Lumia icon screen will scratch

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So, I decided to not get a case because I bought the insurance from Microsoft store - well, low and behold, the screen scratches. I have hair line scratches all over my screen - Gorilla Glass my A$$!! My phone must have fell out of my pocket, was on the couch, and my 1 year old got a hold of it, she put it on the wood floor, and decided to use it as a ski for her hand as she crawled - not a good thing. The entire screen is hairline scratched, all over it - WTF. Well, I guess ill try to find a polish or something that can get the scratches out, anyone have any suggestions? If I cant get them out, ill see if I can just get a new one, and put a case on it. That being said, if your going naked with this thing, Gorilla Glass will scratch.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant not scratch proof.

I know this, thank you Captain Obvious - im just saying, it scratches fairly easily. You see all these videos of keys, and nails, and such with no scratching, a small brush against my floor face down, and totally f*&$*#ed

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I know this, thank you Captain Obvious - im just saying, it scratches fairly easily. You see all these videos of keys, and nails, and such with no scratching, a small brush against my floor face down, and totally f*&$*#ed

It was used "as a ski" across a HARDwood floor, and you're surprised that it's scratched? LMFAO Gorilla Glass is still GLASS. It's not made of diamond. If you think that grinding it against a hard surface means it scratches "fairly easily," then all I can say is lower your expectations.

gamblers4

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
So, I decided to not get a case because I bought the insurance from Microsoft store - well, low and behold, the screen scratches. I have hair line scratches all over my screen - Gorilla Glass my A$$!! My phone must have fell out of my pocket, was on the couch, and my 1 year old got a hold of it, she put it on the wood floor, and decided to use it as a ski for her hand as she crawled - not a good thing. The entire screen is hairline scratched, all over it - WTF. Well, I guess ill try to find a polish or something that can get the scratches out, anyone have any suggestions? If I cant get them out, ill see if I can just get a new one, and put a case on it. That being said, if your going naked with this thing, Gorilla Glass will scratch.

Funny! People are amazing. Blame the product for not being able to withheld YOUR child destroying your phone. Why not just take responsibility that you left your phone out for your kid to find and ruin? You're an *****. I hope they don't replace it for you.Why would you let your one year old abuse your phone? You must have seen your 1 yr old do it as you described the situation accurately.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

Apparently you didn't know that if you are surprised your phone is scratched. Any phone screen would be damaged after that.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

a screen protector will make the current scratches less visible, and, well, you know, prevent future scratches too

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
are you sure the glass itself scratched?, it is possible that the oleophobic coating on the glass is what scratched, most high end smartphones use a oleophobic coating to reduce finger smudges and help make the glass feel smooth, it is typically this coating that scratches rather than the glass, as to your point about seeing videos of keys and knives ect not scratching the screen, bear in mind that things like sand will scratch glass much easier that a key or knife, any granular substance like sand,sugar,salt will be much more likely to scratch your phone than a key or coin will, you can purchase oleophobic coatings to coat or repair glass surfaces online, here is a link for amazon

Amazon.com: API The World's First Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic Coating Kit Fusso SmartPhone: Cell Phones & Accessories

good luck, and yes, be more careful in the future :)

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site

No. GG is designed to resist scratching from common items found in your pocket, like keys, coins, edges of money clips, keychains, etc. It's not designed to be dragged along a floor covered in crap people track inside, like sand, which is made up of silica and is hard enough to scratch the glass.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Funny! People are amazing. Blame the product for not being able to withheld YOUR child destroying your phone. Why not just take responsibility that you left your phone out for your kid to find and ruin? You're an *****. I hope they don't replace it for you.Why would you let your one year old abuse your phone? You must have seen your 1 yr old do it as you described the situation accurately.

Yea, your right I forgot - you were there, you know exactly what happened - I gave my phone to my daughter and told her to drag it on the floor. Im going to try using automotive wax, and see if it works, if that doesn't work, ill try the Oleophobic coating someone else recommended, if that doesn't work, ill prob try to get a new one, or just live with it the way it is. That being said - I will be getting a case now.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Do Not use automotive wax!!! This will make the screen almost impossible to slide your fingers over the glass smoothly and will be almost impossible to remove!!!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Phone screens are extremely scratch resistant against keys or screwdrivers or whatever. But small dirt particles can actually be much harder than steel, and will scratch.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

hey, cap'n, it may not obvious to you yet, but it looks like the compass says you're a sailin on the ship o' contradictions headed for the straights o' dramaville in this thread-o-denial.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
When I was at my local Verizon store a few days I was surprised by how scratched up their demo Icon's were. Looks like someone ran them across the floor. They have loads of little spider scratches all over the screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb