03-26-2014 09:41 AM
112 12345
tools
    I'm gonna admit, it was a much better experience using a dedicated app for banking and credit cards when I had an iPhone and (for a short time) Android.
    Sure, I can understand this. I'm just a little taken aback that if these apps were this important that one would ensure they exist on the platform to which they're moving.
    02-26-2014 10:44 AM
    The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.
    I don't think anyone's said it's perfect. As for Amex, I have them send me text messages to my device when I have questionable charges, then I would use the Amex mobile site to check on it. Not that I have ever done it as I've never had a suspicious charge on my card.
    02-26-2014 12:40 PM
    You guys seem to be deviating from the actual reason I made the thread. The apps comment was just to give context. The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I think I currently own more Windows Phone devices than quite a few people on here - Lumia 620, 920, 925 and 1020. Break out from phones and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2 and sold my Surface Pro 2 on here a couple weeks ago. Yes, I also own a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Apple TV. I'd love to think I can have an objective view in this situation.
    Wow....what do you do with (4) windows phones, (2/3) windows tablets, (2) Mac laptops, (2) ipads, and an iphone - are you a developer? Otherwise, im trying to figure out why you have so many devices.
    AngrySprintUser and Y2HBK like this.
    02-26-2014 01:46 PM
    I picked my Icon up at the Galleria location too. I probably saw you there. I'll put it under craigslist's missed connections. Jk. My service at the store was great, better than going to a Verizon store. They didn't know how to use the new software because they updated it the day I went. They gave me.some compensation for waiting a while. Sucks that you didn't experience the Icon revolution. Lol. The employees that helped me all had windows phones, except one dude, he had an S4. But he was on t mobile. You should do the survey and get 5% off the icon when you buy it again. Lol
    Last edited by chrisdaboss; 02-26-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    02-26-2014 02:27 PM
    So, you experienced something that goes counter to what many of us have experienced (I received 928s from 3 different Microsoft stores), and in general you had a lousy experience from someone working in retail of all places, and you're angry that this has gone two pages without, what, someone offering you a solution? Expounding on similar experiences (which it seems none of us have.) Waxing poetically?

What kind of comments do you want us to make on your experience? You're the consultant, if you were sent to a client and he detailed two perceived problems to you, one of which was based on an isolated incident and one that many other people have had and some have managed to successfully resolve, which would you turn your immediate attention to?
    He's just a troll
    02-26-2014 02:45 PM
    You guys seem to be deviating from the actual reason I made the thread. The apps comment was just to give context. The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I think I currently own more Windows Phone devices than quite a few people on here - Lumia 620, 920, 925 and 1020. Break out from phones and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2 and sold my Surface Pro 2 on here a couple weeks ago. Yes, I also own a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Apple TV. I'd love to think I can have an objective view in this situation.
    I know you already said this is not the point of the thread... But you say you own all of those devices... And you had never checked if the apps you wanted were available before buying yet another phone? Or were you expecting that all of the sudden the applications were available just for the Icon?
    02-26-2014 02:56 PM
    Wow, sad. I understand employees might have their own biases, but damn, but don't bring it to work when you work at a Microsoft Store.

The employees at my local MS Store are great, I'm kind of friends with some of them (wow, I have a sad life, don't I? :P). And based on one visit to the Microsoft Store in Honolulu, Hawaii, they've got some really passionate employees over there also.

So wow, sad... Hopefully MS will start training their employees better, because if they don't embody passion for the platform they're trying to sell: who's going to buy it?
    02-26-2014 03:08 PM
    Yah I'm in Redmond (microsoftville) and use the Bellevue ms store. When I got my surface 2 on launch weekend everyone seemed genuinely excited for me.
    02-26-2014 03:18 PM
    Outside of Xbox, Microsoft is new to the consumer game, they haven't found enough of those diehard Microsoft fans in the retail industry to help them push their retail front.
    02-26-2014 03:27 PM
    I had an interesting encounter with Verizon that does emphasize your point. When I was talking to the rep waiting for them to resolve my issue (story for another thread, but Verizon is close to losing my business), he mentioned how he learned about the phone launch the day BEFORE the phone came out. Basically knew nothing about it. Apparently the local Nokia rep was supposed to come in and showcase the phone, but they never got around to scheduling it.

During my many calls to Verizon to resolve my issue, multiple reps called it the "Nokia Lumina", only one knew what it was (and sounded genuinely excited to get her hands on one.)

Employee education and etiquette is still a massive problem when it comes to Windows Phone.
    I can agree with this as when I went in to possibly get into the Icon as at the time had a 928. The sales rep had to look up the specs on the Icon to see what was different about it from the 928. Most differences I was fully aware of. The rep seemed to try to pull me away from WP all together even after I told her I loved the OS. First she tried bringing up Android and I told her I wasn't going down that road again, to which she tried and tried to inform me that so much has changed in the past couple of years with flagship Android phones. I did not agree with this and chose not to argue with her, I came to WP from being on Android for over 6 years. She then went on to trash Apple a little with their current security issues. I can agree that the companies should be doing a better job of training the employees but at the same time the employees should be taking the time to try and educate themselves on a product that they get a paycheck by selling.BTW I did end up trading up for the Icon and do not regret it one bit.
    02-26-2014 03:34 PM
    Wow....what do you do with (4) windows phones, (2/3) windows tablets, (2) Mac laptops, (2) ipads, and an iphone - are you a developer? Otherwise, im trying to figure out why you have so many devices.
    Because he can. I'd love to be a tech reviewer simply so I could have tons and tons of gadgets to play with. Sure, only a couple would become my daily drivers, but I'd still love having gazmos and gadgets galore to play with on a daily basis. :)
    02-26-2014 03:37 PM
    The experience when I purchased my Icon from the MS store on Friday was absolutely enjoyable. All of the employees were very nice and the process of upgrading took maybe a grand total of 10 mins. They were even nice when I went back a few days later to buy a case. This is completely the opposite of buying a phone at the Verizon store. After all these years having Verizon I still cannot figure out why there is such a disconnect between the retail and call center customer service. One thing I noticed that's different is if you call customer service you get a follow up survey call. When you go to the Verizon store, nada, zilch.
    02-26-2014 04:41 PM
    really? what about reading text messages or emails?
    My Bluetooth Radio isn't OEM but my Icon reads text messages and you get to reply to them as well. It's so awesome. 10 points for Icon. I think you just say listen and it reads your text message, now if your having some texting fun with somebody ;) it could be a little akward. To reply it asks you if you want to reply and just say what you want. Bam, message sent. It also says the same of who's calling you. I'm not sure about email.
    02-26-2014 04:42 PM
    My Bluetooth Radio isn't OEM but my Icon reads text messages and you get to reply to them as well. It's so awesome. 10 points for Icon. I think you just say listen and it reads your text message, now if your having some texting fun with somebody ;) it could be a little akward. To reply it asks you if you want to reply and just say what you want. Bam, message sent. It also says the same of who's calling you. I'm not sure about email.
    I love this feature. Completely hands free. I think you can also hold down the windows key and say call or text soandso.
    02-26-2014 04:55 PM
    I love this feature. Completely hands free. I think you can also hold down the windows key and say call or text soandso.
    Yes, that as well. There's a button on my radio to start hands-free dialing. And it's quick, my droid took a while to start voice controls. The Icon is almost too smart...
    02-26-2014 04:57 PM
    Not a developer but I work in IT consulting. I guess just into technology.
    02-26-2014 04:58 PM
    Agreed 100% Joel. It's embarrassing sometimes (like this` morning) where I walk into my ATT dealer to get replacement sim card and these sales reps seem to only know how to operate Apple products. They carry around iPads around like it's a part of their body and only direct customers to 'the Apple section' of the store. Anyways I come in and this guy helps me to replace the sim card. Snatches the phone from me and takes 5 minutes trying to touch/slide/tap/draw/type on my Glance screen trying to unlock the phone. He finally gets frustrated with it and rashly starts button smashing and then voila! there's a lock button on the side. What on earth were they thinking putting it on the side.... who's thumb even goes on the side of their phone??? Another 5 minutes to take out the sim and 30 seconds to reset it. In all this time couple customers come in and where are they directed? the apple section.... where are the windows phones? in the back hiding one one shelf.... all 5 of them half of them not even turned on.... makes me upset
    02-26-2014 05:10 PM
    A salesman in the Apple store told me that Microsoft Word is better than pages. I didn't blink an eye. Some people just take sales jobs because they like sales jobs.
    02-26-2014 05:28 PM
    Yah I'm in Redmond (microsoftville) and use the Bellevue ms store. When I got my surface 2 on launch weekend everyone seemed genuinely excited for me.
    I remember when the RT first launched, and the employees were really excited for it.
    02-26-2014 08:11 PM
    Because he can. I'd love to be a tech reviewer simply so I could have tons and tons of gadgets to play with. Sure, only a couple would become my daily drivers, but I'd still love having gazmos and gadgets galore to play with on a daily basis. :)
    Would you also want thing-a-ma-bobs and whats-its a plenty? I would...but who cares...no big deal...I want more.

Don't judge! I was like 10 when Little Mermaid came out!
    02-26-2014 08:14 PM
    I just had a similar not so great experience recently at the T-Mobile store. I went in with the wife to get her phone upgraded. She was getting an android phone because that's what she likes. That's a different story.

Either way while waiting, I casually asked each of the reps about windows phones and whether T-Mobile will be getting any new ones after 925. There was about 5 of them. All of them were very negative about the WP platform in general, (I guess mob mentality, one guy/gal might not like it and so everyone hates it) even though I showed them my 920 and said I wanted to upgrade when they'd have a new one.

When it came to copying over the data from my wife's titan2 to the new phone one of reps was all windows phones are horrible, they don't like to play well with the others. I told him wp7 didn't have mtp support and hence copying things over required Zune and even then it was a little limited. He went on to say even wp8 is horrible too and how he'd never recommend it to anyone. Either way I didn't wanna argue with them or anything, I just told him things are better than what he had known of WP.

Wife knows how passionate I am about WP. So she was consoling me on the way home. :(

Either way I was left with a bad taste. I had a similar (even worse) experience at the att store last year when we went to get visual voicemail on her titan 2. I am ******* tired of feeling like I have to be an apologist for WP. Everyone's all, "why are you using that stupid phone? And, "it can't do anything" and so on. I am perfectly happy with my 920. It does everything I want it to do and more. Do I want more out of it? Yes, of course, and I am looking forward to the 8.1 update.

Sorry about the long rant. I just felt this would be a good place to vent since some if you might know where I'm coming from.
    02-26-2014 09:27 PM
    I have had the same experience in ATT online and local stores. Most do not promote MS and most would rather sell you something they know something about...iPhone or Samsung. I am starting to think it is MS who is the culprit in they must not provide proper training for ATT employees. I do believe since they are ATT employees it should be the responsibility of ATT but if MS really was to make a headway in the cell phone business I would think they would provide the training or at least the funds for the training. I have never, ever walked into an ATT store or talked to an ATT rep on the phone who knew more than me about a Windows Phone.
    If MS wants to make headway in the smartphone business they would provide a spiff to Verizon/ATT reps for WP sales to help them feel better about spending time to learn the product and how to explain how the MS ecosystem works. It begins and ends with the sales reps and if they are more comfortable with iPhone or Samsung that's what they will sell. You have to give them a reason to risk selling a different, unfamiliar product.

Training is fine, as far as it goes. But it's a single step. Unless you own the product, you really can't understand it well enough to make the customers comfortable. Hell, I wanted a WP for months, and read everything I could find here and elsewhere and when I finally got my Icon I still had some uncomfortable moments.

Now imagine random customers off the street that have no particular knowledge themselves, but just want whatever the next hot new phone is. If you sell them an iPhone or a Galaxy and they don't understand something, they are surrounded with sons, daughters, co-workers, paperboys, etc. who can show them how to do what they want. I only knew one other person who had WP before I got mine and it was a marketing rep at the local credit union and she thought her phone was okay but wished she got the Galaxy 4.

I really think that unless MS buys some market share the only folks that will have WP are those who couldn't be talked out of it.

All that said, rest assured that I really still want my WP, and want WP to succeed.

I'm just sayin'.
    Last edited by savagelizards; 02-26-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Wanted to make my support for WP more clear
    StevoPhilo and James8561 like this.
    02-26-2014 10:09 PM
    Just now I went to a Verizon (unoffical) store to help my dad pick up an ICON.

Dad: Excuse me, do you have the new Lumia Icon?
    Employee: Nope.
    Dad: Oh, well thank you very much for your time.

We turn around and start walking towards the entrance

Employee: Why do you want the Lumia? Samsungs are MUCH better phones.
    (He said this with our backs turned to him walking towards the entrance. Neither one of us are turned towards him)
    Me: Ok, thank you for your time.

Weird. Its like even when they can't convince you they still want to kick you in the nuts on on your way out.

The second store we went to a mile away was better but the Lumia phones were in the Motorola section for some reason.
    02-26-2014 10:26 PM
    Just now I went to a Verizon (unoffical) store to help my dad pick up an ICON.

Dad: Excuse me, do you have the new Lumia Icon?
    Employee: Nope.
    Dad: Oh, well thank you very much for your time.

We turn around and start walking towards the entrance

Employee: Why do you want the Lumia? Samsungs are MUCH better phones.
    (He said this with our backs turned to him walking towards the entrance. Neither one of us are turned towards him)
    Me: Ok, thank you for your time.

Weird. Its like even when they can't convince you they still want to kick you in the nuts on on your way out.

The second store we went to a mile away was better but the Lumia phones were in the Motorola section for some reason.

seriously, that's just insane. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. :(
    02-26-2014 10:30 PM
    I share your outrage at a salesman who says things that he apparently personally believes. Whatever happened to good old fashioned soulless corporate dissembling?
    02-27-2014 12:00 AM
112 12345