My very awkward visit to the Microsoft store today

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
You guys seem to be deviating from the actual reason I made the thread. The apps comment was just to give context. The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I think I currently own more Windows Phone devices than quite a few people on here - Lumia 620, 920, 925 and 1020. Break out from phones and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2 and sold my Surface Pro 2 on here a couple weeks ago. Yes, I also own a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Apple TV. I'd love to think I can have an objective view in this situation.

You just hit a sore spot for a lot of Windows Phone users is all.

It's an insult tag line used by iOS and Android users ad nauseum.

anon(4054009)

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
How is the Bluetooth working with a Chevy? Does it work as well as regular headphones? I'm thinking the Lumia 1520 , but any other Lumia would be the same I guess
Bluetooth works very well with my 2011 Camaro and 2014 Volt. Weird thing, the builtin Pandora and stitcher apps on the 2014 only works over bluetooth with Android, WP not at all, IOS only when plugged in to USB.

The_Guest_Who

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned earlier, it's not a problem solely with the Microsoft store, it's a problem that's pervasive in retail in general. I've had some wonderful visits to my local Microsoft store, and some not so wonderful - I guess it just depends on who's on the floor and when.

Similar to the OP, I had an awful time (twice!) at a T-Mobile retail store recently... adding a SIM-only line to my account, I struck up a conversation with the rep and mentioned that I've recently switched to Windows Phone, to which the sales rep replied "Yeah, the 925 is pretty nice, but the 521... terrible, it's just garbage...". Of course, I received a text when the new line was added in the system and I whipped out my 521... the smile from the rep just faded away, and the rest of the transaction went very quietly.

Going back to the same store later to upgrade a family member's phone, a different sales rep had another take on WP... an "Android die-hard, through and through", she talked about how the new iPhone was so great, and how it might make her switch. Asked about Windows Phone, she said that it wasn't for most people, since there's not many apps, and she doesn't recommend it. But that shiny new iPhone... it has such a great camera, and it's so easy to use!!! Of course, my 925 wipes the floor with the iPhone's camera, but you wouldn't be able to tell that in the store - the display 925 had a burned-in display (presumably from being locked on a single demo screen with no attention paid to it) and was locked into the security "death clamp" that blocks the lens. The iPhones are front and center in the displays, with the smaller security tethers and are easy to test out; the only 2 T-Mo Windows Phones are against the back wall, with only a single "This is Lumia" poster behind them, like an afterthought.

I don't frequent Verizon and AT&T stores very often, but I imagine it's more of the same - sales reps are paid to push the product that's more profitable, rarely the product that would work better for the customer. I was in retail sales in a former life - you had the FAB's (features and benefits) that you match to your customer, and always "Show, tell, offer to sell". I believe those methods are extinct now - I've had sales reps actively attempt to talk me out of purchasing something that I've already done my research on. This is why I buy online now.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had the same experience in ATT online and local stores. Most do not promote MS and most would rather sell you something they know something about...iPhone or Samsung. I am starting to think it is MS who is the culprit in they must not provide proper training for ATT employees. I do believe since they are ATT employees it should be the responsibility of ATT but if MS really was to make a headway in the cell phone business I would think they would provide the training or at least the funds for the training. I have never, ever walked into an ATT store or talked to an ATT rep on the phone who knew more than me about a Windows Phone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Store reps are useless, good for just taking your order. Expecting intelligent responses from them is like expecting to find life on the surface of the sun. Can't fathom why some haven't figured that out yet in 2014.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Store reps are useless, good for just taking your order. Expecting intelligent responses from them is like expecting to find life on the surface of the sun. Can't fathom why some haven't figured that out yet in 2014.

That's not the case in MS stores generally. They actually require you to have some knowledge to work there.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So, you experienced something that goes counter to what many of us have experienced (I received 928s from 3 different Microsoft stores), and in general you had a lousy experience from someone working in retail of all places, and you're angry that this has gone two pages without, what, someone offering you a solution? Expounding on similar experiences (which it seems none of us have.) Waxing poetically?

What kind of comments do you want us to make on your experience? You're the consultant, if you were sent to a client and he detailed two perceived problems to you, one of which was based on an isolated incident and one that many other people have had and some have managed to successfully resolve, which would you turn your immediate attention to?

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth works very well with my 2011 Camaro and 2014 Volt. Weird thing, the builtin Pandora and stitcher apps on the 2014 only works over bluetooth with Android, WP not at all, IOS only when plugged in to USB.
really? what about reading text messages or emails?

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
So you won't mention your experience with said employee to his manager...

But you will go on the internet and do the following: Bash the store and employee as the reason the an entire companies lack of success. Name the exact store location. And then provide a distinctive feature of said employee. Seriously?

Some people don't like confrontations mostly introverts, behind a computer they are invincible. I guess. I just want to go to this store to see if I get the same experience.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna admit, it was a much better experience using a dedicated app for banking and credit cards when I had an iPhone and (for a short time) Android.
Sure, I can understand this. I'm just a little taken aback that if these apps were this important that one would ensure they exist on the platform to which they're moving.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I don't think anyone's said it's perfect. As for Amex, I have them send me text messages to my device when I have questionable charges, then I would use the Amex mobile site to check on it. Not that I have ever done it as I've never had a suspicious charge on my card.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You guys seem to be deviating from the actual reason I made the thread. The apps comment was just to give context. The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I think I currently own more Windows Phone devices than quite a few people on here - Lumia 620, 920, 925 and 1020. Break out from phones and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2 and sold my Surface Pro 2 on here a couple weeks ago. Yes, I also own a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Apple TV. I'd love to think I can have an objective view in this situation.

Wow....what do you do with (4) windows phones, (2/3) windows tablets, (2) Mac laptops, (2) ipads, and an iphone - are you a developer? Otherwise, im trying to figure out why you have so many devices.

chrisdaboss

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I picked my Icon up at the Galleria location too. I probably saw you there. I'll put it under craigslist's missed connections. Jk. My service at the store was great, better than going to a Verizon store. They didn't know how to use the new software because they updated it the day I went. They gave me.some compensation for waiting a while. Sucks that you didn't experience the Icon revolution. Lol. The employees that helped me all had windows phones, except one dude, he had an S4. But he was on t mobile. You should do the survey and get 5% off the icon when you buy it again. Lol

Last edited:

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
So, you experienced something that goes counter to what many of us have experienced (I received 928s from 3 different Microsoft stores), and in general you had a lousy experience from someone working in retail of all places, and you're angry that this has gone two pages without, what, someone offering you a solution? Expounding on similar experiences (which it seems none of us have.) Waxing poetically?

What kind of comments do you want us to make on your experience? You're the consultant, if you were sent to a client and he detailed two perceived problems to you, one of which was based on an isolated incident and one that many other people have had and some have managed to successfully resolve, which would you turn your immediate attention to?

He's just a troll

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I know you already said this is not the point of the thread... But you say you own all of those devices... And you had never checked if the apps you wanted were available before buying yet another phone? Or were you expecting that all of the sudden the applications were available just for the Icon?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow, sad. I understand employees might have their own biases, but damn, but don't bring it to work when you work at a Microsoft Store.

The employees at my local MS Store are great, I'm kind of friends with some of them (wow, I have a sad life, don't I? :p). And based on one visit to the Microsoft Store in Honolulu, Hawaii, they've got some really passionate employees over there also.

So wow, sad... Hopefully MS will start training their employees better, because if they don't embody passion for the platform they're trying to sell: who's going to buy it?

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Yah I'm in Redmond (microsoftville) and use the Bellevue ms store. When I got my surface 2 on launch weekend everyone seemed genuinely excited for me.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Outside of Xbox, Microsoft is new to the consumer game, they haven't found enough of those diehard Microsoft fans in the retail industry to help them push their retail front.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I had an interesting encounter with Verizon that does emphasize your point. When I was talking to the rep waiting for them to resolve my issue (story for another thread, but Verizon is close to losing my business), he mentioned how he learned about the phone launch the day BEFORE the phone came out. Basically knew nothing about it. Apparently the local Nokia rep was supposed to come in and showcase the phone, but they never got around to scheduling it.

During my many calls to Verizon to resolve my issue, multiple reps called it the "Nokia Lumina", only one knew what it was (and sounded genuinely excited to get her hands on one.)

Employee education and etiquette is still a massive problem when it comes to Windows Phone.

I can agree with this as when I went in to possibly get into the Icon as at the time had a 928. The sales rep had to look up the specs on the Icon to see what was different about it from the 928. Most differences I was fully aware of. The rep seemed to try to pull me away from WP all together even after I told her I loved the OS. First she tried bringing up Android and I told her I wasn't going down that road again, to which she tried and tried to inform me that so much has changed in the past couple of years with flagship Android phones. I did not agree with this and chose not to argue with her, I came to WP from being on Android for over 6 years. She then went on to trash Apple a little with their current security issues. I can agree that the companies should be doing a better job of training the employees but at the same time the employees should be taking the time to try and educate themselves on a product that they get a paycheck by selling.BTW I did end up trading up for the Icon and do not regret it one bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo