So I switched from a Galaxy S4 to the Icon and....

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
We windows phone lovers love to help people find their way about wp8, because that way we'd get more people on board this awesome os, and the more the people, the more the apps ! ;-)

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You guys like swype key? How weird lol....I still prefer T9. I think I can type faster on T9 than I can on qwerty. I use to message people with my phone in my hoody pockets/pouch back in high school.

I took some pics with the Icon last night came out really nice compared to the HTC 8X. I just got my Icon yesterday too.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
No i don't like swype, even i used to text from in my pockets until 6 months ago when i had a keypad rocking 'good old nokia' :p, swype is helpful at times when you just have one hand to use, and a touch screen to spoil :p.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
For the record, it's not the swyping, it's the predicting. SwiftKey learns how you type (talk) and can predict your sentence structure. Not to mention insert punctuation, spacing, etc. It is really a top flight app...

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
You guys like swype key? How weird lol....I still prefer T9. I think I can type faster on T9 than I can on qwerty. I use to message people with my phone in my hoody pockets/pouch back in high school.

I took some pics with the Icon last night came out really nice compared to the HTC 8X. I just got my Icon yesterday too.

I like it, though I also like the regular WP keyboard. I just like how it feels like you're building words with a swipe-style keyboard. :p

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
For the record, it's not the swyping, it's the predicting. SwiftKey learns how you type (talk) and can predict your sentence structure. Not to mention insert punctuation, spacing, etc. It is really a top flight app...

windows phone 8 keyboard does all that ! Check out an article here at wpcentral posted about a month ago "how to get the most out of the keyboard" or something like that (you can bing), it'll tell you how to use it easily, and faster than swiftkey ! ;-) and it does learn how you type, it does insert punctuation, and it does predict, prediction being better than swiftkey :p (used it on my bro's tab) infact it even learnt Hindi sentences (I'm indian) even when i typed with English set as my primary language, it actually learns, unlike other apps on android. (some people like to refer it as 'lagdroid', that's quite funny btw :p)

Last edited:

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
windows phone 8 keyboard does all that ! Check out an article here at wpcentral posted about a month ago "how to get the most out of the keyboard" or something like that (you can google), it'll tell you how to use it easily, and faster than swiftkey ! ;-) and it does learn how you type, it does insert punctuation, and it does predict, prediction being better than swiftkey :p (used it on my bro's tab) infact it even learnt Hindi sentences (I'm indian) even when i typed with English set as my primary language, it actually learns, unlike other apps on android. (some people like to refer it as 'lagdroid', that's quite funny btw :p)

we don't google here XD , Bing it on ;)

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
i am surprised how well it learns my hinglish even when i type with English as my default language, with all the words and sentences it predicts.

I wish I had similar keyboard on my iPad , I can get one but have to jailbreak it via evasi()n tool and then find the keyboard on cydia , oh god that would be a headache , I am fine with the stock white keyboard :\ btw night :)

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Sadly I'm pretty sure the Icon also does not have double tap to wake either.
It is buggy anyway. It causes the lock screen double, triple or quadruple key presses. Which can make it maddening to enter your lock code. For some reason Nokia never fixes it.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
It is buggy anyway. It causes the lock screen double, triple or quadruple key presses. Which can make it maddening to enter your lock code. For some reason Nokia never fixes it.

it isn't that easy to fix it ! :p I know sometimes it IS a pain, but still I've been loving it since day one !

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I wish I had similar keyboard on my iPad , I can get one but have to jailbreak it via evasi()n tool and then find the keyboard on cydia , oh god that would be a headache , I am fine with the stock white keyboard :\ btw night :)

so i know you're in India and not an NRI living in usa ;-) :p night :)

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Okay, since you are all so nice to help me, here are some more questions...

-When I want to share a photo, What's App isn't an option. How do i change this so I can send a pic over that app?

-Attached are contact card and phone dialer screen. See that black area? Is the profile pic supposed to show there? I don't see any other linked contacts...ideas? (Note I have deleted the MetroTalk Free app since posting.)

-I am noticing that if I am in a program (photos, for example) and I get a new email or text, I hear and feel the notification, but there is no pop up telling me what just happened. How do I enable the pop up so I can quickly see who was contacting me in what program?

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140225_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140225_0001.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 7
  • wp_ss_20140225_0002 4.jpg
    wp_ss_20140225_0002 4.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 7

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Okay, since you are all so nice to help me, here are some more questions...

-When I want to share a photo, What's App isn't an option. How do i change this so I can send a pic over that app?

-Attached are contact card and phone dialer screen. See that black area? Is the profile pic supposed to show there? I don't see any other linked contacts...ideas? (Note I have deleted the MetroTalk Free app since posting.)

-I am noticing that if I am in a program (photos, for example) and I get a new email or text, I hear and feel the notification, but there is no pop up telling me what just happened. How do I enable the pop up so I can quickly see who was contacting me in what program?

1.i am not sure what you meant by there , if you want to share a photo from photo library , just tap on 3dots on the lower right side , it will open up different options like editing , share , tap on share and set of applications will be shown which support share options , for eg I have instagram,whatsapp,email,etc

2.no , profile pic isn't shown in dial pad :\ , the area remains black.

3.if you say for an email , yes email does not have any pop/push notifications , but texts,other apps can push notifications.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Or you can simply open WhatsApp and there go to the contact, click on attach, and then to gallery (you can attach videos too this way).
And yeah, there isn't any option to display mails like texts in toast notifications yet (that might be changed in 8.1 I'm not sure).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss