OLED Screen Burn?

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'll soon be taking a trip across the lower 48. I'll be driving and using my Icon as my GPS. The trip should take about 3-4 days depending on how long I decide to drive each day; possibly 15-17hrs a day. (Last time I made the trip, I had a BB Bold as my GPS device. Oddly enough, I actually made it to the destination).

I've read some conflicting articles about OLED screens and screen/pixel burn. Do I need to worry about screen/pixel burn on my Icon since I'll have the GPS on the screen for very long durations?

sethman916

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
No... only an issue if you have the exact same image on screen for extended periods of time (300+)hrs. yours will be on less that that and the image will be constantly changing as it is a constantly updating map. No worries.

Interestingly enough I will be making the same trip in April from Sacramento, CA to Raleigh, NC.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Sweet. I'm making my way from the DC Metro to Los Angeles.

And on the HERE Drive+ interface, there are a few things that are static, e.g. "mph", "mi", but if the threshold is anywhere near 300 hours, I'll definitely be ok. Thanks for the reassurance!

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
One thing though your battery could well heat up. Its best you have your phone in front of the AC ducts or download the maps so that you dont have to access data which heats up the battery.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Out of curiosity, having driven cross country my self, do you really need the gps on at every moment? I would sometimes be on the 10 for 800 miles at a time, not really a way to get lost.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, having driven cross country my self, do you really need the gps on at every moment? I would sometimes be on the 10 for 800 miles at a time, not really a way to get lost.

Yea, I don't really need GPS to be on at all times. It's more of a security blanket than an actual source of direction. Better safe than sorry for me. Does HERE Drive+ audio-prompt direction if the screen is off? I haven't used it enough to know, but if it does, perhaps I can just do that for long stretches of road.

Let us know if you find a good one that doesn't.

Will do.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, like people are saying, it needs to be very, very extended. Walking into the Verizon store the other day was a thing of nightmares - the 928 and HTC One looked like absolute crap. I can't imagine anyone would buy one with such heavy burn-in.

If you're truly concerned, as others are saying, give the screen some rest. I've done 6 hour drives with GPS with no car charger that way. When the phone tells me I'm going 40+ miles without any turns I'd just turn off the GPS to preserve battery. You can do the same to preserve screen quality if need be.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
OLED screens don't burn. Term is a hold over from the CRT days, what they do do is have cells that lose their intensity over time. The cells have a finite life, and eventually they start to dull, kinda looks like burn, but the term is a misnomer. You can really see it on AMOLED Android devices with on screen keyboards (like the Galaxy Nexus).

Personally, I turn the display off while using the GPS and just check it from time to time.. I've watched enough rally racing in my day to be good with just verbal cues. :) Oh, to answer your question, yes Here+ Drive will continue to prompt you while the screen is off.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
OLED screens don't burn. Term is a hold over from the CRT days, what they do do is have cells that lose their intensity over time. The cells have a finite life, and eventually they start to dull, kinda looks like burn, but the term is a misnomer. You can really see it on AMOLED Android devices with on screen keyboards (like the Galaxy Nexus).

Personally, I turn the display off while using the GPS and just check it from time to time.. I've watched enough rally racing in my day to be good with just verbal cues. :) Oh, to answer your question, yes Here+ Drive will continue to prompt you while the screen is off.

Heheh... you said "do do".

And thanks for the info.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
WP_20140222_17_18_34_Pro.jpg

Here's a totally wasted HTC One display model. I have an image of the 928 next to it, but it's hard to discern the damage to the screen in the shot, whereas it looked like mud in person. Legible ghost icons.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I don't really need GPS to be on at all times. It's more of a security blanket than an actual source of direction. Better safe than sorry for me. Does HERE Drive+ audio-prompt direction if the screen is off? I haven't used it enough to know, but if it does, perhaps I can just do that for long stretches of road.

Will do.

The app does work with the screen off, as do the others I have tried. There is no need at all to have the screen active, In fact, whenever I use one of the apps for directions, I hit the power button to turn of the screen as soon as it starts giving audio prompts. Of course, none of this addresses the fact that Here Drive, in my experience, is probably only better than Apple maps. I wouldn't rely upon it for anything more than general directions. In the greater Phoenix area, its directions are sometimes good but often downright embarrassing.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I recently saw a 1020 at the at&t store that had screen 'burn'. I asked the rep about it, and she said that the demo froze for a week and that's what damaged it.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering about the nightstand clock apps. I am new to WP as the icon is my first device.
My previous android had a system clock app for nighttime use and it was actually quite nice. It used my wallpaper as a background and the clock numerals would drift like a PC screensaver. It would auto dim after a few minutes but was still quite readable. That was an AMOLED screen, and I never had any problems.

WP doesn't seem to have a system clock app, so I tried a few clock apps but they all seem to simulate the same 80s style LED clock designs. The current app I am using is 1:clock.

what is the best WP clock app and how can I avoid damaging the screen on my Icon

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering about the nightstand clock apps. I am new to WP as the icon is my first device.
My previous android had a system clock app for nighttime use and it was actually quite nice. It used my wallpaper as a background and the clock numerals would drift like a PC screensaver. It would auto dim after a few minutes but was still quite readable. That was an AMOLED screen, and I never had any problems.

WP doesn't seem to have a system clock app, so I tried a few clock apps but they all seem to simulate the same 80s style LED clock designs. The current app I am using is 1:clock.

what is the best WP clock app and how can I avoid damaging the screen on my Icon

Ironically, the best nighttime app IMO is Glance, but the Icon isn't supported. The good ones (like Glance) move the clock every few minutes to prevent issues with the screen.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Ironically, the best nighttime app IMO is Glance, but the Icon isn't supported. The good ones (like Glance) move the clock every few minutes to prevent issues with the screen.

So, absent glance, is there another good click app or will I be stuck with something that will wear out my Icons screen?

Zuke24

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Driving back from San Antonio today, had Waze open for a good chunk of time to help navigate. Oops, my Lumia 810 now has Waze's menu icons permanently stuck at the bottom of the screen. :crying:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss