NEW WP USER Need Advice

MATT_AUSTIN1

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a iPhone 5s and a Moto X. I really like the New Icon but I am kinda nervous about making the switch. Ive never used WP before. I have done some research on apps and how to transfer everything from my iPhone. But I am curious if anyone has made the transfer over from iPhone and Android and what has the experience has been. Also did you switch back? Also did you miss anything from those platforms? I use Google Play Music right now what is a good music player for WP....Spotify? Beats Music? Xbox Music Pass? Thanks for the help in advance.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I am "in transition". The OS is VERY intuitive, easy to use. Read up here and ask questions like I did, most people here are pretty good about helping. You will miss some apps, the extent varies by user. And make sure you read up on the (lack of) notification alerts (the whole Glance missing thing). Also, there is a Samsung WP about to drop on Verizon, so look in to that. I know I am...

Ha, I did switch back for a day, but I nutted up and came back to give it it's due. Glad I did.

All in all, I'm glad I hung in there (I have a 30 day return). 8.1 is supposed to cure most of my ills, I hope.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a iPhone 5s and a Moto X. I really like the New Icon but I am kinda nervous about making the switch. Ive never used WP before. I have done some research on apps and how to transfer everything from my iPhone. But I am curious if anyone has made the transfer over from iPhone and Android and what has the experience has been. Also did you switch back? Also did you miss anything from those platforms? I use Google Play Music right now what is a good music player for WP....Spotify? Beats Music? Xbox Music Pass? Thanks for the help in advance.

First of all, Windows Phone 8.1 update will match and even exceed iOS's features. Also its stable and secure than any other mobile OSs out there.
So you'll have a wonderful experience with Windows Phone device.

The only reason people switch back is due to missing apps. If you have an app you don't see in WP Store, there is probably a good alternate 3rd party app for it. Or it will be coming soon.

But most important part is that you try it out yourself. :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Here are some essential apps to welcome you to windows
a) lockie or lockmix for lockscreen (your choice)
b) nokia camera
c) myTube (youtube app, epic !)
d) pocket file manager (its fully functional)
e) picsart
f) nokia storyteller
g) myAppFree
h) amazing weather hd (its paid) or bing weather (free)
g) wpcentral ;-)
h) for shortcuts to settings you can use status tiles or quick settings
i) all your social apps, instagram, vine, fb, WhatsApp, viber, Skype, 6sbnap (snapchat client)
j) weave news reader or flipmag beta for rea
Hope you enjoy your ride here at wp !

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a iPhone 5s and Android phones (GS4, Moto X, had a Note 2). I'm currently using a 928. I tend to switch between phones, but am trying to stick it out with WP. With iPhone I felt I had a device that could handle every need, but longed for a bigger screen. Android filled the need for the bigger screen with apps that fit most needs, but not as nicely as the iPhone. The 928 is a great phone with a great low light camera and WP has a very nice design aesthetic. The apps fit most of my needs, but the I miss the occasional app like TiVo, Chrome browser, Amazon video, a solid YouTube app that doesn't get screwed every now and then with some Google update, etc. There are 3rd party apps for WP that fill the remaining void, but just aren't as nice as their official IOS counterparts (IM+ in place of Cisco Jabber for work, Dropcam replacement, Metro Voice, Metro Tube, etc). I do enjoy the MS office and Exchange integration as it comes in handy for work. I also really like the live tiles and don't really miss a "notification center" as much as others. It's a real paradigm and mental shift in some cases (ex. Using people hub for social media updates vs. using each individual app), but one that is very nice once you get used to it.

All in all it depends on what is important to you. I'm trying to give WP a chance to see if I really miss the small things or if the better low light camera performance, having something different, integrated social media, etc. will win in the long run. I also just got a Surface Pro 2 and am really enjoying that too as so far it seems like it could really replace a work laptop.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Is there a Twitter client that shows in line pictures?

Sadly, the one I use did, but they pulled the app because they hit Twitter's stupid token limit.

You can use the people app to view your feed, and it shows pictures inline. Go to people, swipe to what's new, tap all accounts and tap Twitter.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Glad to here it! I love it also but only owned an iPhone4s for about 1week and never had a google device. I had several Palm Pre's including the elusive Palm Pre3.
Lucky you! I so wanted the Pre 3 on Verizon, then Leo pulled his idiotic stunt. webOS...how we miss you...oh wait...Touchpad!

As to the op's question on music, Nokia Music is really good, free, and commercial free. They have a premium option for more off-line mixes and some other features, but the core set is basically a better Pandora (I find the music quality to be really good and the premium option has higher quality audio available). It's also very good at minimizing the streaming data amount to get the songs to you. If I streamed daily going to and from work (about a half hour each way) I would easily stream well over a GB of data. Over the last 21 days of doing the same, I've used 492MB of data streaming music. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so I would notice if the music quality was worse, but it's actually better. Not sure how they do it.

nx_2000

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 4. My only major disappointments are the complete lack of a local backup solution for phone contents (completely inexcusable), which essentially prevented me from importing old text messages. I'm also missing apps like NHL Gamecenter Live and my bank's app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs