My very awkward visit to the Microsoft store today

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that more companies should focus on mobile web. Done correctly they'll work across platforms, device types and sizes- and offer a more unified experience. How many apps do you need to get push notifications from? And can't they use SMS or email to send alerts?
And go to the mobile site when any sort of interaction is needed? Genius idea. I'm sure that's why companies are doing away with traditional apps and moving over to those mobile site wrappers.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree that more companies should focus on mobile web. Done correctly they'll work across platforms, device types and sizes- and offer a more unified experience. How many apps do you need to get push notifications from? And can't they use SMS or email to send alerts?

I would say that's a workaround, not a (good) solution.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if you're being serious or not. Take into consideration jsut the area of push notifications. How will this work on mobile web? Inquiring minds want to know.

Saved credentials in the app can keep you logged in and background tasks can still run to check for any defined changes that would trigger a notification... or is that not possible in the current dev environment?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I would guess Android, if Google voice is important to you as you describe, at least until Google decides they will no longer provide the service.

Sure, like the largest phone OS is going to just vanish. A vanishing WP OS is far more plausible.

Why did you buy the phone to begin with? It's easy to ascertain which apps are not available for the phone before you make the purchase.

I have a similar complaint in terms of lack of apps. To be honest, this is my first smartphone and I didn't worry about apps too much mostly because I'd never used apps before. In the 9 months I've had the phone, I've come to realize how many apps are missing from Windows Phone. Most companies pretty much ignore WP users, relegating us to second-class status, scavenging around for apps that do what the preferred app does, and the case of customer service apps, you simply can't select another company's app. My car has a MS-developed Bluetooth setup (a Fiat with Blue&Me), and they don't offer a WP app for their cars (Android and iOS only).

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Sure, like the largest phone OS is going to just vanish. A vanishing WP OS is far more plausible.

LOL, he's not saying the OS will disappear. He's saying Google could decide any day to discontinue any service they currently offer. That is certainly in the realm of possibilities!

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered he could have just been chewed out and now clearly made another mistake? I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I have to think you only have part of the story. Having worked retail, you would be incredibly stupid to talk out against your brand and promote a different one as superior.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered he could have just been chewed out and now clearly made another mistake? I'm not saying I don't believe this, but I have to think you only have part of the story. Having worked retail, you would be incredibly stupid to talk out against your brand and promote a different one as superior.

Nice baseless assumption.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nice baseless assumption.

Have you considered that maybe it has nothing to do with either operating system? Maybe the employee has had experiences in his childhood that have formed the way that he thinks. Did you ever stop to think that maybe he was blamed for throwing a baseball through a neighbors window at a young age? Maybe that's why he doesn't recommend Windows Phone to people. Or perhaps the apple is just one of his favorite fruits. There may have even been an apple orchard in his grandparents neighborhood where he had many fond memories.

You shouldn't be so presumptuous.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
And go to the mobile site when any sort of interaction is needed? Genius idea. I'm sure that's why companies are doing away with traditional apps and moving over to those mobile site wrappers.
I'm not suggesting this is the right approach for all apps, or that a "wrapper" is the right approach; just that thoughtful, responsive web design can fill a lot of needs. And if the OS allowed for saved credentials then interacting with the site would be even less of an issue. The web has largely replaced desktop software for most people's day to day computing needs- I'm just saying it has an under-utilized role in mobile.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't make sense to me that you own so many WP. Then you still bought another one and returned because no apps? ...

You guys seem to be deviating from the actual reason I made the thread. The apps comment was just to give context. The Amex app, for example, pops up whenever Amex decides to flag a purchase as suspicious, and because of how often I travel, it happens quite a lot. From the pop up, I just click that the charge is legit and have whoever run it through again. On the Windows phone, I'll have to call and speak with a rep to get this taken care of. I'm not bashing Windows phone, as I've mentioned already. I find the UI refreshing, but to sit here and say it's all perfect is an insult to any sane person's intelligence.

I think I currently own more Windows Phone devices than quite a few people on here - Lumia 620, 920, 925 and 1020. Break out from phones and I own a Surface RT, Surface 2 and sold my Surface Pro 2 on here a couple weeks ago. Yes, I also own a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone and Apple TV. I'd love to think I can have an objective view in this situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos