My very awkward visit to the Microsoft store today

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I went in to the Microsoft store to return my Lumia Icon today, and ended up having a very awkward experience.

I was directed to an associate to handle the return. He glanced at the receipt and said "how come this is under my name? I don't remember selling this to you 2 days ago". I said "nope, you didn't sell it to me," and luckily enough, the guy that sold it to me was there so I pointed him out. They kind of went back and forth about why the other guy used someone else's code to ring me up; I just watched. After about 5 minutes of arguing among themselves, the associate that sold it to me came to proceed with the return.

He asked me why I was returning the phone and I said I've decided to keep my iPhone because of the lack of some apps I need. He just went off non-stop about how much iPhone apps are much better and that most of the returns on the Windows Phones are because of the lack of apps and how he doesn't blame the users. He went on to say that he uses an iPhone outside personally; he went on for a few minutes basically telling me that I've made a better decision to stick to my iPhone, and that I should keep an eye out for Windows Phone because the app situation will get better since Microsoft is secretly paying lots of companies to develop apps for the Windows Phone platform.

I was really dumbfounded, and didn't say a word to him until the return process was complete. When next you wonder why Windows Phone is not growing in the US, it's because MS can't even hire people that actually love their platform. Yup! Very awkward.

Last edited:

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
What apps did the WP8 ecosystem lack?
For me - Discover, Amex, Nest, workable CVS, HiltonHonors, Best Western, BillGuard and Google Voice, to mention but a few. I work in Consulting and the Amex, BillGuard and hotel apps are MAJOR for me. I use them week in, week out.

You seem to be more concerned about the minor mention of app selection while ignoring the bigger problem in my initial post.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For me - Discover, Amex, Nest, workable CVS, HiltonHonors, Best Western, BillGuard and Google Voice, to mention but a few. I work in IT Consulting and the Amex, BillGuard and hotel apps are MAJOR for me. I use them week in, week out.

You seem to be more concerned about the minor mention of app selection while ignoring the bigger problem in my initial post.

You're right. My apologies. Please give me the employee's name and address, I'll head on over and speak with him right now.

In all seriousness, my experience at the Microsoft store has been a dream. Every employee I've worked with has been very pro-windows, and they've always been able to explain why. When I purchased my Icon, I had three other Microsoft employees pull Icon's out of their pockets as their daily drivers. We were even able to discuss wp8.1 leaked features. They told me stuff they would only know if they were reading the same blogs and WP fan sites that I do, mainly WPCentral.

I care very little about your one isolated incident because it's just that, isolated. I'd much rather find out what you found to be lacking in wp8. You have had a 1020 before, so you pretty much knew exactly what app ecosystem you were buying when you bought the Icon, right? Seems rather silly to me...

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Yikes. That wasn't a good experience, all the way around. It sucks that it happened. I am hoping that the app store issue does work itself out, but the bigger problem at the retail store sucks. I hope that also gets worked out so that no one else has a bad experience there.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had good experiences with the MS store. I live in the Seattle area and Windows Phones are everywhere here due to Microsoft being headquartered here. If a MS associate did that here, they get an earful

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Indeed. This is a rare occurrence to my knowledge.

I know many MS Store folks, including some of the first hired for the Mission Viejo store that now live here in Washington.

They tend to be very passionate about MS.

So I wouldn't consider this a normal occurrence. He is lucky it wasn't me there. I would have asked for his boss to discuss his use of another employees ID (that can be an instant fire situation).

Normally I can let something things slide, but two huge things like that in a row display a pattern that is disturbing.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You're right. My apologies. Please give me the employee's name and address, I'll head on over and speak with him right now.

In all seriousness, my experience at the Microsoft store has been a dream. Every employee I've worked with has been very pro-windows, and they've always been able to explain why. When I purchased my Icon, I had three other Microsoft employees pull Icon's out of their pockets as their daily drivers. We were even able to discuss wp8.1 leaked features. They told me stuff they would only know if they were reading the same blogs and WP fan sites that I do, mainly WPCentral.

I care very little about your one isolated incident because it's just that, isolated. I'd much rather find out what you found to be lacking in wp8. You have had a 1020 before, so you pretty much knew exactly what app ecosystem you were buying when you bought the Icon, right? Seems rather silly to me...

Awesome way of thinking, I say. I'm sure it's just this one isolated incident, seeing this store rep won't deal with other customers who may be in the exact same situation I was ever again.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Awesome way of thinking, I say. I'm sure it's just this one isolated incident, seeing this store rep won't deal with other customers who may be in the exact same situation I was ever again.

Fair enough. By that same logic, you see how it's silly to conclude from your one interaction that the reason WP8 doesn't have more of the market is "because MS can't even hire people that actually love their platform." How can you say that that is the norm, if it's just that one employee dealing with the customers that he deals with?

If you were concerned about it, why not mention it to the a manager? As rdubmu mentioned, i'm sure he would have been spoken to and corrected. I am continually impressed by the Microsoft retail store locations, and believe that they are doing a fantastic job. Let's hope to get more traffic in there.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. By that same logic, you see how it's silly to conclude from your one interaction that the reason WP8 doesn't have more of the market is "because MS can't even hire people that actually love their platform." How can you say that that is the norm, if it's just that one employee dealing with the customers that he deals with?

If you were concerned about it, why not mention it to the a manager? As rdubmu mentioned, i'm sure he would have been spoken to and corrected. I am continually impressed by the Microsoft retail store locations, and believe that they are doing a fantastic job. Let's hope to get more traffic in there.

Fair enough, but the last thing I want to do is get someone fired from his job, I guess.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I work at a Chevrolet dealer and a lot of employees don't drive GM vehicles
I think that's a very different situation. I've known many car salespersons here who have moved from one dealership to another many times over the years. They tend to stay in car sales, but they do not tend to stay with the same dealership.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The fact that the guy used another employee's ID shows that he isn't the most professional of employees to begin with. He probably didn't care about the return because it wasn't under his ID.

qwank

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I doubt those employees tell potential or returning customers about how Chevys suck and how, perhaps, a Toyota is much better and reliable. No?

There's about 4 younger techs I work with and they love and drive Hondas and that's all they talk about all day. I always tell them to go work in a Honda shop then. I could never work on a brand I didn't like. Would be the same thing with phones for me.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you about all the missing Win8 apps, however I carry an iPad with me when I work and travel and use that for the missing apps, the user experience is better on the larger screen anyway. For me it was really about getting board with my iPhone, however I may return to iPhone if they release a meaningful update for the next iPhone (hardware and software). The iPhone 5s update was a disappointment, just like the new Galaxy from Samsung. It seems like manufacturers are running out of new ideas.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I had an interesting encounter with Verizon that does emphasize your point. When I was talking to the rep waiting for them to resolve my issue (story for another thread, but Verizon is close to losing my business), he mentioned how he learned about the phone launch the day BEFORE the phone came out. Basically knew nothing about it. Apparently the local Nokia rep was supposed to come in and showcase the phone, but they never got around to scheduling it.

During my many calls to Verizon to resolve my issue, multiple reps called it the "Nokia Lumina", only one knew what it was (and sounded genuinely excited to get her hands on one.)

Employee education and etiquette is still a massive problem when it comes to Windows Phone.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

Based upon a quick look at your topic history, you have faced a lot of bad experiences at stores (Microsoft and Verizon) with each bashing the Windows 8 platform. You have also experienced issues with most windows phones (920, 1020, icon) and also the Surface. Good luck with whichever alternative mobile platform better meets your needs.

I would guess Android, if Google voice is important to you as you describe, at least until Google decides they will no longer provide the service.

Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
For me - Discover, Amex, Nest, workable CVS, HiltonHonors, Best Western, BillGuard and Google Voice, to mention but a few. I work in Consulting and the Amex, BillGuard and hotel apps are MAJOR for me. I use them week in, week out.

Why did you buy the phone to begin with? It's easy to ascertain which apps are not available for the phone before you make the purchase. As to one lousy employee, it in no way reflects on the quality of MS employees or the MS store. Every company has some lousy employees. It would have been far more useful for you to report your experience to the store manager than to come here and insinuate that this represents MS stores and MS employees as a whole.

chrisdaboss

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
For my credit cards like Discover I use the Mint App. It's very cool and you can also link your bank or credit union (my credit union didn't have a WP8 app) so Mint came in handy. I access Discover via the UC browser and the mobile site has all the functions as the app just not as pretty. But Mint kicks ****. And it tells you when you spend too much, which I don't use. I'm coming from a Droid Razr running Jelly Bean. I used to use the eBay app, it sucks on WP. All I can do is wait for an update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium