01-21-2016 04:32 PM
54 123
tools
    Anyone find a decent car mount that doesn't mash the power, camera or volume buttons? I've tried a couple that I had laying around the house and all of them hit at least one button.

For reference, I am using a ProClip vehicle mount along with an adapter that lets me use anything that has the same size ball as a garmin. The ProClip adjustable mount doesn't work either...

Thanks in advance!
    I use Nokia's car mount. The grip hits the camera button, but it has NFC built for the car dock app, and wireless charging.
    03-12-2014 02:41 AM
    CR-200 works but pushes on camera button, you can exacto knife out some material to make it work better...

I just live with it opening camera every once in a while
    I use Nokia's car mount. The grip hits the camera button, but it has NFC built for the car dock app, and wireless charging.
    What if you keep the phone it it's side? Will the camera button still get pushed?
    03-12-2014 08:46 AM
    Wherever you put your mount consider where the airbags deploy. You do not want your phone flying at you at that rate.
    msft_tinkering and Starrbuck like this.
    03-12-2014 03:24 PM
    If you don't need charging built in, I got an Arkon that works well - Amazon.com : Arkon ARKSM614 Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Samsung Galaxy S4, Mega Note 3, Apple iPhone 5, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7 : Vehicle Audio Car Mounts : Electronics

The legs are at the top and bottom so there's no mashing or obstruction of the side buttons. The legs are adjustable and the fit is good, even with a case (I use the Incipio Dual Pro). Good suction cup, mount feels sturdy and tight, and not much vibration. Price is right, too, so a good option for a non charging mount.

And to update what I posted earlier about an iOttie (Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4/Note/Note 2 - Retail Packaging - Black (HLCRIO101): Cell Phones & Accessories). I went with it first and it technically works but it's very tough to not mash the buttons. I needed to use a case and position it just right, especially to avoid the power button, and even then, it wasn't a sure thing. I thought I had it figured out but then it rebooted while I was using Here Drive, which isn't good. Plus if you reboot while Here Drive is running, the next time you open Here Drive, it behaves like the first time. Pick voice, set up a commute, etc. Anyway, the iOttie also vibrated a lot and that became annoying. Can't recommend it.
    Last edited by spicypadthai; 03-13-2014 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar fixes...
    03-13-2014 07:38 AM
    What if you keep the phone it it's side? Will the camera button still get pushed?
    dock doesn't open wide enough to mount the phone sideways
    03-14-2014 06:18 PM
    dock doesn't open wide enough to mount the phone sideways
    It also wouldn't be positioned correctly to charge.
    03-18-2014 02:05 AM
    You sure about that? Mine charges fine in the desktop charger(DT-910) which was designed for the same phones as the car charger.
    03-18-2014 06:41 AM
    CR-200 works but pushes on camera button, you can exacto knife out some material to make it work better...

I just live with it opening camera every once in a while
    Could one of you possibly post pictures of your mount in action? I'm curious to see how the Icon fits in it?

How does it feel? Does it feel pretty solidly held in there? I also see a lot of reports on Amazon of the mount breaking. Any feedback from you guys on that? http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-CR-200-W...pUvbUpU2405480

Edit: As a side note, if you do have this charger, you can go to settings -> applications -> photos+camera -> prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked & press and hold camera button to wake up the phone. That might help with accidental camera openings.
    Last edited by Indistinguishable; 03-18-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    03-18-2014 08:29 AM
    Could one of you possibly post pictures of your mount in action? I'm curious to see how the Icon fits in it?

How does it feel? Does it feel pretty solidly held in there? I also see a lot of reports on Amazon of the mount breaking. Any feedback from you guys on that? Amazon.com: Wireless Car Charger CR-200: Cell Phones & Accessories

Edit: As a side note, if you do have this charger, you can go to settings -> applications -> photos+camera -> prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked & press and hold camera button to wake up the phone. That might help with accidental camera openings.
    Here you go. I also included a pic of the slight mod to the upper/right arm of the mount. It doesn't affect the grip of the phone. As for gripping the dash; the suction cup has a coating that helps it stay on textured dash.

As for the settings tweak, it doesn't help, the phone has be unlocked for the driving mode app to work.
    Attached Thumbnails timsurfacepro-win_20140318_075539.jpg   timsurfacepro-win_20140318_075550.jpg   wp_20140318_07_56_14_raw.jpg  
    03-18-2014 01:06 PM
    Got it... Love it.
    03-18-2014 04:33 PM
    The biggest problem with the Nokia, is that it was designed for smaller (shorter) phones. If they would have lengthened it by about a 1/4 inch it would fit a wider variety of their phones.

The Jumbi does look nice, but it doesn't have built in NFC that brings up the car dock app; which for me is something I use everyday during my commute.
    03-18-2014 04:58 PM
    At the risk of threadjacking, does anyone find that the phone is impossible to keep charged while doing navigation? Even when plugged in I'm getting a 5-10% drain per hour. My old phone at least used to not lose any battery while doing navigation and plugged in.
    03-18-2014 05:30 PM
    At the risk of threadjacking, does anyone find that the phone is impossible to keep charged while doing navigation? Even when plugged in I'm getting a 5-10% drain per hour. My old phone at least used to not lose any battery while doing navigation and plugged in.
    Nope. Are you charging via wireless or USB? If it's USB, not all car chargers are created equal. Check the wattage of the charger. Most budget chargers are rated at 500mA. Most smartphones need at least 1A to charge while using navigation.

Also, what navigation app so you use? Nokia's Here+ allows you to download maps and use them offline, which significantly reduces power drain.
    03-18-2014 05:40 PM
    Got it... Love it.
    Does it block access to the power button? That's my main concern.
    03-19-2014 07:31 AM
    Good to hear, thanks. It is USB, and this charger has a second port for an extra device so maybe that is the problem. Will check the amperage too. Am using HERE;may switch to offline thanks for the suggestion!
    03-19-2014 08:00 AM
    Does it block access to the power button? That's my main concern.
    No. Power button sits just a hair above the clip and works fine.
    03-19-2014 09:54 AM
    Mind posting a review and maybe some pictures?
    03-19-2014 10:02 AM
    To be clear the clip on the bottom is adjustable, if you want it to sit higher you raise it to expose the button. In my setup that's not feasible.

As to navigation discharge, I have noticed that too. The charger was able to keep up with my 8X, but the much larger screen, the fact that its AMOLED and uses light colors, it just consumes more than the charger can provide.
    03-19-2014 01:00 PM
    To be clear the clip on the bottom is adjustable, if you want it to sit higher you raise it to expose the button. In my setup that's not feasible.

As to navigation discharge, I have noticed that too. The charger was able to keep up with my 8X, but the much larger screen, the fact that its AMOLED and uses light colors, it just consumes more than the charger can provide.
    Same here.
    03-20-2014 08:47 PM
    Same here.
    Ok so I think I found a "fix." I was using one of those 2-prong car charges which has the main charger and then a USB port for a second device. Today I picked up a "high speed" charger from Motorola (Amazon.com: Motorola Vehicle Power Adapter micro-USB Rapid Rate Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories) and now the phone holds a charge while doing navigation. I tried it for two stints of a half hour apiece, one of which where I was on the phone the whole time.

Whew!
    03-25-2014 06:15 PM
    I used Hapurs U-grip Windshield Dashboard Universal Car Mount
    6.39$ is a very good price with Fulfilled by Amazon
    61battqtm4l._sl1500_.jpg
    71x4yyhgtnl._sl1500_.jpg
    05-12-2014 01:54 AM
    Yes the Nokia wireless car charger, the newer version that supports the 1520, it is amazing
    05-12-2014 12:25 PM
    Yes the Nokia wireless car charger, the newer version that supports the 1520, it is amazing
    1.) Where did you get it.

2.) Are you using it with your Icon?

3.) Does it block any buttons?

4.) Can you take a picture?
    05-12-2014 01:25 PM
    I've been using this for a few years now. I love this thing. I also have the tablet version. Cool thing is, the tablet version can be used for your phone in house as well. Bonus: It stick to anything metal and I use it all the time.

Steelie Car Mount Kit
    05-12-2014 01:48 PM

1.) Where did you get it.
    Microsoft Store. I didn't see it at my local Verizon Store.

2.) Are you using it with your Icon?
    No. I have the old one. But it works fine with my Icon. I modified the right (top when landscape) arm, by cutting away some of the rubber. Not sure about the new version. See next answer.

3.) Does it block any buttons?
    Not sure. However, the side of the box has a guide to show where the arms clamp, so you can see if your phone will fit.

4.) Can you take a picture?
    Yes.

The pic shows an Icon in it.

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/accessori...dDevicesWidget
    05-13-2014 01:19 PM
54 123