03-15-2014 02:41 AM
30 12
tools
    I lost track in the threads...I have the wireless charging stand, is there a way to set a clock app to come on when I connect it? I even tried NCF Writer, but "clock" isn't an app I can access...

Thanks
    02-27-2014 02:09 AM
    I was going to suggest Glance but I recalled that the Icon doesn't have that at the moment. That will be your option once the Icon gets Glance.
    02-27-2014 04:34 AM
    If you do an NFC tap where the light goes on, it will install an app for the first time, then run a clock app. Then all you need to do is put it on the charging stand afterwards.
    02-27-2014 05:27 AM
    Like pci2k said, NFC tap should prompt to start Weather & Calendar - just make sure Accessories is updated and that you have the Weather & Calendar app selected in Accessories for the DT-910 or whatever stand you have
    02-27-2014 08:10 AM
    I'm missing something...when I tap that NFC tag, it scans and picks up nothing. I thought I had t write a tag that told the phone to turn the clock or something on? When I go to accessories it tells me to tap against the Nokia device, but I get nothing on the stand.
    02-27-2014 10:31 AM
    What charger do you have? Also is Tap+Send turned off? If it needs to be on in order for the NFC tag to work.
    02-27-2014 10:42 AM
    How does the Icon fit on the DT-910? Does it sit well?
    03-05-2014 07:33 AM
    How does the Icon fit on the DT-910? Does it sit well?
    Sits very well in mine.
    03-05-2014 07:57 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    03-05-2014 08:12 AM
    Thanks for the reply.
    Here's a picture I took last week. Caution: Picture taken with an LG flip phone.

v__1153.jpg
    03-05-2014 08:44 AM
    Here's a picture I took last week. Caution: Picture taken with an LG flip phone.
    I have the same stand... I got it for free at the Microsoft store when I got my Icon. On another thread I read that they are offering the plate now instead. I much prefer the stand.

I do wish that when the phone was charging and a notification would come in my start screen would light up for a few seconds so I could see what it was. I have no idea of how they intend to implement notifications in 8.1, but hopefully something like that is a part of it. It would make sense, since folks have already customized their live tiles to show the information that's most useful to them.

The lack of some version of this is what the OP was looking for and what he is hoping he will get with Glance/8.1.
    Last edited by savagelizards; 03-06-2014 at 05:49 AM. Reason: edited after reading on another thread that the OP changed his mind and is keeping his Icon
    03-06-2014 05:21 AM
    I have the same stand... I got it for free at the Microsoft store when I got my Icon. On another thread I read that they are offering the plate now instead. I much prefer the stand.

I do wish that when the phone was charging and a notification would come in my start screen would light up for a few seconds so I could see what it was. I have no idea of how they intend to implement notifications in 8.1, but hopefully something like that is a part of it. It would make sense, since folks have already customized their live tiles to show the information that's most useful to them.

The lack of some version of this is what the OP was looking for and what he is hoping he will get with Glance/8.1.
    Whenever I get a push notification the screen does light up. Facebook, twitter, mehub, text, etc...
    03-06-2014 08:22 AM
    Got my stand today and I'm a bit confused about the NFC part. So far, it seems like you have to tap it to get the default behavior to happen. I can live with that, although I would rather it magically work when I drop it on the charger (like my old Palm Pre ;)). But what I can't get past is the confirmation prompt asking me to accept or ignore the nfc request. If I have to tap the nfc and then tap my phone, how is this better than a pinned tile opening the app in the first place? Is glance an improvement on this?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    03-10-2014 07:41 PM
    Got my stand today and I'm a bit confused about the NFC part. So far, it seems like you have to tap it to get the default behavior to happen. I can live with that, although I would rather it magically work when I drop it on the charger (like my old Palm Pre ;)). But what I can't get past is the confirmation prompt asking me to accept or ignore the nfc request. If I have to tap the nfc and then tap my phone, how is this better than a pinned tile opening the app in the first place? Is glance an improvement on this?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    I never got an answer to that part, either. I used an NFC tag, but it wants a confirmation each time, so what's the point?
    03-10-2014 11:33 PM
    If you leave a static image on an amoled screen for too long, you'll get screen burn in. Be very careful.
    03-11-2014 09:28 AM
    I never got an answer to that part, either. I used an NFC tag, but it wants a confirmation each time, so what's the point?
    If I read somewhere that confirmation will go away with 8.1. I believe they will allow you select a trust level on the tag and future taps on that trusted tag will not prompt you to confirm.
    03-11-2014 09:36 AM
    I lost track in the threads...I have the wireless charging stand, is there a way to set a clock app to come on when I connect it? I even tried NCF Writer, but "clock" isn't an app I can access...

Thanks
    Wait. What's this? The last we heard from you, you had boxed up your Icon and were going to return it due to "the whole lack of LED/notification."
    In http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...o-far-now.html, you said, "So know I know WP is right for me, just not this WP."

Try this: Desktop Mode Desktop Mode app activates "hidden" Lumia Weather & Calendar app
    03-11-2014 09:50 AM
    If you leave a static image on an amoled screen for too long, you'll get screen burn in. Be very careful.
    I got a desk top app that shows time and weather/temperature. It moves every so often on the screen so, no worries. I also learned you can dim the clock by dragging diagonally from top corner towards bottom of screen. Love it!
    03-11-2014 03:13 PM
    This is the app I justed posted about above. NICE!

Wait. What's this? The last we heard from you, you had boxed up your Icon and were going to return it due to "the whole lack of LED/notification."
    In http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...o-far-now.html, you said, "So know I know WP is right for me, just not this WP."

Try this: Desktop Mode Desktop Mode app activates "hidden" Lumia Weather & Calendar app
    03-11-2014 03:15 PM
    Does anyone know how long is to long? I've been using a nite clock that stays in a fixed position for a couple weeks now each night. I've noticed no burn issue, but should this be a concern?
    03-11-2014 03:41 PM
    Does anyone know how long is to long? I've been using a nite clock that stays in a fixed position for a couple weeks now each night. I've noticed no burn issue, but should this be a concern?
    If it's an amoled screen, and the image doesn't move, yes it's a concern. My suggestion is to stop using that app.
    cbreze likes this.
    03-11-2014 05:06 PM
    Tried the "desktop" mode app for a clock and it changes position besides having a dimming feature. Win/Win. Wouldn't have known if not for this thread. Thanks everyone.
    03-11-2014 07:09 PM
    Read the rest of the thread...

Can someone post a step by step for this? I'm still not tracking.

Thanks
    03-12-2014 01:49 AM
    Okay, crickets...

So, I have the DT-910 (or whatever) official stand. Tap+send is one. When I put it on the charger, it makes the chime, then, nothing. I picked up the base and tapped the bottom to the phone, and I got the setup screen, selected the app "desktop mode", but that's in some cycle and won't start.

My (larger) question is, the NFC doesn't seem to be triggering just from being placed in the cradle. Is it supposed to?

For work, I have a Blackberry. An old, broke azz Blackberry. I have a desktop charger. When I put the BB in the charger, it automatically goes in to "bedside mode". The screen dims way down, and a clock comes on the screen (and the alarm, if active). Now, surely if this relic can operate so simply, a modern marvel like the Icon can, right? So what am I missing? Other than Glance?
    03-13-2014 02:19 AM
    Okay, crickets...

So, I have the DT-910 (or whatever) official stand. Tap+send is one. When I put it on the charger, it makes the chime, then, nothing. I picked up the base and tapped the bottom to the phone, and I got the setup screen, selected the app "desktop mode", but that's in some cycle and won't start.

My (larger) question is, the NFC doesn't seem to be triggering just from being placed in the cradle. Is it supposed to?

For work, I have a Blackberry. An old, broke azz Blackberry. I have a desktop charger. When I put the BB in the charger, it automatically goes in to "bedside mode". The screen dims way down, and a clock comes on the screen (and the alarm, if active). Now, surely if this relic can operate so simply, a modern marvel like the Icon can, right? So what am I missing? Other than Glance?
    First, do a soft reset on your phone.
    Go to settings -> accessories:
    wp_ss_20140313_0005.png

Select your charging stand:
    wp_ss_20140313_0006.png
    and make sure the app "Weather & Calendar" is selected.
    wp_ss_20140313_0003.png

In the future, when you tap the back of the phone to the base of the charger this will pop-up:
    wp_ss_20140313_0004.png

Tapping accept will take you to the app:
    wp_ss_20140313_0002.png
    meathead88 and ret18057 like this.
    03-13-2014 10:51 AM
30 12