First Disappointment (lack of bluetooth Aptx codec support)

MF-Karma

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have loved my Icon so far, it has been perfectly stable and has taken great pictures. However, it has now irritated me for the first time. I was looking into getting some Bluetooth headphones for the office and the Icon does not support the aptx codec for Bluetooth. I think the flagship phones for HTC, Sony, Motorola, and Samsung all support it. I really can't believe they advertise this phone for media recording and playback and don't support the best Bluetooth audio. Nokia's Bluetooth headphones support aptx. Very surprised.

js8229

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd suspect it's just lacking in software, and could be included in 8.1. I don't think there's a hardware component responsible for aptx support.

MF-Karma

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Bluetooth audio is highly compressed. Aptx has several compression levels but I believe all of them are better than standard Bluetooth protocols and Aptx can also do lossless over Bluetooth "supposedly". Wireless headphones are great for working out or at the office. Once you've tried them you probably wouldn't want to go back to wired but audio quality is a consideration.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Bluetooth audio is highly compressed. Aptx has several compression levels but I believe all of them are better than standard Bluetooth protocols and Aptx can also do lossless over Bluetooth "supposedly". Wireless headphones are great for working out or at the office. Once you've tried them you probably wouldn't want to go back to wired but audio quality is a consideration.

It seems APT-X is more like ZIP compression than MP3 like compression, meaning it rebuilds the audio source in the headphones before playing the audio so you don't lose any of the frequency range. That kind of compression is the only way to transfer compressed audio and still call it lossless.

I use bluetooth for audio whenever I'm driving, so I'm all for the best possible quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa