Was Glance the Reason the Icon was "Delayed?"

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Day 11 with my Icon, and I am becoming quite happy with it. The only major frustration I still feel is when my phone chimes for some reason or other and I have to drop what I am doing and head to the start screen and begin scanning tiles to find out why. Hopefully 8.1 will solve that, but as a WP newbie I have been scanning the threads and noticing how many posts there are from folks with 928s and 822s who won't make the move to the Icon without glance support.

After rolling this around in my mind, I was reading a post on cases and I recalled that when I was in the Verizon store they had several different cases for the Icon, and the rep remarked that they never had that many cases available for a phone on launch - even for the Galaxy S4. I remember at the time thinking that that's because everyone was expecting the phone to hit the market a month or more earlier (remember all those "leaked launched dates" that came and went without the phone even being acknowledged by Verizon?).

So I am putting two and two together and speculating that something on the phone was failing testing, thus causing the phone to miss planned launch dates, and that those failures were somehow traced back to the Glance feature. After failing to overcome the issue, Glance was then disabled so the phone could launch. Thus the explanation about "hardware limitations" and the comment that Glance could still be available at a future date.

Pure speculation here, but my guess is that Nokia tried to fix it and just couldn't - so we shouldn't be expecting Glance support in the future.

How do you feel about Icon if Glance is never available? Do you think the Glance issue delayed the phone, and if so do you still expect the feature to make an appearance?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this assumption is too big of a leap. If we never get Glance I'll be a bit disappointed, but so far this is still the best phone I've ever owned so I won't complain too much. Adding Glance would just be icing on the cake.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Unless someone here works for Nokia/MS/Verizon, asking this question is pointless. We're end-users here. We have no idea why the launch was delayed.

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope they can get glance working. If they get it working, I will almost certainly go switch to the Edge plan and get it that day.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Lack of glance must be a technical problem. It wouldn't make sense for low end phones like the 620 to get it but a flagship not get it in any other situation.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It has to be the amoled screen, but it doesn't make any sense since I've been using "glance" on amoled screens since 2010 (nokia n8)

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I expect Nokia to fix it sooner or later, I mean what could be the hardware limitations they are talking about?? I refuse to think this is permanent

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It took me a few days to get used to it, but I don't mind that it's gone. Hopefully they'll bring it back but recent reports of some people experiencing screen burn makes me hesitant to try the feature again.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Since the icon is my first WP, I don't know what I'm missing. It sounds cool and convenient, but I'm ok without it as the rest of the phone features and functions more than make up for it.
​For those who would really like to have it then I hope you get it in an update perhaps.

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a 928 to the Icon, I DO miss the glance, but I'll get over it. Would be nice to not have to check the phone every few to see if I have messages. And I swear I wish we could set the default volume to something higher on reboot. This thing isn't nearly as loud as my 928 at max volume.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It took me a few days to get used to it, but I don't mind that it's gone. Hopefully they'll bring it back but recent reports of some people experiencing screen burn makes me hesitant to try the feature again.

Could screen burn really be the issue? I never had the feature, but I thought I had read that the image drifted.
I have to admit I am worried about the lack of a good system clock for this phone because of screen burn. Everything I have found in the app store resembles an 80s-style LED display. I like the big numbers but some segments will be illuminated for hours every night. On my last android phone the system clock drifted as a screensaver.

Can anyone recommend a nighttime clock display that won't burn my screen?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been using lumina clock deluxe and leave it on all night on dim. Been doing this for the past ten days or so. I this is the first I've heard about screen burn, but have noticed nothing. I'll continue using it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Day 11 with my Icon, and I am becoming quite happy with it. The only major frustration I still feel is when my phone chimes for some reason or other and I have to drop what I am doing and head to the start screen and begin scanning tiles to find out why. Hopefully 8.1 will solve that, but as a WP newbie I have been scanning the threads and noticing how many posts there are from folks with 928s and 822s who won't make the move to the Icon without glance support.

After rolling this around in my mind, I was reading a post on cases and I recalled that when I was in the Verizon store they had several different cases for the Icon, and the rep remarked that they never had that many cases available for a phone on launch - even for the Galaxy S4. I remember at the time thinking that that's because everyone was expecting the phone to hit the market a month or more earlier (remember all those "leaked launched dates" that came and went without the phone even being acknowledged by Verizon?).

So I am putting two and two together and speculating that something on the phone was failing testing, thus causing the phone to miss planned launch dates, and that those failures were somehow traced back to the Glance feature. After failing to overcome the issue, Glance was then disabled so the phone could launch. Thus the explanation about "hardware limitations" and the comment that Glance could still be available at a future date.

Pure speculation here, but my guess is that Nokia tried to fix it and just couldn't - so we shouldn't be expecting Glance support in the future.

How do you feel about Icon if Glance is never available? Do you think the Glance issue delayed the phone, and if so do you still expect the feature to make an appearance?

Yes, it is pure speculation. The Icon was only delayed if you buy the position that rumor mill knows release dates. As it stands, the phone was released when VZW said it would be released. Suggesting you are putting two and two together also assumes you have an operational knowledge of VZW decision making. Sorry, unless you work for VZW, you don't have that baseline information. People can speculate all they wish but you are speculating on the basis of assumptions tied to unsubstantiated rumors put forth by people who like to see their name in print.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte