Nokia Lumia Icon TV commercial

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I finally started seeing the ad, & honestly i think it's horrible. They need to fire the ad agency. My high school kids both think it really lame. My wife said " yeah right".....

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
That commercial sucks, they shouldn't be playing to buyers just because of the video capabilities. Someone should be yelling at the guy "your son is snow board jumping in a competition and all you brought was your cell phone to take video!". If video is the main reason for getting an Icon then those buyers should just keep their current phone and get a real video camera. For me it's more about "bored with iPhone, tired of the Android mess, try a fresh approach to mobile operating systems...". Not to mention the class leading hardware.

Having been a professional photographer it makes me sad that everyone is using cell phones for photography. The art of understanding composition, light, depth of field, shutter speed, etc. is the joy of photography. Cell phone cameras are fine for quick and unexpected photos, but using it as a main source of equipment is a sad state of affairs.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They really need to have a commercial that doesn't seem so fake, one that is memorable, this one is just so blah. You know what is a good commercial? The current iPad commercial, that is brilliant. My 7 year is even going around saying the damn tag line.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
nokias advertising has always been terrible , I think some more comparisons with other phones would be a good start , bored of apple , finding android a mess , worldwide sat nav , night time pics , the speed of the o/s , general publics opinion etc etc

people need to know how competitive windows on a nokia is and what can be done with it ;-)

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Aww come on, you don't feel like skipping down the street with your Icon listening to Sara Bareilles? :winktongue:

I can't say I've ever had that feeling. :p

Off topic, but I saw a waitress with an I Love Windows Phone shirt at a local restaurant at dinner tonight. Let's just say I was surprised. I probably should have said something, but I'm not really one to speak out.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Seems okay. I hate that song they play at the end, though.

The song is actually pretty popular in adult music circles...

Brave (Sara Bareilles song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the commercial is a nice step in the right direction. One of the selling points of Nokia phones, and this one in particular, is the 20 mexapixel camera and the Nokia camera and picture apps, so of course they are going to highlight those. Duh.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It's a decent, informative ad. It doesn't slam iPhone or Android (which I think is lame).

Let's get real about video, if the phone does it well, even parents would rather use a phone than a camera. The only problem is that the ad is not particularly memorable. If I were comparing ad agencies, that wouldn't quite be the result I'm looking for.

On a different subject, those Nokia Android phones ... bizarre that they were called X-phones. Windows phones should have been called X-phones. Just my opinion, but I've been thinking that ever since WP came out. To me, that's catchy.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
That commercial sucks, they shouldn't be playing to buyers just because of the video capabilities. Someone should be yelling at the guy "your son is snow board jumping in a competition and all you brought was your cell phone to take video!". If video is the main reason for getting an Icon then those buyers should just keep their current phone and get a real video camera. For me it's more about "bored with iPhone, tired of the Android mess, try a fresh approach to mobile operating systems...". Not to mention the class leading hardware.

Having been a professional photographer it makes me sad that everyone is using cell phones for photography. The art of understanding composition, light, depth of field, shutter speed, etc. is the joy of photography. Cell phone cameras are fine for quick and unexpected photos, but using it as a main source of equipment is a sad state of affairs.

the guys that show up to school performances with a video camera always stop halfway through with a dead battery, arm ache, or realizing they forgot to press record...

I shot a 35 minute presentation (just 720p) with my phone last week, and uploaded it to family members on the way home without a hiccup. honestly the family members I share it with don't care about composition, video quality, or what I shot it with, they just want to set the kids having fun.
. this is why so many people use their cell phones instead of lugging rarely used video cameras around.

the only issue I see with cellphone videos/pictures is teaching people to shoot landscape, or using the phone gyroscope to always set it as landscape.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
the guys that show up to school performances with a video camera always stop halfway through with a dead battery, arm ache, or realizing they forgot to press record...

Sure, but it's tiring holding your hands up for that long with nothing in them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon