So I switched from a Galaxy S4 to the Icon and....

JBWonton

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear that man!
I went from iPhone 4s, to the Lumia 920, to a Galaxy S4, back to the Lumia 920, then upgraded to the Lumia 1020.

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
People have complained about the speaker quality of ICON. How good is it the speakers when compared with Galaxy S4?

To be honest, I feel as though the Icon is the same or louder than my S4.

The only difference is with my Bluetooth aftermarket radio in my car. I feel as though on the same radio volume level, the S4 was louder (not an issue, as I can raise easily raise the volume on the radio).

But just speaker level via the actual phone, it sounds great. And that's with the DualPro case on 24\7.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I feel as though the Icon is the same or louder than my S4.

The only difference is with my Bluetooth aftermarket radio in my car. I feel as though on the same radio volume level, the S4 was louder (not an issue, as I can raise easily raise the volume on the radio).

But just speaker level via the actual phone, it sounds great. And that's with the DualPro case on 24\7.

With headphone attached, does it have the music quality as good as Lumia 1520?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You have "double tap to unlock" without Glance? I thought they were connected features. I am on Verizon and have neither feature (that I can find, anyway). Can you tell me where in the setting I would find "double tap to unlock"?

nay , icon does not support any of them :\ my bad , I edited this post , you see my post here :(

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
People have complained about the speaker quality of ICON. How good is it the speakers when compared with Galaxy S4?

The problem with the Icon's speaker is its location. It's very powerful though. Can feel it pushing air quite strongly. If it had been spread out across the device or even located on the front it would sound awesome but just coming out of the back bottom left makes it sound very localized. It's not good for playing music or videos. Then again, in speakerphone mode, it's probably the loudest and clearest of any phone I've owned to date, my last two being a HTC One and a Note 2.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
The problem with the Icon's speaker is its location. It's very powerful though. Can feel it pushing air quite strongly. If it had been spread out across the device or even located on the front it would sound awesome but just coming out of the back bottom left makes it sound very localized. It's not good for playing music or videos. Then again, in speakerphone mode, it's probably the loudest and clearest of any phone I've owned to date, my last two being a HTC One and a Note 2.

You are absolutely right. I find that the speaker is not very good for music, but it's excellent when using speakerphone. Also, the Icon's four microphones and noise cancelling software make it sound to my callers like I am holding the phone to my head. The speakerphone in general is a win for Icon. The built-in speaker itself? Meh.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I know you're probably tired of hearing this from me, but the lack of a notification option is simply baffling me to me...like algebra or women...

It's coming. I've never had it, so I've never missed it. But I understand the desire to have it. I think most issues for people outside WP will be gone with 8.1 Even so, I'd never trade my WP device for Android. My brother's lag issues, poor recognition of a backup on a restore, inability to delete some prepacked apps, the inability of all apps to run predictably, and the lack of knowing if you'll ever get an OS upgrade are all huge negatives. He's moving to WP when his contract is up.

My phone is over a year old. I get better battery life now than I did when I got it in December of '12. It has updated the OS three times (how many Android handsets get updated so frequently?). The new features and updates have sped the phone up. It is just as smooth or even smoother than the day I got it. I have a Lumia 822 with VZW. I have several friends who use Android and have heard them complain of lag a month in.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung S4 and plan on getting an ICON when available to upgrade on the kids line (keeping that precious unlimited on mine).

How's that browser work? Does it load full sites good like the Surface RT Tablet I have or does it favor the mobile sites?

And can you go text while a video plays in the background?

One thing that sucks with Android is lack of true native multi tasking.
Everything requires a app to work around the Android handicaps.

I was able to do better multi tasking with my OLD WM5 and WM6 devices. (Palm Treo WM700 and HTC Imagio) before going to Android for a while.

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung S4 and plan on getting an ICON when available to upgrade on the kids line (keeping that precious unlimited on mine).

How's that browser work? Does it load full sites good like the Surface RT Tablet I have or does it favor the mobile sites?

And can you go text while a video plays in the background?

One thing that sucks with Android is lack of true native multi tasking.
Everything requires a app to work around the Android handicaps.

I was able to do better multi tasking with my OLD WM5 and WM6 devices. (Palm Treo WM700 and HTC Imagio) before going to Android for a while.

To be, the browser is better than on my S4. I haven't explored the bells and whistles, but its noticeably quicker. And adding and going to favorites (as well as pinning specific pages to the start screen) is great.

I typically don't use IE in my laptop, but for the phone and my Lumia 2520, it rocks IMHO.

In the setting you can toggle between Mobile and Desktop sites.

As for video, I tried the browser with YouTube and ESPN, and once you back out to text, the video stops.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I bought lumia 920 when it was released.used it for 3 months, was unsatisfied with battery backup, heating problem, a few apps not being available...I sold it off and got a note 2..since then using note 2 ( used wife's iPhone 5 for a month)..now, I miss the camera, os fluidity, build quality :(
Wanna come back to wp..let's see when icon is released in my country and what 8.1 holds..
IOS= overpriced POT
Android- same issues of lagging, waiting ages for updates, crap build quality of samesung. .waste camera..and I got bored...I can root it but I don't have time and patience to read tons of pages to do it..

Lumia ---- some day..
For all you guys using icon, any issues you encountered.???

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I know on the PC and tablet if you use metro IE and minimize the window the video will stop as well. Of course desktop IE keeps playing.
Of course the phone is only going to be like the metro app.

I guess there might be some aftermarket youtube players to get around that.
I have to do the same thing on the Android. I finally found a good player that would open youtube as default.

On my ol

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Good insight, thanks. I don't think that the app argument is "BS", though...I too was an S4 user, and while I look this device, some of my common apps just aren't here. And it makes me wonder why, since they are not small indie apps, they are major ones like Dropbox, Amazon mp3, Xfinity Home, stuff like that. The lack of a notification LED/Glance/double tap is gnawing at me like a badger caught in a trap. May not be a big deal to all, but it is to me.

I am going to try and hang in...

Use Pocket File Manager; it connects to Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Docs, and a few others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre