03-07-2014 12:18 PM
35 12
tools
    For example: In Here Drive (the free Nokia navigation app), I pin a live tile for each destination I want on the start screen and boom there I go. No having to open the app then choose where I want to go from a favorite list. Same with radio stations in Tune In radio, etc. In short, the cool thing is the ability to pin items from within the apps. I am sure others have better examples.
    Going a step further, pinning destinations from the commute function permits the tiles to give you an estimated time to destination, factoring in traffic. Its really helpful for knowing when to leave for work or an arrival time dependent activity (like a movie).
    teebomus likes this.
    03-05-2014 12:46 PM
    Currently, I have a Lumia 520 and a Nexus 5 running the latest Android 4.4.2. I had an iPhone 3G, and my wife has a 4, which I play with on occasion, so I'm familiar with the 3 OS's.

If you have a MSN, Hotmail or Outlook email address, I think it should push messages right away without manually having to refresh. I have a hotmail account, and messages are pushed immediately. Also, I have a work exchange account, which also pushes immediately. However, my gmail account does not. It's not a big deal for me, maybe for others.

It is easier on Android to swipe away messages to delete them. As far as deleting email on WP8, rather than long pressing the message, I hit the "list" icon on the bottom of the screen, select (check) the message(s) I want to delete and then tap the trash can icon.

Overall, though, the email clients on either Windows Phone 8 and Android 4.4.2 are comparable in ease of use, in my experience and opinion. Android is prettier to me, but again, the functionality is similar. One advantage I like about Android is I can attach files either stored locally, or from my various cloud accounts (Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc.). Windows Phone 8 email client can attach files from One Drive, or at least send the link.

I do agree that some apps do not measure up to the Android or iOS counterpart. For example, with Skype, I cannot attach a file or pic to my message on WP8, but can on Android. MS, WTF? I hope this is fixed in a future update. Skype is a MS product FFS. It should better on WP8 than other platforms.
    03-05-2014 01:27 PM
    I hit the "list" icon on the bottom of the screen, select (check) the message(s) I want to delete and then tap the trash can icon.
    You can also just tap to the very left of any message and it will automatically switch to list selection mode.
    Shawn Magm likes this.
    03-05-2014 02:04 PM
    Okay, got my Icon today. Don't have a ton of time to mess with it, have an exam to study for tomorrow. First impressions are mixed
    Pros: Beautiful phone
    Phone feels solid
    Screen size/quality is better than good
    You can delete programs that would normally not be deletable on an iphone (bloatware and such)
    Customizable tiles are good, not great, but good

Cons: It's a pain in the arse to navigate.
    Having to press, hold, and then delete an email/message/etc is really a pain
    Having to go into my mailbox and hit refresh to get new messages is no fun at all
    Not the phone's fault, but getting it activated took way too long
    Still not receiving all my text messages I should be getting....not sure what that's about
    While most of the apps I use are available, some are less functional than their apple counterpart

Overall - not feeling this phone so much. It is a gorgeous phone, but my gut instinct is that I'm going to exchange it for something else. I'm going to give it a day or so before I make my final decision.
    you should take a tutorial on how to use windows phone as it is fairly clear you are new to the os. You may want to go into settings and customize text messages, emails ECT to fit your needs.
    03-05-2014 02:22 PM
    Okay folks, please read beyond the first post on this thread before responding.
    03-05-2014 02:39 PM
    It is easier on Android to swipe away messages to delete them. As far as deleting email on WP8, rather than long pressing the message, I hit the "list" icon on the bottom of the screen, select (check) the message(s) I want to delete and then tap the trash can icon.
    Not sure how many know this, but you can also just tab on the left side of an email and it will automatically check it. There is no real need to hit the list icon.
    edit: beaten

Also agree about MS fumbling with Skype on WP. Hopefully with 8.1, there is better integration and features. I know we're supposed to be able to attach items to emails with 8.1.

Okay folks, please read beyond the first post on this thread before responding.
    It may be a good idea to edit your original post with your latest one so that people will know where you currently stand.

Happy you're giving the phone more of a shot though. Never thought you were a fanboy, apple does make quality products. Hopefully you move past the growing pains of having a new phone and learn to love it like some of us here.
    Last edited by Kage Maru; 03-05-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    03-05-2014 02:51 PM
    You can also just tap to the very left of any message and it will automatically switch to list selection mode.
    Thanks for the tip. I never knew that. I learned something new.
    03-05-2014 04:56 PM
    Great tip on the commute function. OP, you seem quite objective ,not a fanboy. I'm sure you'll decide what suits you and your needs.
    03-05-2014 09:13 PM
    SIMPLY, Windows 8 is the only OS my spouse with Alzheimer's can deal with
    03-06-2014 06:54 PM
    SIMPLY, Windows 8 is the only OS my spouse with Alzheimer's can deal with
    I have a similar situation with my aunt. She seems to have taken to Metro on both the Surface and her 8X very well and is able to remember it. The unfortunate thing is that she moved to my place to help me care for my father, who has Alzheimer's. And I'm convinced she is in early stages as well now. I have no idea what to do about it.
    03-07-2014 12:18 PM
35 12