Indoor Photos Suck

fatrat727

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So this camera is suppose to be an upgrade from my 928 camera correct? Welllllllllll when I take indoor shots the camera does no better than my 928 it just sucks. Do I have to adjust settings for indoor photos? Both the Icon and 928 take great outdoor pics no problem. Indoor looks like crap. I would love to sale this phone based on camera features but if my rep's Note 3 can take great indoor photos compared to mine then 20mp camera won't mean anything to the customer.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing its either inside light (incandescent/flourescent) along wih dim lighting. If any of those, you should use longer exposure time without flash.

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
With any photographic equipment, it's only as good as the amount of light you give it to. Maybe compare taking pictures of the same thing with the same lighting situation on both the Note 3 and the Icon?

Glenmore Vinoya

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ensure when taking the pictures and comparing it that they are both on Auto settings. That would probably determine which is better between the two devices when it comes to Automatic settings. But then again, Nokia Camera has a more advance settings that will cater to those inclined to learn photography well compared to stock camera apps on Android.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Only thing I noticed is my low light shots are grainy when compared to similar 928 shots, but only when I don't use a flash. If I use the flash, the Icon easily exceeds my 928. Honestly not always a fan of flash and the 928 took amazing photos at night without a flash. Hopefully the Icon will be just as good with some firmware updates. The 1520 also had issues with the camera but mostly with video capturing IIRC. Not sure if that's been fixed, but that too sounded like an issue that could be corrected with an update.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Remember that the Icon has a smaller aperture than the 928 (f2.4 vs f2.0). So the 928 takes in more light per second than the Icon. The Icon has the more capable sensor, though.

01mggt

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
My indoor shots are night and day better than my 928. Almost always had to manually change the white balance to avoid the orange look and they were still fuzzy. This camera is mind blowing honestly

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
My indoor shots have been spectacular, exceeding my expectations so far - no comparison to my former Lumia 810, wife's former GSIII or in-law iPhone 5s

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Remember that the Icon has a smaller aperture than the 928 (f2.4 vs f2.0). So the 928 takes in more light per second than the Icon. The Icon has the more capable sensor, though.

This is wrong. The Icon's larger sensor makes up for more than the reduced aperture size. Think about it this way. The aperture is the percent of the senor that is blocked. I dont know the exact calculation, but for example, say f2.0 = 5% of the 1/3 sensor in the 928 is blocked. In the Icon, say f2.4=10% of the 1/2.5 sensor is blocked. The Icon is still letting in more light.

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
This is wrong. The Icon's larger sensor makes up for more than the reduced aperture size. Think about it this way. The aperture is the percent of the senor that is blocked. I dont know the exact calculation, but for example, say f2.0 = 5% of the 1/3 sensor in the 928 is blocked. In the Icon, say f2.4=10% of the 1/2.5 sensor is blocked. The Icon is still letting in more light.
Photos obviously show otherwise.
928 Flash - pitch black - Imgur

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I find my indoor shots don't look great either depending on lighting. I've been using the manual tweaks tho and find quite alot of improvement. Still not good like my canon but getting better. Point and shoot is fine for outdoor light but indoor does require adjustments to ISO etc. Still playing with mine,, but that's just my .02

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

Aperture on a camera is the ratio of the lens opening compared to the focal length. If the focal length of both phones is equal (which they are), the lower number will have a larger opening, meaning it will let in more light.

The larger sensor just means the sensor can capture more detail with the light provided to it. The opening in the icon is physically smaller, so it's letting in less light.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Aperture on a camera is the ratio of the lens opening compared to the focal length. If the focal length of both phones is equal (which they are), the lower number will have a larger opening, meaning it will let in more light.

The larger sensor just means the sensor can capture more detail with the light provided to it. The opening in the icon is physically smaller, so it's letting in less light.

So does that mean the 1020 also has a smaller opening than the 928? It definitely looks bigger

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah in lower light my pictures are fairly poor. With any natural light they look awesome though. Maybe I need to make a few changes with how I take them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro