices was really boring.

But yeah the ultra battery saver is something worth adopting.

You say battery life on Androids suck, yet haven't owned a Samsung since the gs2?? I can tell you, Android battery life no longer sucks...I've owned every high end Android phone since their inception, and they have made huge strides in that department over the last 12-18 months. I currently get 7-9 hrs of screen on time with my Note 3 (the only true way to measure battery life).

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
the reason for 2 pics is simple ....... oversampling which works great ....... I don't have time to explain it but its what the whole idea of pureview is really about and was 1st seen on the nokia 808 , do some research on it and then you will see why you have 2 saved photos , you can always change this in settings if you wish as well

Thank you. I appreciate all of you being patient with me. In all honesty, I swapped back to the S4 today at work. Came home, saw my wife's Icon, and though, "DAMN that looks good". So, tomorrow, I am going to swap back and keep at it (like I have been saying, I WANT to like it). Aside from app support, I think I am really getting hung up on the no notification/Glance, and this photo thing. Is there someone who, in a nutshell, can help me understand the camera? What kind of image am I getting from the S4 (size/quality) compared to what I get with the Icon? Is 32g enough to have without worrying about space? I am not a photo expert, but I would like the nice hi res pics for the future, keepsakes and such. But I don't understand what I am getting or giving up...

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to power through.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
People, give Microsoft some time, its developing ! Wp 8.1 should be solving most problems... Besides, you can really enjoy with windows if you know how ! You'd be getting swype type keyboard in about 1.5 months (if you load wp 8.1 developer preview on April 2), and hosts of new improvements and features... Apps will soon follow ! :) atleast you have the piece of mind that your data isn't being hacked ! :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I appreciate all of you being patient with me. In all honesty, I swapped back to the S4 today at work. Came home, saw my wife's Icon, and though, "DAMN that looks good". So, tomorrow, I am going to swap back and keep at it (like I have been saying, I WANT to like it). Aside from app support, I think I am really getting hung up on the no notification/Glance, and this photo thing. Is there someone who, in a nutshell, can help me understand the camera? What kind of image am I getting from the S4 (size/quality) compared to what I get with the Icon? Is 32g enough to have without worrying about space? I am not a photo expert, but I would like the nice hi res pics for the future, keepsakes and such. But I don't understand what I am getting or giving up...

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to power through.

apps are always there, a little shortcomings but that's okay when you have a great ui and speed. With no hacking risk ;-). As for camera, s4 has a 13 megapixel camera (13 million pixels), while icon has 20 million pixel sensor with pureview technology and (most probably) carl Zeiss lens. Pure view is a technology which allows for astounding low light images, great colours, and lots more, with Nokia's renowned post processing (making pics fit for you). So you've got by far the best (actually second best, after 1020) camera phone. Along with that, you have nokia camera app, which won lots of awards here at wpcentral including best app of 2013, its an amazing app !!! I've feel in love with photography ever since i used it !

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
There is a nice probability that glance would come in a few months, notification centre is coming very soon with 8.1, and lastly, the images you want to keep as keepsakes, there're always there. Connect to your laptop and go to camera roll, there you'd find all high resolution pics too ! You can also sync, it would copy all high res pics too ! (haven't tested it though) there are apps available for free which can even upload high resolution pics to your SkyDrive (no onedrive ;-) ), I've seen many but i don't remember any names, try searching ! :)

Truman82

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
For non English languages the predictions on SwiftKey aren't that good. Add to that second primary typing language and the mess is ready :-( what I've tried the wp keyboard, it seems very good even without "swipe".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Very nice read, loving how you guys are helping each other out here. There are quite a lot of things mentioned here that will be covered or completely fixed in the 8.1 update, in the mean time ask your questions and we'll all, as a community, try to help anyone out!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans