Want to buy Lumia Icon

jokoluhur

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

i'm from indonesia and would like to buy lumia icon, do you know how i can buy or maybe someone in this forum can help me?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

jokoluhur

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
But i think there's a way to buy without contract since usually verizon phone only lock on the CDMA networks but the GSM was unlock and can be use in other networks...

You are not alone. I just recently wrote an article for the german techsite www.deathmetalmods.de why Europe needs a Lumia Icon: Warum Europa ein Lumia Icon braucht | DeathMetalMods.de

Sadly - as you know - it is an Verizon exclusive. For europe this means that we wont even be able to finish the start up process as the frequencies are not supported. I guess it would be the same in Indonesia?

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Did you want someone on this forum to buy one, sell to you and ship it?

Just seeing if I understand you correctly.

If that's the case I may be able to help but it won't be cheap.

jokoluhur

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

yes the prices it must be quite high... i just want know how much and if it makes sense to me why not

Did you want someone on this forum to buy one, sell to you and ship it?

Just seeing if I understand you correctly.

If that's the case I may be able to help but it won't be cheap.

jokoluhur

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Base on experience, you can use the GSM on verizon with any sim card but the cdma you need to unlock it if you want to use it to..

currently i'm usiing moto-x by verizon but i alredy unlock the cdma slot too so i can use both cdma/gsm

Seriously? Could you explain that?

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So: what are you saying: I can put a GSM sim in any lumia icon and it will work? No unlock or anything needed? Hard to believe

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
So: what are you saying: I can put a GSM sim in any lumia icon and it will work? No unlock or anything needed? Hard to believe
You can use it anywhere. Calling and internet will work 101%. But you MIGHT have problem with txt/mms/LTE. Second day I bought my 928 I went to Russia. Everything worked except I didn't have LTE (its limited over there). Then I came back to the US, using Tmobile SIM. I don't have Lte, sometimes I can't send SMS (get error:1) and since I bought this phone (7months) yesterday for the first time I was able to send mms (it also give me error) but I receive txt/mms always. Soo, what I want to say is I think it just depends on the carriers. Had no problem with SMS in Russia here in the US not always working

Forgot to mention.. It's unlocked already, so just put sim in and it will work

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So the Lumia is a "world phone" as Verizon calls it?

Because verizon usually not only locks its device to its own network (to keep sprint customers from using their sims) but it usually doesnt even has the hardware to work on gsm frequencies.

Finally: dont verizon phones usually need a verizon sim at their first boot up to be "registered"

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
From what I know quite a few of Verizon's new LTE phones also have GSM support. The phones are GSM unlocked out of the box. This discussion has been had before about the HTC 8x about a year ago.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Windows phones will work out of the box with GSM networks, so long as the bands support it. T-Mobile tends to have a problem sending text and mms over 4g/3g networks (works over 2g for some reason), but generally I didn't really run into problems with my 928 on AT&T. The one issue I have had is with trying to use Verizon's LTE after setting APN settings in Access Point. Basically, Verizon doesn't have any APN settings with Access Point because the SIM takes care of configuration, so without APN settings to set, it keeps using the AT&T or T-Mobile settings. The only way to get LTE working again is with a full reset if the phone.

Edit: for full disclosure I have not tried a T-Mobile SIM in my Lumia Icon yet because I don't want to have to reset it to get Verizon LTE back, my experience is based on my Lumia 928 on the Amber/GDR2 rom. The Icon should be the same

Finally: dont verizon phones usually need a verizon sim at their first boot up to be "registered"

I haven't had that experience with Windows Phones, only Android Verizon phones (HTC One in particular). I think Windows Phones work more like iPhones in this regard.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure there are several folks here on the forums who would be happy to help purchase a no-contract phone and ship to you. You would be spending in the $600-$650 USD range with tax and shipping.

SpareBot

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I know but I ll be there this summer anyway. Thanks

I am still not completly sure what to make of this new gsm freedom too. But it sure sounds promising.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am following a guy from pocketnow. He tweeted about his Icon Review and said that the AT&T Sim did not work:

https://twitter.com/pinoyscavenger/status/441322819800932352

https://twitter.com/Captain2Phones/status/441323107123724288

So for that means: Its locked for GSM

All Verizon LTE phones at GSM unlocked, by law. VZW made an agreement with the government that requires them to sell their LTE phones unlocked in return for the LTE spectrum they purchased a couple years back. There at already examples of some people on this forum that are using the Icon on other carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon