02-27-2014 03:24 AM
52 123
tools

Well, I have only had it since last Thursday & I will be receiving a new one Weds. It's my 1st broken phone ever. Glad I got insurance. 4 foot fall onto concrete flat on the glass & small pebble . No scratches on the metal at all.

wp_20140224_005.jpg
    02-24-2014 10:46 PM
    Yikes! I'm sorry that your Icon got a broken screen. Are you going to get a case for the replacement?
    02-24-2014 10:48 PM
    tear.....no likey
    02-24-2014 10:51 PM
    Nooooooo!!! Sorry for your loss. Glad you had insurance!
    02-24-2014 10:54 PM

Get insurance, people. Smartphones are delicate and expensive.
    02-24-2014 10:55 PM
    Unfortunately a case would not have saved it, the pebble it landed on was about 1/4" in diameter & the glass landed right on it.....
    02-24-2014 10:56 PM
    Unfortunately a case would not have saved it, the pebble it landed on was about 1/4" in diameter & the glass landed right on it.....
    Wow! Talk about really bad luck.
    02-24-2014 10:59 PM

Get insurance, people. Smartphones are delicate and expensive.
    Absolutely, I don't get why people don't get it, especially for these type of devices. If I had no insurance I'd be buying a new phone at retail pricing.....
    02-24-2014 11:00 PM
    Absolutely, I don't get why people don't get it, especially for these type of devices. If I had no insurance I'd be buying a new phone at retail pricing.....
    I think the peace of mind alone out weighs the cost. Especially through the Microsoft store. $100 for two years of insurance that covers everything except lost devices. $50 deductible really isn't that horrible when you're getting a brand new phone out of the box. You also get 20% off your purchase if you buy the insurance plan for the device at the same time. My store gave me that, anyway. Not sure if that's true for all Microsoft Stores or not.

It also enables me to roll without a case more freely.
    02-24-2014 11:03 PM
    Yikes scary stuff! I bought mine full retail but I'm pretty good about not dropping my phone!
    02-24-2014 11:03 PM
    I am also, I was bumped by some ***** running pass me. Nothing I could do but watch it fall in slow motion, glass down....
    02-24-2014 11:08 PM
    I am also, I was bumped by some ***** running pass me. Nothing I could do but watch it fall in slow motion, glass down....
    Please tell me you beat some ***!
    02-24-2014 11:10 PM
    did they stop to acknowledge their actions?
    02-24-2014 11:11 PM
    Nope, had headphones on & was oblivious...
    02-24-2014 11:14 PM
    Please tell me you beat some ***!
    I soooo wanted to but I had my 7 year old son with me...
    02-24-2014 11:15 PM
    way to make the adult choice.
    02-24-2014 11:28 PM
    Thanks, that was what you call a teachable moment that will stay with them.
    Laura Knotek and tgp like this.
    02-24-2014 11:36 PM
    Because almost every "insurance" policy for phones is a laughable scam that favor the insurer. Calculate the total cost of most insurance plans over the life of the phone, add in the deductible on most plans, and compare to the cost of the device. Congratulations, you bought it twice. Alternatively, if you like, compare the cost of the insurance for a phone to that for legitimate big ticket items and note the variance between cost and replacement value. Again, the numbers do not add up in the user's favor. It is also the rare person who ever needs to cash in to replace the device and the even more rare person who breaks the phone the week they bought it. Sorry but most consumer electronic insurance plans remain just as much of a scam as they ever were in the past. Of course throw in the fact that many home owner or rental policies will also cover replacement costs, as will some credit cards, and standing advice from consumer organizations to avoid such policies remain unchallenged....
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    02-24-2014 11:58 PM
    I've never taken insurance on any of my devices, but I've always used cases. The only drop I had was my Nokia Lumia 900, which was my mother's fault LOL. I was showing her a video, and she got excited while watching it and hit my hand, knocking the 900 onto the tile floor. I had an Otterbox case, so there was no damage.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    02-24-2014 11:59 PM
    Because almost every "insurance" policy for phones is a laughable scam that favor the insurer. Calculate the total cost of most insurance plans over the life of the phone, add in the deductible on most plans, and compare to the cost of the device. Congratulations, you bought it twice. Alternatively, if you like, compare the cost of the insurance for a phone to that for legitimate big ticket items and note the variance between cost and replacement value. Again, the numbers do not add up in the user's favor. It is also the rare person who ever needs to cash in to replace the device and the even more rare person who breaks the phone the week they bought it. Sorry but most consumer electronic insurance plans remain just as much of a scam as they ever were in the past. Of course throw in the fact that many home owner or rental policies will also cover replacement costs, as will some credit cards, and standing advice from consumer organizations to avoid such policies remain unchallenged....
    Why I generally shy away from insurance plans for some of these reasons, I've gotta say that the $6/month Asurian insurance through Verizon has paid off handsomely - THREE TIMES.

While I've never had to use it on my phone (knock on wood), my wife has dropped her HTC 8X into mugs of tea twice, and into a tub once. Sure, that's $72/year + $99 deductible for each incident. But that's three times in <2 years. I'm calling this is good investment - at least for her phone. For mine, they've just made $6/month off me.
    02-25-2014 12:14 AM
    Why I generally shy away from insurance plans for some of these reasons, I've gotta say that the $6/month Asurian insurance through Verizon has paid off handsomely - THREE TIMES.

While I've never had to use it on my phone (knock on wood), my wife has dropped her HTC 8X into mugs of tea twice, and into a tub once. Sure, that's $72/year + $99 deductible for each incident. But that's three times in <2 years. I'm calling this is good investment - at least for her phone. For mine, they've just made $6/month off me.
    That reminds me of this really old CrackBerry post dropped my bold in my beer - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    02-25-2014 12:22 AM
    So you're saying that the $4.125 I paid for the 1st month of insurance was not worth it? $99 for 2 years @ square trade. My deductable is only $75 With you logic I'd be out $550 to get a new phone. I have 2 high school kids who both have had phones that needed insurance claims, one fell into the ocean, another got knocked out of her hands, one got dropped. I suppose you don't have health insurnce, car insurance, mortgage insurance or life insurance either.....

I did have it cased but no case except maybe a life proof would have saved it. The phone landed glass down from 4' on a rock on concrete....
    02-25-2014 02:30 AM
    Yeah, there are some bad insurance policies out there. But that's not to say all consumer insurance policies are inherently scams. I think that for the amount of money paid for smartphones, and how delicate most of them are, there are some very reasonable insurance plans out there. I have never broken a phone in my lifetime, but I still purchased an insurance plan through the Microsoft store on this $600 phone.

Why? Because the peace of mind that comes with the fact that $50 gets me a brand new phone for the next 728 days is SO worth the $80 I paid for this insurance plan. I drop this phone once, and the insurance plan has covered itself more than three times over. Your math doesn't apply here, and neither does your condescending tone.
    02-25-2014 07:45 AM
    I thought the MS insurance was $100 billed annually or $10 a month?
    02-25-2014 09:24 AM
    I thought the MS insurance was $100 billed annually or $10 a month?
    I don't think so. One time payment of $100 with a $50 deductible to use the policy. Over two years, that comes out to about $4.17/month.

I'll check the paperwork when I return home from work this evening.
    02-25-2014 09:29 AM
52 123