Short Battery Lifespan

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I am at 12 hours off charger and still at 81% with light to moderate use. Never had any issue with battery on this phone or my 928 when I had it. I can easily get through a day with heavy use. I have to ask what OP and others were doing all day to drain so quickly.

Emailing, texting, web surfing, WWF, and of course phone calls. That's enough to drain it in several hours. My phone will usually give me a warning that the "battery is draining quickly" about 25 minutes after I pick it up and start using it. It's the Danica Patrick of battery life. Not exactly terrible, but mediocre at best. Not quite enough to get the job done.
That's why I charge it up whenever I can. It won't make it through a day without an additional charge at some point.

I will admit that I did just about kill the battery one day with some Asphalt 8, but that's not my norm. That game will even drain my surface pro in a couple of hours. In fact, I haven't played since, but I wanted to download it and see how well it performed on the Icon. It screamed. The gameplay was absolutely identical to my surface pro, except the screen's smaller size meant you had to be really quick to avoid oncoming traffic.

Anyway, there's no mystery here. My last phone had a dual core processor, smaller screen and a 3300 mAh battery. The Icon's is less than 2/3rds the size, and its powering a quad core processor and 1080p screen. Clearly this was a design compromise. Any power user would find this battery smallish to make it through a typical 16-hour day. It's simply a numbers thing.

Finally, Indistinguishable is correct as far as it goes that turning off features will extend your battery life. And I have done a few of those. But at the end of the day we all buy phones so that we can use them, features and all. I love the QI charging, as it helps keep me topped up, but I can't help but wonder how much extra battery they could have fit in this housing if they didn't build in the QI charging coils. What's better - a phone that's easy to spot-charge to keep you going, or one that you only have to charge overnight?

K Boston

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
11 hours 22 minutes since my last charge. I'm at 70%. My phone arrived on Feb 25, the battery sucked until two days ago. Getting better everyday. I shut off anything not needed and stop all background stuff I also don't require. I text, receive emails, light surfing and a whole bunch of talking. No issue here with the battery life.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Your best bet, if you constantly use the phone for browsing and calls, is to have a Qi charger or two handy and just place it down there when you get a chance to charge it some. Won't take much to get you through the day.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
By way of measurement... At 6:55 am I have been up just over an hour. I checked my email, surfed the web, made an appointment. Set my phone down for about fifteen minutes. 85% battery left. Estimate is 10 hours 10 minutes remaining.

I think that's a pretty realistic estimate of what the battery life will be like. When I get to the office this baby is going right into the charging stand so it will be juiced up when I need it.

its workable. You just need to have a strategy. But no way its going twelve hours with 80% left. I just don't think that's a realistic result for most folks.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
A suggestion to those talking about charging. It's generally not good for your phone to be charged all the time. It would require some babysitting of the phone but a good practice is to not let it get below 25-30% and not let it charge to more than 95%. This will retain the life of the battery better than just sitting it on a charger, letting the battery cook while you're not using it.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
A suggestion to those talking about charging. It's generally not good for your phone to be charged all the time. It would require some babysitting of the phone but a good practice is to not let it get below 25-30% and not let it charge to more than 95%. This will retain the life of the battery better than just sitting it on a charger, letting the battery cook while you're not using it.

Kage, I don't necessarily disagree with you. You're observation is correct.

Nonetheless, Nokia seems to have made that decision for us by opting for QI charging in place of a larger battery. If this battery was at least 3300 mAh, like the 1520, the battery life would be almost 50% better. The phone could stand a 15-16 hour day and simply charge overnight. However, the QI charger is not simply a nicety on this phone. For me, and for some others, it is a necessity. Which means it is on and off the charger getting 5% here, 15% there throughout the day.

I have to believe that Nokia considered this and there's some sort of battery management taking place here. QI charging is a pretty well established technology at this point. I did a quick web search and couldn't find anything about QI charging and reduced battery life. I may be making the mistake of assuming without the data to know otherwise, but it would seem if this practice was materially reducing battery life manufacturers like Nokia and Samsung be faced with warranty claims and wouldn't continue to support it.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
By way of measurement... At 6:55 am I have been up just over an hour. I checked my email, surfed the web, made an appointment. Set my phone down for about fifteen minutes. 85% battery left. Estimate is 10 hours 10 minutes remaining.

I think that's a pretty realistic estimate of what the battery life will be like. When I get to the office this baby is going right into the charging stand so it will be juiced up when I need it.

its workable. You just need to have a strategy. But no way its going twelve hours with 80% left. I just don't think that's a realistic result for most folks.

I will take a screenshot next time on the weekend for you. At work, where I use the phone even more, I can get through a 12 hour shift and usually have 60-65% left sometimes in the 70% range. You guys might have bad batteries I don't know. The battery for me is on point if not better than my 928 when I had it.

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Naturally it will take a couple of full charging cycles to have the battery reach its full potential. The battery has been sitting at a certain amount while in storage and has settled.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
and they don't help

Yes they do.

Kage, I don't necessarily disagree with you. You're observation is correct.

Nonetheless, Nokia seems to have made that decision for us by opting for QI charging in place of a larger battery. If this battery was at least 3300 mAh, like the 1520, the battery life would be almost 50% better. The phone could stand a 15-16 hour day and simply charge overnight. However, the QI charger is not simply a nicety on this phone. For me, and for some others, it is a necessity. Which means it is on and off the charger getting 5% here, 15% there throughout the day.

I have to believe that Nokia considered this and there's some sort of battery management taking place here. QI charging is a pretty well established technology at this point. I did a quick web search and couldn't find anything about QI charging and reduced battery life. I may be making the mistake of assuming without the data to know otherwise, but it would seem if this practice was materially reducing battery life manufacturers like Nokia and Samsung be faced with warranty claims and wouldn't continue to support it.

I don't think the Qi charging is meant to replace a larger battery. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's more likely that Nokia ran into space issues and couldn't fit a bigger battery in the phone or they were just cutting costs.

Either way, charging it 5% here, 30% there, and so on will reduce the overall battery life of your phone over time. Nokia and Samsung are aware of battery life deterioration but it generally happens in such a subtle way that most users don't easily recognize it. I know for a fact every one of my phones held less of a charge near the end of my 2 year plan than they did in the beginning. Exercising good battery charging habits can extend the life of the battery, regardless of how it's charged.

Edit:

Maybe I'm a bit out of date on batteries. What I read was only a few months ago, but this thread says that good charging patterns are not necessary:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/266749-wireless-charging-questions.html

Last edited:

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that we will see a Nokia specific update soon that will have some fixes/enhancements to address some of these concerns. I think the battery life on my icon is really good. I had a 928 and the battery life on that wasn't all that great until Nokia released updates.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Even without any updates, I still think my Icon has a much better battery life than my 928. I would usually let my 928 charge over night and have to charge it again once I'm ready to leave work at 6pm. However now with the Icon, I generally just charge it once during work and it lasts until the next work day. Even on the weekends it's fine. Last Saturday I headed out around 11 to look for a new place to live. I had my phone synced to the radio using blutooth, was using the GPS all day for directions, using the internet to look up information on the places I was visiting, texting, calls, and so on and didn't need to charge it until 9 that night.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I will take a screenshot next time on the weekend for you. At work, where I use the phone even more, I can get through a 12 hour shift and usually have 60-65% left sometimes in the 70% range. You guys might have bad batteries I don't know. The battery for me is on point if not better than my 928 when I had it.

Here is my screenshot:

wp_ss_20140303_0001.jpg

I took the phone off my charging stand at lunchtime, as I headed out the door. I was in meetings most of the afternoon (limited usage), returned a few calls at the end of the workday, listened to an audiobook in the way home and just spent about 45 minutes surfing the web. This is pretty consistent with the battery life I have gotten, which is better since I turned off tap+send and switched the networks to CDMA + LTE a couple of days after I got it.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140303_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20140303_0001.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
new phone?
it is normal when the new phone get low battery
the windowsphone OS need to do something with your phone and it use more battery
just use it normally and it will be better after 1 or 2 weeks

better do this for new phone ; charge it when it said critical low (10%) up to 100%
do that again and again for 4-5 times and your battery will become better
after that you can charge your battery whenever you want

My Icon has gained some stamina for sure. I think battery life is great. My HTC One was dead by 5pm and I usually get to bed with about 20% left on the Icon after what I consider to be pretty heavy "normal" use for a phone.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just for reference, here's the kind of typical battery life I get with my 822 (whose battery isn't all that high in capacity either). This includes a good bit of frequent checking of messages, kids playing games on the phone for a while, about a half hour's worth of browsing, checking a news app off and on (plus other assorted app uses), and about 40 minutes straight of sitting and reading. I suspect you either have a bad battery, or you have a single background process that is constantly working your data connection and causing the large drain. I remember one app in particular doing something similar to me, and I removed the app, and fixed the large drain (typically about 12-15% per hour at times when it's background service got stuck).

My advice is to turn off ALL your background tasks in Settings. Block them all. Reboot your phone. Then, see if the drain stays away for a day. If so, then you know it is an app, and can find it by letting one have it's background service back at a time. Give it half a day for each app to make sure it's not getting stuck after a while and causing the drain. Clearly, if the drain does not go away, then the battery is either dead, or the battery monitor needs to be reset, which will require letting the battery go until the phone turns off, then recharging fully, without interrupting it. If that doesn't work, take the phone back and ask for a replacement.
wp_ss_20140303_0002.pngwp_ss_20140303_0001.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)