The most delicate vibration I've ever heard

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has definitely been trending on quiet vibrations. I thought my 928 was fairly quiet, but the Icon is barely audible. I've missed it vibrating when it's only a couple of feet away.

For some, I guess, this may be desirable, making "silent" very close to silent.
For me, it's a pain. I hate virtually every noise a cellphone speaker can make and have always preferred the noise of the vibrating motor. I'm pretty sure that, all the way back to my StarTac, I've always kept a phone on vibrate to avoid the shrill ringing, beeping and tones a phone makes.

Not 100% sure that's as viable for this phone. Even laying on the fatboy, my 928 could wake me up if someone called while I was asleep. I'm not sure the Icon can, because I didn't hear a bunch of email that came in before I fell asleep last night.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you can get a little cow bell for your phone, so when it shakes it rings the little bell. OOOOhhh, or better yet. Put a cat collar on it!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm super confused cause my 928 has the loudest vibration I have ever heard out of any device! But yes I agree the Icon is very quiet, but coming from my 928 I just assumed that's what a normal vibrate should sound like lol

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I do miss being able to hear the vibration of my old phones that i could hear vibrate across the room. My G2 could wake me out of my sleep. this phone not so much which has been nice.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The point is to not disturb people around you with a ring. My GS4 will wake the dead with the vibrate noise. It is rather embarrassing in important meetings. Record your old phone and make a ringer out of it, LOL.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The point is to not disturb people around you with a ring. My GS4 will wake the dead with the vibrate noise. It is rather embarrassing in important meetings. Record your old phone and make a ringer out of it, LOL.

Best idea ever, haha. Make a ring tone that is the sound of a phone vibrating. Sounds so crazy it just might work!!

stingray389

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
How well does the phone vibrate? I've had phones whose vibrations were so weak, I couldn't feel the phone vibrating in my pocket when a call or message would come in

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
My 928 sounded like a baby rattle when on vibrate lol. It sounded like crap. I'm glad this one sounds more solid even if it is more quiet

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually downloaded a vibration ringtone off the Free Ringtones app! I figure it would use less battery than a real vibration anyway...

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Seems like its a higher frequency - ie: more rapid - vibration than other phones, which would tend to modulate its apparent loudness.

So, umm, in short: Seems Faster!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia text messaging tone is just so good. It's hardly disruptive at all. Just a quick *ding ding*. I'll only use vibrate if I'm in church or a meeting where I may need to be reached.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has definitely been trending on quiet vibrations. I thought my 928 was fairly quiet, but the Icon is barely audible. I've missed it vibrating when it's only a couple of feet away.

For some, I guess, this may be desirable, making "silent" very close to silent.
For me, it's a pain. I hate virtually every noise a cellphone speaker can make and have always preferred the noise of the vibrating motor. I'm pretty sure that, all the way back to my StarTac, I've always kept a phone on vibrate to avoid the shrill ringing, beeping and tones a phone makes.

Not 100% sure that's as viable for this phone. Even laying on the fatboy, my 928 could wake me up if someone called while I was asleep. I'm not sure the Icon can, because I didn't hear a bunch of email that came in before I fell asleep last night.

Delicate? Phfftt! I'd say delicate is an understatement. I've missed vibrations while it was in my pocket! I hear it just fine sitting on my night stand or when it is on the table next to me in the living room. My 928 sounded like it was roaring in comparison.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Exactly, I personally would prefer the vibrate to be QUIET and give a strong vibrate when it's my pocket, SO I know it's rigging not to disturb anyone else. This is the point of the feature and how they should be designed.

If it's a quality device, I would think it would be powerful but, quiet.

And if it is quiet like said, I am looking forward to getting my ICON...a few days...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So, I rarely ever have vibrate on. But I put it on during church because sometimes I need to be contacted.

The vibrate on my phone is POWERFUL. But quiet. And I can totally dig that. But just now with it on my desk, I got a text message and my whole friggen desk vibrated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre