04-05-2014 06:16 AM
57 123
tools
    I think glance will be a windows phone 8.1 feature. With the acquisition of Nokia.
    03-05-2014 08:00 AM
    I sure hope it comes. To be honest, Glance in it's current state is pretty "meh" so one can probably live without it. However, it's the potential of what it COULD do that has kept me from replacing my 928.

Watch this video of Active Notifications... yes, it's a gross Android, but to me, it shows the awesome potential of what this type of technology can do. I also have the Moto X and if I'm forced to use Android, this is the only way I would use one....

gmlongo likes this.
    03-05-2014 09:09 AM
    The supposed reason is a memory limitation with the screen... which makes no sense at all.
    yeah wtf, new phones are supposed to be better than old phones so this makes no sense
    WP has a limitation on how much memory background apps can use, Glance is a background app. It takes more processing power and memory to display an image on screen as the resolution increases, so Glance hitting that limit is a possibility. If this is indeed the issue, I can see MS raising the background limit for phones with 2GB of RAM and higher.

Anyway, this is a flagship form factor for Nokia, I'm fairly certain that we'll see another 5" 1080p AMOLED device sometime soon, so I expect Nokia to figure it out.
    03-05-2014 09:43 AM
    WP has a limitation on how much memory background apps can use, Glance is a background app. It takes more processing power and memory to display an image on screen as the resolution increases, so Glance hitting that limit is a possibility. If this is indeed the issue, I can see MS raising the background limit for phones with 2GB of RAM and higher.

Anyway, this is a flagship form factor for Nokia, I'm fairly certain that we'll see another 5" 1080p AMOLED device sometime soon, so I expect Nokia to figure it out.
    Doesn't the 1520 have Glance and that has a 6" 1080P? The only thing is that the 1520 has an IPS display instead of AMOLED.
    03-05-2014 09:49 AM
    I sure hope it comes. To be honest, Glance in it's current state is pretty "meh" so one can probably live without it. However, it's the potential of what it COULD do that has kept me from replacing my 928.

Watch this video of Active Notifications... yes, it's a gross Android, but to me, it shows the awesome potential of what this type of technology can do. I also have the Moto X and if I'm forced to use Android, this is the only way I would use one....
    I have a Moto X, and while it is not a "flagship" level phone, I can tell you the active notification function is one of it's killer functions. If WP got something like this for Icon - I'd be very tempted to jump platforms.
    03-05-2014 09:51 AM
    Different sounds for different alerts, not that hard. I have my phone make a different sound for texts than e-mails. That means I have 3 tiles to watch for, unless you're a person who lets everything have alerts.
    03-05-2014 09:54 AM
    Doesn't the 1520 have Glance and that has a 6" 1080P? The only thing is that the 1520 has an IPS display instead of AMOLED.
    Yup, but the PPI is different. Memory sounds weird, since you'd think the glance background would eat up memory too, regardless of the device. All I know for sure is Nokia has been mum, but the response they gave to Mary Jo Foley when she asked about the lack of Glance was interesting.

Due to certain hardware restrictions, Lumia Icon doesn’t support Glance screen – however, there are many other unique benefits that this device screen provides from support for HD 1080p, virtually glare-free outdoor readability and nearly 180 degree viewing. Certain features in the Lumia Black software are dependent on device hardware and software functionality.
    Odd that they immediately talk up the benefits of the display but make no mention of the camera or 4 microphones.

Still, I'm not sold on Glance causing the delay, Verizon's top priority is the health of their network and glance is a niche feature specific to Nokia. Verizon is really thorough with their testing, and I'm sure there were some issues since this is a unique device for Nokia so testing took a little longer than expected, but I wouldn't be surprised if the delay was around the logistical stuff: having enough units (no VZW store in my area had white ones), training sales and technical staff, prepping marketing materials, sourcing the Pelican boxes for the reviewers, etc.

I just can't see Verizon caring enough about a feature like Glance to hold up the phone. The people calling it a deal breaker are in the minority.

Although, maybe NOKIA asked Verizon for more time to try and get it working before launch.
    primortal likes this.
    03-05-2014 10:21 AM
    Different sounds for different alerts, not that hard. I have my phone make a different sound for texts than e-mails. That means I have 3 tiles to watch for, unless you're a person who lets everything have alerts.
    That's one of the things I miss most moving from a jailbroken iPhone. With Mail Enhancer Pro I had a unified inbox with color coding to indicate which account it's from and the ability to customize alert tones and notifications (or lack thereof) for each account.
    03-05-2014 10:23 AM
    I imagine Verizon waited until recently to release the Icon so it didn't get lost during the launch of the other phones and updates last year? Seeing how now it typically a quiet time in the mobile world, well other than MWC, I can see how it makes sense to wait until February to launch the device.

I certainly don't think Glance is the reason though. They had to have known for a while that the feature wouldn't work.
    03-05-2014 10:25 AM
    Oh, one other thing:

The spokesperson had nothing to say as to when/if the Icon might get Glance support in the future but did add "we're not ruling it out."
    03-05-2014 10:25 AM
    I imagine Verizon waited until recently to release the Icon so it didn't get lost during the launch of the other phones and updates last year?
    It actually would've been best for Verizon if it launched side by side with the 1520. I'm sure they lost customers to AT&T because the Icon wasn't ready.
    LumiaIcon likes this.
    03-05-2014 10:27 AM
    It actually would've been best for Verizon if it launched side by side with the 1520. I'm sure they lost customers to AT&T because the Icon wasn't ready.
    +929
    03-05-2014 03:04 PM
    I have a Moto X, and while it is not a "flagship" level phone, I can tell you the active notification function is one of it's killer functions. If WP got something like this for Icon - I'd be very tempted to jump platforms.
    It really is a killer feature that I stuggle to live without when I've got my SIM in my 928. I'd be on WP full time, except I'm the mobile guy at work and we use Good Mobile Messaging and are working on deploying some of the advance features which are not available on WP so I feel I have to use Android, but my heart is with WP, though to be honest.. I don't HATE iOS or Android... I'm a device gigolo I guess.
    03-05-2014 03:11 PM
    Not so sure about that or if they did lose customers, the amount would have been trivial. I imagine most of the WP fans willing to switch carriers for one phone would also be aware of the Icon and its impending release. I'm one of those types of customers. I would have loved to have the Icon last year, but knowing that it would release some time soon made it easy to write off switching to AT&T for the 1520.
    03-05-2014 03:26 PM
    Not so sure about that or if they did lose customers, the amount would have been trivial.
    They're so close in subscribers now, any customer switching is something they don't want.

The holiday season is the best time to launch a phone or device, competing products be damned.
    03-05-2014 03:39 PM
    Yeah you make a good point. For whatever reason Verizon didn't seem too concerned about it though.
    03-05-2014 03:43 PM
    They're so close in subscribers now, any customer switching is something they don't want.
    I would suspect most people really dislike one company or the other. For me, it would take A LOT to get me to go back to AT&T from VZW. What I saw the most of when Nokia announced the Icon in Facebook was people on T-Mobile begging for it over there..
    03-05-2014 03:48 PM
    I would suspect most people really dislike one company or the other. For me, it would take A LOT to get me to go back to AT&T from VZW. What I saw the most of when Nokia announced the Icon in Facebook was people on T-Mobile begging for it over there..
    Then there are the people who are looking for reasons to switch.
    03-05-2014 03:55 PM

It is "meh", but now that I don't have it. It feels like my phone is missing a huge feature. I am a chef and watches aren't allowed on your wrist, so I keep my phone on station away from food. The less steps I do, the faster I move. The wave gesture over my phone to see if I'm on time with my preparation schedule is gold. Its so simple, but its very necessary for me. I used to think it was crap, but it became a necessity.
    tk-093 likes this.
    03-06-2014 04:06 AM
    Pure speculation here, but my guess is that Nokia tried to fix it and just couldn't - so we shouldn't be expecting Glance support in the future.

How do you feel about Icon if Glance is never available? Do you think the Glance issue delayed the phone, and if so do you still expect the feature to make an appearance?
    I have an early version of the Icon with different firmware from October. Even back then, it never ran Glance.

I announced on twitter at some point in Nov IIRC that it has been pushed back to Q1. It seems more like a marketing decision, since they basically took a timeframe and pushed it ahead 2-3 months on purpose.
    03-06-2014 09:23 AM
    I have an early version of the Icon with different firmware from October. Even back then, it never ran Glance.

I announced on twitter at some point in Nov IIRC that it has been pushed back to Q1. It seems more like a marketing decision, since they basically took a timeframe and pushed it ahead 2-3 months on purpose.
    This is basically what I was thinking. For some reason they thought it would be better to launch the Icon in February than to compete head on with the other devices late last year.
    03-06-2014 09:37 AM

Daniel, Thanks for the insight. Do you think Nokia is still putting any effort into Glance support for the Icon, or will 8.1-style notifications be enough to make this a non-issue?
    03-06-2014 10:17 AM
    Daniel, Thanks for the insight. Do you think Nokia is still putting any effort into Glance support for the Icon, or will 8.1-style notifications be enough to make this a non-issue?
    I haven't heard any updates from this in this regard, but my guess is Nokia wan'ts all their devices on the same page. I mean, Glance on a 1080P OLED screen is probably not a one-off for them, and I imagine they would want to have that supported. But without knowing the exact details of what/why, it's hard to discern.
    03-06-2014 11:33 AM
    With 1080p likely to become the standard for future flagship phones, I wouldn't be surprised if they got it working eventually. I wonder if they will stick with AMOLED or also use LCD randomly like we see with the 1520.
    03-06-2014 11:48 AM
    Daniel,

Curious what your thoughts are on the speculation that Verizon asked to have Glance removed from the Icon. I've even seen this on the Nokia forums. It doesn't make any sense to me that Verizon would care whether or not Glance is on the phone, but you have more experience on the, shall we say, idiosyncrasies of the carrier mentality
    03-06-2014 11:49 AM
57 123