My very awkward visit to the Microsoft store today

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I would be grateful to this employee for being honest. In most shops, employees just parrot the company line, for the obvious reason that that is what they are paid to do. It's important to remember that - you will not get impartial advice in a Microsoft shop. Or an Apple shop. Etc.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
For me - Discover, Amex, Nest, workable CVS, HiltonHonors, Best Western, BillGuard and Google Voice, to mention but a few. I work in Consulting and the Amex, BillGuard and hotel apps are MAJOR for me. I use them week in, week out.

You seem to be more concerned about the minor mention of app selection while ignoring the bigger problem in my initial post.

Not arguing your point at all because I think everyone should use what they want but most of those "apps" are just web redirects. You could more than likely just go to their web page on a windows phone (or any phone) and do the same stuff.

Also I'm sure you knew the app situation before you ever bought the phone. Why waste everyone's time involved - including your own? I don't get people like that...

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I would miss all the Nokia apps if i switched to an Iphone, and all the great developers that actully makes the apps better then the original, so dont think that it is just Windows Phone that missing apps, your lovely Iphone dosen't have Nokia MixRadio and much more...

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
For me - Discover, Amex, Nest, workable CVS, HiltonHonors, Best Western, BillGuard and Google Voice, to mention but a few. I work in Consulting and the Amex, BillGuard and hotel apps are MAJOR for me. I use them week in, week out.

You seem to be more concerned about the minor mention of app selection while ignoring the bigger problem in my initial post.
You're correct, any good employee is trained to lie about whatever piece of garbage they are selling. And i'm not referring to the icon. What i'm saying is all of us have worked somewhere where we weren't all that excited about the product we were selling\representing but you still have to put your BS face on and get it done. It isn't a microsoft problem, it's an everywhere problem.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, any good employee is trained to lie about whatever piece of garbage they are selling. And i'm not referring to the icon. What i'm saying is all of us have worked somewhere where we weren't all that excited about the product we were selling\representing but you still have to put your BS face on and get it done. It isn't a microsoft problem, it's an everywhere problem.

Yes, sometimes you need to serve what my dad calls a "word salad."

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not arguing your point at all because I think everyone should use what they want but most of those "apps" are just web redirects. You could more than likely just go to their web page on a windows phone (or any phone) and do the same stuff.

Also I'm sure you knew the app situation before you ever bought the phone. Why waste everyone's time involved - including your own? I don't get people like that...
I was thinking the same. Most, if all of those sites have mobile version. I just checked Discover since I am a member and they have a mobile version (https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/mobile/?ICMPGN=LAFTR_MOBILE). You could just "Pin to Start" and you're on your way.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Galleria.

So you won't mention your experience with said employee to his manager...

But you will go on the internet and do the following: Bash the store and employee as the reason the an entire companies lack of success. Name the exact store location. And then provide a distinctive feature of said employee. Seriously?

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Word salad is usually a reference to Aphasia...

So I'm not sure how it would fit into this context.

We'd use it in the context of saying something with impressive sounding words to make it sound like something intelligent when the opposite was true. But aphasia could apply as well...

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Most, if all of those sites have mobile version. I just checked Discover since I am a member and they have a mobile version (https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/mobile/?ICMPGN=LAFTR_MOBILE). You could just "Pin to Start" and you're on your way.
You guys seem to be deviating from the actual reason I made the thread. The apps comment was just to give context. The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I think I currently own more Windows Phone devices than quite a few people on here - Lumia 620, 920, 925 and 1020. Break out from phones and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2 and sold my Surface Pro 2 on here a couple weeks ago. Yes, I also own a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Apple TV. I'd love to think I can have an objective view in this situation.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna admit, it was a much better experience using a dedicated app for banking and credit cards when I had an iPhone and (for a short time) Android.

For the most part I agree. I do miss my TD app now that I jumped back to Windows Phone but I like the OS much better - guess it's a trade off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786