Short Battery Lifespan

RobiHeat

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Picked up the Icon last Thursday from Verizon. First a Windows Phone ever, coming from Sammy's Galaxy phones. On full charge the battery is telling me its only going to last around 12 hrs. I looked through Nokia's and Microsoft's websites on how to make the battery last longer, didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions? And if it matters, my girl has the same phone but whereas I picked it up from Verizon we got hers from a Microsoft Store. She's having the same low battery life.

rubenwidjaja

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
new phone?
it is normal when the new phone get low battery
the windowsphone OS need to do something with your phone and it use more battery
just use it normally and it will be better after 1 or 2 weeks

better do this for new phone ; charge it when it said critical low (10%) up to 100%
do that again and again for 4-5 times and your battery will become better
after that you can charge your battery whenever you want

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Need more information about how much you use your phone & what you do with it.

My phone gets about 20 hrs with moderate usage if I don't charge it at all. Through out the day, I tend to throw it on the wireless charger when I'm not using it. Battery is never a problem for me.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Picked up the Icon last Thursday from Verizon. First a Windows Phone ever, coming from Sammy's Galaxy phones. On full charge the battery is telling me its only going to last around 12 hrs. I looked through Nokia's and Microsoft's websites on how to make the battery last longer, didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions? And if it matters, my girl has the same phone but whereas I picked it up from Verizon we got hers from a Microsoft Store. She's having the same low battery life.

I came to Icon from a Droid Razr Maxx, which used to get me through just about every day. I can tell you that the battery life does stabilize slightly (I am on day 10 with this phone), but it does drain quickly anytime the screen is lit. I have my brightness set to automatic. I did find that changing my Cellular networks to CDMA and LTE from International helped a bit, and I turned off tap + send.

If I am using my phone for more than 25 minutes at a time, I am always getting an alert from Battery (my 3rd party battery life app) that my battery is draining quickly. I have charged my phone twice today and all I did was some light web browsing, texting and words with friends. I have 86% left, which my phone puts at just over 10 hours. Don't trust that estimate!

I highly recommend one or more strategically placed QI chargers, which are wonderful. In addition, I bought a Nokia charging stick, which is a 4" long yellow cylinder with a 3300 mAh battery, for when I am out of the office for a day. It charges the phone completely in just over 3 hours, and it's also good for a quick top up.

In short, I knew the battery seemed undersized when I got this phone, so I knew what I signed up for. But this is definitely a phone to top off whenever you have the opportunity. Quad-core speed and that beautiful screen are too nice to pass up but they do come at a price. Spend a few bucks to gear up with some charging goodies now - you will be glad that you did.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed my battery tends to suck as well. Although, I do listen to Xbox Music for like 30 minutes a day, and I will play an occasional game of Sudoku. I know both are battery-drainers. I also keep my brightness at auto, so maybe it's a tad too bright when it doesn't need to be.

Does anyone know if live tiles affect battery much? And if there's a way to individually turn off some live tiles, but not all?

Other than music and simple board games, I really only use my phone for email, twitter, facebook, etc. and maybe a web page or two each day.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Try going to settings slide over to applications and go to music turn off the cloud and connect Xbox music settings if you're not using them and in games turn off connect to Xbox if u don't play games much that should also help

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

MF-Karma

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
With my old Droid X I would never have GPS on unless I was using nav, with my icon I tend to have location services on because of the cool live tiles and location update features. Did you used to turn off gps on your older phones to preserve battery? If so the location setting is probably the biggest difference.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any battery issues. If you're having problems, dig in and learn how battery consumption works and how you can optimize your battery while still doing what you want to do on your phone.

It's likely that it's user error, honestly.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any battery issues. If you're having problems, dig in and learn how battery consumption works and how you can optimize your battery while still doing what you want to do on your phone.

No. Maybe PP is a heavy user, but in any case this phone does not have spectacular battery life. I am still thinking about returning mine for this reason.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

yeah, turning a phone on and using it... Lots of user error there...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
yeah, turning a phone on and using it... Lots of user error there...

Like I said, read through that post. It'll help you understand what's happening with your phone that you might not be thinking about. Things like what apps are running in the background, what services are being accessed ie searching for wifi, Bluetooth, Xbox, etc.

I'm not trying to blame-shift. I've had a WP for multiple years and I understand the nuances that can get to first time users.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's amazing how almost every phone made has battery issues for the first couple of weeks...isn't it? Batteries need to be broken in. They need several drain and charge cycles to get the best out of them. One of the other big drains on the phone is NFC. Turn it off until you need it. Also turn off the XBox music connection if you don't use it. Set your cellular mode selection to LTE and CDMA to keep it from constantly hand-shaking and bouncing from LTE to Edge or Wi-Fi when you leave LTE coverage spots. My 822 went from being around 50% mid day to being around 70-80%. This same pattern appears on every Windows Phone. Do these things, waiting about a week or so, and see if this doesn't drastically improve. You should also go into settings>applications>background tasks and stop any app you don't need running in the background.

My 822 has an underwhelming battery, and many complained about it when the phone came out, just like the 928 and the Icon. Right now the phone is sitting at 70% after 12 hours with moderate use, draining about 3.3% per hour. When I first got the phone, it tended to drain around 8-12% per hour, which was poor. If you do all of this and it still drains like this, your battery may be bad.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am at 12 hours off charger and still at 81% with light to moderate use. Never had any issue with battery on this phone or my 928 when I had it. I can easily get through a day with heavy use. I have to ask what OP and others were doing all day to drain so quickly.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
If you're a gamer or media junkie, you'll likely need a recharge to make it through the day.

While the battery life is fine for my daily use, I agree they should have put a 2600-3000 mAh battery in this phone just for the power users. They are the type to buy these high end phones.

Wonder if 8.1 will increase battery life or hinder it like we saw with the IOS7 update.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was wondering with the 8.1 update. I would love a icon like device with a 2700 nah battery smh

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking how awesome the battery life is. I used my phone all day with moderate use, then went to a party stayed up till about 4 am (of course social media and texting while at the party), eventually passed out and woke up at 10am with about 30% battery. was incredibly surprised as usually my phone dies on me halfway through the party. (my party schedules are similar every weekend lol)

RobiHeat

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Like I said in my original post, I've already went through the battery saving options and the phone still says Estimated Time Remaining: 12hrs. Which seems grossly underpowered. I understand batteries need to be "broken in" but since acquiring the phone its gone through 8 full discharges and full charges. Admittedly, in my line of work, I need to have constant access to the web, so my Wi-Fi connection gets a workout. My last phone, a Galaxy S3, just barely made it through the day under the same conditions as I'm putting the Icon through. Which over the past year and a half the Galaxy battery was starting to weaken. So I guess the main point of this thread was to see if there were ANY OTHER TECHNIQUES to making the battery last besides what one can find through a simple google search which I have done numerous times in the last few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb