Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I'm set on going away from Apple when I'm due. Been doing all the android vs windows research, and have clearly found an os in Windows that I'm very interested in trying. But, I have heard some negative about using Gmail on it, and as a heavy Gmail user that makes me nervous. Should I be?

Thanks.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone got builtin gmail and i use it dialy,i absolutely got no problems with it.Just use the builtin gmail-it's the best,the third party ones from Store are bad.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, El Goog isn't a fan of Microsoft so there's almost no dedicated Google apps. After Google started showing my face and full name in advertisements, I switched to Outlook. My Gmail use prior to that wasn't that extreme. I mostly just received/sent emails, so I'm not sure how a heavy user would be affected.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Gmail is treated like all other email in WP8, as far as I can tell. I have a GMail account I don't use that much, but I do have it setup on my 928 with no issues.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Yea, it's well stated in here. You can add your Google account to the list of accounts and it'll pull your emails, contacts, and calendar.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I think Apps for Email Accounts are useless on WP8,Windows Phone already got built-in system to it can use almost any email system,and no issues
wp_ss_20140227_0001.png

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm set on going away from Apple when I'm due. Been doing all the android vs windows research, and have clearly found an os in Windows that I'm very interested in trying. But, I have heard some negative about using Gmail on it, and as a heavy Gmail user that makes me nervous. Should I be?

Thanks.

I developed the following: MetroMail | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States). In my opinion, you won't miss anything coming from iOS.

If you are using Gmail in a VERY basic way (e.g. no use of labels, no real need to archive things, etc etc), then the built-in client could be sufficient.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
You guys are a doing a disservice to the platform, by telling a heavy Gmail user that the built-in client would be sufficient for him. Maybe you could try converting him to Outlook if you are that dedicated to the cause! But any heavy Gmail user and new WP user that tries to use the built-in client, he/she will leave WP running within the week. Instead, you can simply recommend those apps that are worth it and are appropriate for the question asked.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
You guys are a doing a disservice to the platform, by telling a heavy Gmail user that the built-in client would be sufficient for him. Maybe you could try converting him to Outlook if you are that dedicated to the cause! But any heavy Gmail user and new WP user that tries to use the built-in client, he/she will leave WP running within the week. Instead, you can simply recommend those apps that are worth it and are appropriate for the question asked.

No need to get up in arms. They're just stating that they have no issues using Gmail on their Icons. You obviously have a bias in the situation as you've stated that you have your own mail app. Perhaps OP should be less inclined to listen to you?

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Considering this:

This comment isn't surprising:

No need to jump on the offensive, and no one is doing anyone a disservice. He offered no details on his Gmail use, just "should I be nervous." The answer, regardless of how he uses Gmail, is "No." I would've recommended your app had I known about it, but considering how you're lashing out, I'm tempted not to.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
No need to jump on the offensive, and no one is doing anyone a disservice. He offered no details on his Gmail use, just "should I be nervous." The answer, regardless of how he uses Gmail, is "No." I would've recommended your app had I known about it, but considering how you're lashing out, I'm tempted not to.

He said he is a "heavy" Gmail user. And I stand by my comment. Like I said, I would understand try to convert him to Outlook; no problem about that. I am not new to this part, I get the feeling towards Google, and I don't think it's unwarranted anyway. You will never see me complaining about that. But I think I am right when saying "heavy Gmail user + trying out WP + built-in client = abandon WP within the week". You are free to recommend the app or not; that's up to you. Or you can recommend one of the other Gmail apps. But if your goal is to really answer the question by the OP, recommending the native client without also mentioning the big list of caveats that come with it, is wrong.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Or he can judge by the reviews of the app. Even better, as the app offers a fully-functional free 30 day trial, maybe he can try it himself and decide?

You might as well have started that out with "But wait... THERE'S MORE!!!".

I'm not saying there's something wrong with your app. I have no opinion on it whatsoever. My issue is with your statements regarding other posters doing OP a "disservice" and inferring that they're blind fanboys pushing MS products, especially when you have a personal stake in the outcome of these types of user decisions.

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully I can answer your question.

I just came from Android as my last 3 smartphones.

I was a Google ******. Lived by Gmail and all their other apps and programs. Gmail still is my person email, even with the move. For work, it's all Microsoft, so I decided to transition due to all the Android hardware eventually giving me trouble (and I only keep phones for 8-16 months).

Anyways, with WP8, I use the built in mail client. Sign into Google and it'll sync your contacts with all their information, and obviously your email. You'll get all your folders/labels as well. It's smooth and no problem. Also, when you add a new contact, you can have the option of adding it to Google.

MetroMail is great as well. I downloaded it and use it occasionally. It gives you a more Google feel, but on a Windows Phone skin. You can't go wrong with either.

If you are just sending/receiving tons of emails, the built it would suffice. However, take a look at MetroMail.

No, you don't have the Google based apps on the phone, but 3rd party apps work great (Google Maps, Google Voice, etc.).

I see no difference in my Gmail while on Windows Phone. I've had no issues.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
He said he is a "heavy" Gmail user. And I stand by my comment. Like I said, I would understand try to convert him to Outlook; no problem about that. I am not new to this part, I get the feeling towards Google, and I don't think it's unwarranted anyway. You will never see me complaining about that. But I think I am right when saying "heavy Gmail user + trying out WP + built-in client = abandon WP within the week". You are free to recommend the app or not; that's up to you. Or you can recommend one of the other Gmail apps. But if your goal is to really answer the question by the OP, recommending the native client without also mentioning the big list of caveats that come with it, is wrong.

You're making an assumption based on the term "heavy." I know "heavy" Gmail users who know nothing of the folders. Using something a lot doesn't equate to using every last feature. The native functionality syncs email to and from Gmail, the Calendar and Contacts and works within the framework of the base OS functionality. Nothing we said was factually incorrect: it provides the basic, core functionality of Google's services, and for a lot of people, that's more than enough.

I cannot, in good faith, recommend an app I have no experience with, and/or have never heard of. You barged in here like people are slighting your product, when no one is doing anything of the like (with one exception, see below). I have no problems with you saying "you can check out my app, it's designed to replace the lack of a gmail app, includes all the gmail features the native functionality doesn't have, and has good reviews", but saying people here are doing him a "disservice" and attacking us is a jerkoff thing to do.

In all fairness, I don't agree with Nokia Boy's stance (saying all the 3rd party apps suck), so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that he riled you up a bit. Still, your attitude is off putting.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
You might as well have started that out with "But wait... THERE'S MORE!!!".

I'm not saying there's something wrong with your app. I have no opinion on it whatsoever. My issue is with your statements regarding other posters doing OP a "disservice" and inferring that they're blind fanboys pushing MS products, especially when you have a personal stake in the outcome of these types of user decisions.

This is my stance. I'm sure your app is solid, and as a fan of the ecosystem I hope you do well with it, I just took issue with your attitude.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This is my stance. I'm sure your app is solid, and as a fan of the ecosystem I hope you do well with it, I just took issue with your attitude.

Fair enough; my bad! Sorry for hijacking your thread OP. I guess the summary is that you shouldn't be worried about using Gmail on WP. There are multiple options available, covering all possible use cases.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb