Lumia icon screen will scratch

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
OP, at least now you know. There are few things made by man that can withstand abuse administered by a small child.

I don't yet have children, but I have taken care of many, so I can understand how difficult it is to keep track of all things, all the time. You'll just want to try to be a little more careful next time around. Good luck.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
OP, at least now you know. There are few things made by man that can withstand abuse administered by a small child.

I don't yet have children, but I have taken care of many, so I can understand how difficult it is to keep track of all things, all the time. You'll just want to try to be a little more careful next time around. Good luck.

The worst part of this, is that my previous phone (Galaxy Nexus, which is the worst phone of all time btw), managed to make it over 2 years without a scratch, naked, and 1 week into my Icon, and it gets dragged on the floor by my daughter. To the people who are condescending and just flat out rude on this board - go F yourselves, to those that made recommendations on how to get the hairline scratches out, thank you.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
The worst part of this, is that my previous phone (Galaxy Nexus, which is the worst phone of all time btw), managed to make it over 2 years without a scratch, naked, and 1 week into my Icon, and it gets dragged on the floor by my daughter. To the people who are condescending and just flat out rude on this board - go F yourselves, to those that made recommendations on how to get the hairline scratches out, thank you.

Took my Galaxy Nexus to the beach 2nd day I had it. That screen got FUBAR by the sand.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Just curious--do the hairline scratches affect the actual viewing or performance? I had the same frustration when I scratched my naked L920 early on. I got over it quickly when I realized it was only visible when the screen was off. You may find that you can get past these scratches.

geromep

May 17, 2014
Visit site
The icon does seem to scratch easily. My Droid went naked for two years, not a single scratch. I dropped it across the concrete several times getting out of the car, no scratches. One drop on my hardwood floor and I have scratches. This phone does not have Gorilla Glass

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The icon does seem to scratch easily. My Droid went naked for two years, not a single scratch. I dropped it across the concrete several times getting out of the car, no scratches. One drop on my hardwood floor and I have scratches. This phone does not have Gorilla Glass

Damn those pesky Detailed specifications for the Nokia Lumia Icon,,, Damn them to hell.

Display features: Brightness control, Orientation sensor, Sunlight readability enhancements, Corning? Gorilla? Glass 3, Easy to clean, High brightness mode, Lumia Color profile, Sculpted glass, Wide viewing angle

Nokia Lumia Icon - Specifications - Nokia - USA

BTW, Nothing is perfect. And Physics being what they are, means that, the universe at that particular point in time was totally against you.
I would consider Karma reared it's ugly head.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
My Icon has been flying without a case and without a screen protector since the day it was released. I have ZERO issues, however I don't give it to any kids or slide it across the floor. I use it like a phone. Love it. Great durability. I have the white one and it does not discolor either.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I was wanting to get the white one and was curious as to how well polycarbonite handled dirt and sweat residue.

Yes, it was my biggest fear as well. My thought was to use it until it discolored and then throw the case on... Kind of backwards, but I hate cases. Thus far it has been stellar. I was also worried the logo would wear off but no such issue yet (although it would be fine with me if the Verizon would wear away).

ibkevin

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I see your guys' point that of course it would be badly scratched after a child sliding it across a floor like that, which is true, you're all right about that, but in defense of nasellok, I have to agree with him that the Lumia icon screen does scratch extremely easy! I myself was shocked at how easily my icon screen was scratched. Ok I don't rock a case on it and I usually put a screen saver on pretty quickly, however this time I did not so I realize the fault is my own n take full blame for that. However I'm a tech fan for many years now and a fan of many different platforms and have owned many different devices, just to list a few I've had or have, HTC 8x, iPhone 4 & 5, Galaxy Note 2 & 3, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Surface Pro 2, n my current Lumia Icon. Now don't get me wrong, I love the Icon/930, and Windows phone 8.1 brought me back to windows phone. I'm a big fan, but id be lying to myself and to you if I said that my Lumia icons glass didn't scratch easily. I sh#% you not people, I take pretty damn good care of my devices, and nothing, absolutely NOTHING ever gets put into the pocket I keep my phone in. I don't even put dollars in the same pocket as my phone, let alone any change or anything like it, but yet after only about a week of having my icon I started noticing I was getting these little scratches near the top and bottom of the screen. I was totally puzzled as to why? I even showed my wife n said to her WTF my phone keeps getting these tiny scratches and there's absolutely nothing in my pockets with it ever, huh. Well since they were small n not too too noticeable my plan was to just get a screen protector asap. That was yesterday. Last night my son accidentally knocked my phone from my hand and it fell face down on a fake wood floor and it barely even slid much at all. I honestly wasn't even expecting it to be a big deal cause it was no hard or brutal fall, nothing that should've done much damage if any at all, hell I've dropped a device in the past here n there, we all have at one time or another. Well my icon screen is brutally scratched everywhere top to bottom! I actually can't believe how badly and easily this phone has scratched! Way easier and way worse than any device I've had or dropped in the past. I just filed a claim since I thankfully have insurance but this time my icon is getting a screen protector right out the box! Maybe even a flip case. I love this phone, I do, but I can honestly say I've never had a device with glass that scratched as easily and as bad as my icon. Idk if its something with gorilla glass 3 or what? But in my opinion gorilla glass 2 held up way better and definitely survived much more stress than this.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Did your child get a hold of your galaxy nexus and drag it across the floor like a ski?

AFAIK the curvature of the glass makes it a bit more fragile. More weak points. I don't thnk any other flagship device has a curved glass in any way.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Diamond paste. I get it from Mcmaster-Carr. It works on watch crystals, even sapphire. .5 micron grit. Lots and lots of elbow grease, a dremel with a buffing wheel on very low speed, and patience. Then keep it away from kids. Maybe it will even work afterwards. YMMV.

Or, better yet, replace the screen THEN keep it away from kids. Phones are not child proof.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I have had 3 phones with this Gorilla Glass and not one of them has had a scratch of any type. Yes, I keep it in a pocket with NOTHING ELSE in it and when my girls play a game or watch the "Happy" or "Let it go" for the billionth time , I will be right next to them to watch them with it.

Children can be tricky, Keep a good eye on your phone or always keep one eye on your kids...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720