1st Icon casualty

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the phone. If you buy an iphone, it will certainly be that price. And a 928 is still 399 off contract.

That is new...your phone that you might/might not break is obviously not new. Looks to be decently common at a $200-$250 price point.

Obviously breaking a phone in Week #1 is winning the 'insurance lottery'... My thought on it...I have pocketed the $100x6 phones that I have not broken in my life...and if I DO break a phone, I just will go out and buy a $100 replacement (like a 820 or a couple 520s, haha) and if I regret not having the super duper features I once had on my fancy phone, I guess I SHOULDN'T HAVE DESTROYED IT!

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unless your phone was destroyed not of your own doing but by some moron running past you & you didn't save the money you saved by not getting insurance. Plus my insurance is only $4 per month w/ a $75 deductible if it breaks or gets stolen, water damage, etc waaaay cheaper than $10 per month with $100 deductible. The iphone on Verizon insurance plans have a $169 deductible :unhappysweat:

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just got the tracking number new phone will be here tomorrow. Total cost to get a brand new replacement....$79. Cost of getting screen repaired $256 including shipping both ways.

macroweb

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I dropped my phone and cracked the display yesterday too. Do you have Asurion as your insurance? They told me to wait until Wednesday, as the phone is not yet in their system.

I am so loving this phone.

Thanks for the help!

Macroweb

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Phone insurance is one of those things that you need to measure the cost and benefits. I've bought it a couple times through square trade when I purchased a phone through NewEgg and it was like $49 for one year. I've never had to use it.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I dropped my phone and cracked the display yesterday too. Do you have Asurion as your insurance? They told me to wait until Wednesday, as the phone is not yet in their system.

I am so loving this phone.

Thanks for the help!

Macroweb

Welcome to the club..... I have square trade, but they told me the same thing, I told them that was not acceptable. They said call back in 24 hours & we will have a new phone sent from Verizon they'll put it in their system & ship it to me to arrive Wednesday. I did & it shipped today.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Unless your phone was destroyed not of your own doing but by some moron running past you & you didn't save the money you saved by not getting insurance. Plus my insurance is only $4 per month w/ a $75 deductible if it breaks or gets stolen, water damage, etc waaaay cheaper than $10 per month with $100 deductible. The iphone on Verizon insurance plans have a $169 deductible :unhappysweat:

Yes, like I said, you won the lotto, haha. I don't know the odds on it, but show of hands, who has had someone run past you and knock your 1 week old phone to the ground and destroyed the screen?

1) Robinsonmac
2)

haha :winktongue:

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It obviously depends on how error-prone you are. I had insurance on my first few phones, but I never needed it. I don't know if I had it on Verizon, but that phone survived as well. I have had two devices get warranty replacements for being defective (HTC Droid Incredible and Motorola RAZR), but I've never broken a phone before I upgraded. I'd rather not spend the money on insurance when I've got no track record of carelessness. I've dropped my 920 a few times, but it's taken no damage.

My cousin, on the other hand, insurance was MADE for him. He has lost two phones, I think. One was replaced through insurance, if I remember correctly. The second, he used the upgrade that my grandma never used and got a 900. He's been living with a cracked screen on that for probably close to half its life because he's careless.

But like I said, given that I'm relatively careful with my phones, I don't see a need for insurance for myself. My next phone will have something like this happen to my though, just because I said something about it.

i wouldnt even say im overly protective with my phones. I do use a back case for it. But never lost or damaged a phone. But other people seem to be losing it all the time. And seems that every cracked screen appears to be an iPhone. Weird how some people can be so careless with their phones. The one year warranty is all i care about. I can get several bad phones with broken GPSs and crappy batteries

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, like I said, you won the lotto, haha. I don't know the odds on it, but show of hands, who has had someone run past you and knock your 1 week old phone to the ground and destroyed the screen?

1) Robinsonmac
2)

haha :winktongue:

It's not about luck or winning the lotto. Point is I bought insurance for instances just like these. And to me the cost/benifit is worth it. And @ $4 a month the cost is low enough, less than one cup of coffee at starbucks per month...... haha....:cool:

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
This just goes to show you: ALWAYS BUY INSURANCE!!! Especially since the Microsoft Complete insurance plan is a really good deal (assuming you buy your device from the Microsoft Store).

Anyways, we'll mourn the loss of your phone. Shame to see such an Icon (pun most fully intended) see such tragic fate, and so soon...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This is awful!

I don't have insurance because i am generally careful and I can't see paying 10 dollars extra month for something i likely wont use(especially given that i change phones quite a bit)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
New replacement phone arrived this afternoon. Just finished restoring everything. I did notice on this one the speaker is much louder than the last one. It's on par with the 928. I hope the camera module in this unit is good to go....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720