Icon clock on charging stand

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I lost track in the threads...I have the wireless charging stand, is there a way to set a clock app to come on when I connect it? I even tried NCF Writer, but "clock" isn't an app I can access...

Thanks

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was going to suggest Glance but I recalled that the Icon doesn't have that at the moment. That will be your option once the Icon gets Glance.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If you do an NFC tap where the light goes on, it will install an app for the first time, then run a clock app. Then all you need to do is put it on the charging stand afterwards.

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Like pci2k said, NFC tap should prompt to start Weather & Calendar - just make sure Accessories is updated and that you have the Weather & Calendar app selected in Accessories for the DT-910 or whatever stand you have

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm missing something...when I tap that NFC tag, it scans and picks up nothing. I thought I had t write a tag that told the phone to turn the clock or something on? When I go to accessories it tells me to tap against the Nokia device, but I get nothing on the stand.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Here's a picture I took last week. Caution: Picture taken with an LG flip phone.

I have the same stand... I got it for free at the Microsoft store when I got my Icon. On another thread I read that they are offering the plate now instead. I much prefer the stand.

I do wish that when the phone was charging and a notification would come in my start screen would light up for a few seconds so I could see what it was. I have no idea of how they intend to implement notifications in 8.1, but hopefully something like that is a part of it. It would make sense, since folks have already customized their live tiles to show the information that's most useful to them.

The lack of some version of this is what the OP was looking for and what he is hoping he will get with Glance/8.1.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the same stand... I got it for free at the Microsoft store when I got my Icon. On another thread I read that they are offering the plate now instead. I much prefer the stand.

I do wish that when the phone was charging and a notification would come in my start screen would light up for a few seconds so I could see what it was. I have no idea of how they intend to implement notifications in 8.1, but hopefully something like that is a part of it. It would make sense, since folks have already customized their live tiles to show the information that's most useful to them.

The lack of some version of this is what the OP was looking for and what he is hoping he will get with Glance/8.1.

Whenever I get a push notification the screen does light up. Facebook, twitter, mehub, text, etc...

dsal2

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Got my stand today and I'm a bit confused about the NFC part. So far, it seems like you have to tap it to get the default behavior to happen. I can live with that, although I would rather it magically work when I drop it on the charger (like my old Palm Pre ;)). But what I can't get past is the confirmation prompt asking me to accept or ignore the nfc request. If I have to tap the nfc and then tap my phone, how is this better than a pinned tile opening the app in the first place? Is glance an improvement on this?

Thanks for any help or advice.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Got my stand today and I'm a bit confused about the NFC part. So far, it seems like you have to tap it to get the default behavior to happen. I can live with that, although I would rather it magically work when I drop it on the charger (like my old Palm Pre ;)). But what I can't get past is the confirmation prompt asking me to accept or ignore the nfc request. If I have to tap the nfc and then tap my phone, how is this better than a pinned tile opening the app in the first place? Is glance an improvement on this?

Thanks for any help or advice.

I never got an answer to that part, either. I used an NFC tag, but it wants a confirmation each time, so what's the point?

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I never got an answer to that part, either. I used an NFC tag, but it wants a confirmation each time, so what's the point?
If I read somewhere that confirmation will go away with 8.1. I believe they will allow you select a trust level on the tag and future taps on that trusted tag will not prompt you to confirm.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I lost track in the threads...I have the wireless charging stand, is there a way to set a clock app to come on when I connect it? I even tried NCF Writer, but "clock" isn't an app I can access...

Thanks

Wait. What's this? The last we heard from you, you had boxed up your Icon and were going to return it due to "the whole lack of LED/notification."
In http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/267724-bridge-too-far-now.html, you said, "So know I know WP is right for me, just not this WP."

Try this: Desktop Mode Desktop Mode app activates "hidden" Lumia Weather & Calendar app

drn007

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
If you leave a static image on an amoled screen for too long, you'll get screen burn in. Be very careful.
I got a desk top app that shows time and weather/temperature. It moves every so often on the screen so, no worries. I also learned you can dim the clock by dragging diagonally from top corner towards bottom of screen. Love it!

drn007

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If you leave a static image on an amoled screen for too long, you'll get screen burn in. Be very careful.
Does anyone know how long is to long? I've been using a nite clock that stays in a fixed position for a couple weeks now each night. I've noticed no burn issue, but should this be a concern?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte