I wanted this phone SO bad

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Call quality is better than my HTC 8x. For some reason I always had a hard time understanding someone on my 8x. They sound a lot clearer on the Icon. The other side said they thought it was better as well. Not sure if that helps because you may not of had an 8x. Too many variables anyway. ha.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Call quality is light years better than any smart phone ive ever had on Verizon - this includes the Blackberry Pearl, Blackberry Storm, Droid, Droid x, Galaxy Nexus, and even including my wifes Iphone 5s. Call volume seemed better than the 5s, and I haven't had any issues with dropped coverage / blind spots in NYC like I did with the Nexus.

As for everything else - imho, this phone is the t1ts McGee phone of the year - best camera, best video capture, best screen, best build quality, and imho, best and most unique UI experience. Every Iphone and Crapdroid toting friend I have is envious of it, ive personally converted (2) android users to WP. My iphone friends are so "invested in the ecosystem" with their apps, and apple TV's, and macbooks, etc. they wont switch, but to the average Droid user, I think its about time to make "the switch". I don't think google needs to be taken down, I think they just need to be knocked off their high horse a bit - maybe MS gets that 10-15% market share, and we actually get a gmail app for the platform.........not that id use it out of spite. Heremaps is better than google maps, outlook is better than Gmail, although im having some issues after I set up gmail forwarding to my outlook account.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What a beautiful device , the bulls , the screen the 1080p the colors etc - perfection ...

Then I read the reviews , the articles the videos , this forum and what do I see? a device that falls way short of doing what a smart phone should do - I can't get notifications ? wait what?

I see all kinds of bugs - ugh

really ticked.
If you read the defects thread, you will see that I am one of those people mentioning a defect. Yes, my screen has a color hue issue (and getting it replaced today), but with that said this is the best phone I've ever had. I'm talking hardware and software.

Regarding the defects thread. If you take only the posts from users posting about the problems we've found, you'll have maybe 1/3 of the whole thread.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

WOW, he just hates Windows Phone. Sad thing I kind of agree with his problems with the apps. We have a lot but, there is LOT we are missing and till we get the marketshare, we wont get the apps...

That is about my only flaw with Windows Phone...

I can see how he could be like that if he was a iOS user and uses tons of apps (iOS is just a gloified app launcher in my eyes), so he comes to Windows Phone and more than 1/2 the apps he wanted are not available or coming any time soon, the other 1/2 of the apps are 3rd party Knock offs that are not really great...

For every 3 highly wanted apps in the marketplace there is about 10 more that Windows Phone does not have.....

For me...I really wanted the ICON/929 but, the limit of 32gb and no expandable storage killed it for me...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You can't talk icon without talking OS. OS is like the bread of a sandwich - if the bread sucks so does the sangwich.

So you're saying you love turkey but hate wheat. When Nokia said "hey we are releasing a sandwich with turkey on wheat" you got excited. Now somehow you are shocked that you got turkey on wheat? What the hell were you expecting?

ClickClack

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
That's horrendous tough right ? No you tube app?

Is there an xm app?

Knock off apps ? Yeesh ... I mean WP OS comes off as worse than blackberry is these days .

No google now talk. ?

Limited phone - limiting my options .. Not good @ all .

I wanted to love this phone , hardware is awesome .

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
No you tube app?? Metrotube looks and works better than you tube on my nexus 7 and G2. I really have to wonder about some posts. Really. I've been using android since the G1 days. Rmember doughnut? No? Honestly. Have you tries some of the ((knock off)) apps? They look and run better than ANY first party app on any android device I own. Let me name a few. G1. Droid 1. Droid 2. Droidx. Bionic. Sgs3. Note 2. Sgs4. Note3. Lgg2. Xoom, Asus infinity, note 10.1 Nexus 7 2012,nexus 7 2013. Note 10.1 2014 edition. And the experience I get from the ICON is second to NONE. Imo. With the new updates for pocket file manager and UCbrowser beta mu ICON is now my daily driver. I find most hard core android users that talk about wp8 are the ones that haven't used it or pirate software. Nit that I'm saying anyone here does that. I had a feeling about android back in the day I had a touch pro 2 and look at it now! Its amazing!! I have that same feeling about wp8 /8.1 . Just wait and see.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
What a beautiful device , the bulls , the screen the 1080p the colors etc - perfection ...

Then I read the reviews , the articles the videos , this forum and what do I see? a device that falls way short of doing what a smart phone should do - I can't get notifications ? wait what?

I see all kinds of bugs - ugh

really ticked.

I made the switch from nothing but flagship Androids year after year to the Icon. I have no bugs that I can see other than the fact that they need a quick software update to make the notifications a bit louder.

I'm very happy with it and almost every review I have watched has focused the negative aspects of the phone on the Windows platform not the phone. The exception is that they all seem to be "disappointed" that the phone is not classic Nokia styling and that it is not a bright yellow phone, which frankly, I would be embarrassed to wip out at a business meeting anyway. Love the phone. Look THROUGH the reviews and you'll find its WP that they don't like.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
People on this forum above are saying phone is buggy .

You can't talk icon without talking OS. OS is like the bread of a sandwich - if the bread sucks so does the sangwich.

So is the problem no notifications or it's buggy? You seem to be jumping around.

I have seen a review yesterday that said the phone call quality is not quite good.....is it true?

Most of the reviews I've seen/read (like PocketNow) have said the phone has excellent call quality. Judging by my experience so far, it's the best sounding smart phone I've used yet.

That's horrendous tough right ? No you tube app?

Is there an xm app?

Knock off apps ? Yeesh ... I mean WP OS comes off as worse than blackberry is these days .

No google now talk. ?

Limited phone - limiting my options .. Not good @ all .

I wanted to love this phone , hardware is awesome .

So now it's an apps issue? Man you really can't get your complaints straight, can you?

So many trolls in the Icon subsection...

Jealousy makes people crazy sometimes.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
iPhones don't have any indicators either.

Wah, I have to press a button to see notifications. Cry me a river!

A river? Sorry Hondo, it is a big deal. Maybe not to you, but it is a legitimate complaint about the device. Don't be a ******, just cause it ain't nothing to you don't mean it ain't nothing.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
As a former iOS user for many years, I really have no problems with notifications. Although, the apps I get notifications most from, have live tiles, so it's really plain as day to see when I have a notification. Action Center will be great when it comes out in 8.1, but I'm really not minding the lack of a notification center at the moment. I suppose not everyone creates live tiles for apps that give them notifications?

I find a lot of Windows Phone's OS to be much quicker to get to what I need compared to iOS. But I guess not everyone likes change.

Personally, I think Microsoft sees that operating systems don't have to all look a very specific way, in order to be good. There's many fronts on which Windows Phone really takes a very innovative approach to how we use our phones. Live Tiles are the most obvious result of that, but there are more. I guess people just have to be open-minded to the fact that the way we have done things for so long may not be the best, just because we all used those systems in the past, doesn't mean we should in the future.

At one point, we did believe the Sun revolved around the Earth. It just takes a different perspective to see the potential in change of mindset. Microsoft sees that. Whether or not the hive mind is ready for it, varies.
Not saying Windows Phone is perfect by any means, but I like that Microsoft has taken a different approach than Android or iOS, and is now making up for what they have not included, previously. Action Center is coming. Cortana is coming. Many great features that you love on iOS and Android are coming. And to say Microsoft isn't on to something great would be a lie. Look at how Android and iOS have evolved in their appearance. Flatter, thinner, larger fonts, vibrant design, and more. The hive mind might hate on Windows Phone, but the competition is taking notes.

Sorry for the long-winded post!

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
What are your specific concerns beyond can't get notifications? All windows phones get notifications and show them through live tiles and also on the lock screen. If you don't pin an app/put it on the lock screen that you need notifications for then no you won't see them until you open the app.

I came to the Icon/WP from android, and for me the live tiles can be okay for notifications - but only if you are already on the home screen. If you are doing anything else - making a call, composing an email, using an app, etc., you cannot see the live tiles and therefore you don't know if the chime was because your phone started/stopped charging, you have a new move in WWF, or you have to leave NOW for that client meeting.

I am finding it stressful because I just don't know, and so I have to exit out of whatever I am doing and click back to the home screen and scan all the tiles until I figure out what made the phone chime. It's exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for. If you have been on WP of some flavor for years you may never have had notifications and so don't miss them, but coming from android there's a definite notification gap.

Yes, WP 8.1 should solve it, but that's not until summer. It's valid to feel something is missing. Suppose you broke your leg and someone said "big deal - your cast will be off this summer. What's your problem?" Well, that's true enough, but right now you have a broken leg and it kinda sucks. It's like that.

madbiologist

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I came to the Icon/WP from android, and for me the live tiles can be okay for notifications - but only if you are already on the home screen. If you are doing anything else - making a call, composing an email, using an app, etc., you cannot see the live tiles and therefore you don't know if the chime was because your phone started/stopped charging, you have a new move in WWF, or you have to leave NOW for that client meeting

that's a fair and well thought out answer and actually speaks to your use case. Thanks for the perspective as its been a couple of years since I used android. And yes, if notification aggregation that doesn't interrupt app use, buying a windows phone now is not the right buy. Waiting for 8.1 or buying an android/iPhone are the other options in that case.

It's all about the priorities of the user. I was responding to blanket statements about not getting notifications which was flat out wrong on it's face. And I say all that knowing it will probably be nice to have the notification drawer in 8.1, as long as they design it well.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
that's a fair and well thought out answer and actually speaks to your use case. Thanks for the perspective as its been a couple of years since I used android. And yes, if notification aggregation that doesn't interrupt app use, buying a windows phone now is not the right buy. Waiting for 8.1 or buying an android/iPhone are the other options in that case.

It's all about the priorities of the user. I was responding to blanket statements about not getting notifications which was flat out wrong on it's face. And I say all that knowing it will probably be nice to have the notification drawer in 8.1, as long as they design it well.

Thanks for taking the time to see where I was coming from. BTW, I am not regretting my choice of WP, but I will say that I notice the absence of the feature. Microsoft has been in the phone business for longer than Apple or Google, and it is surprising that they haven't moved a little faster to get to feature parity.

Anyway, my old phone was getting long in the tooth and I had been off contract for several months waiting for a flagship WP to come to Verizon. It wasn't worth it for me to wait for 8.1 (and/or until Nokia solves the technical issue with glance), since Icon will probably be the only WP that Verizon will get all year and I would only be prolonging the inevitable. I will say that I totally underestimated how I would react to the lack of notifications. The combination of seemingly random chimes and the lack of separate volume controls (resulting in my volume typically cranked to 30/30) is downright frustrating at times.

All I can say is when WP 8.1 hits, you longtime WP users are going to LOVE android-style notifications!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077