Car Mount

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone find a decent car mount that doesn't mash the power, camera or volume buttons? I've tried a couple that I had laying around the house and all of them hit at least one button.

For reference, I am using a ProClip vehicle mount along with an adapter that lets me use anything that has the same size ball as a garmin. The ProClip adjustable mount doesn't work either...

Thanks in advance!

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I use a 5$ car mount that you can find at most convenience stores. I can't remember the name but it's the same one that you see on infomercials. Its the one with the sticky surface. It works as advertised.

Why I like it, is because all you see is your phone. Nothing in the way to mash buttons and its adjustable. The downside is that it needs full contact. So cases with multiple holes for design and surfaces that are not even or a surface like the HTC 8x comes off.

I use a NL925 and this combo works extremely well for $5. Best deal so far.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site

If there was something like that, but attached to the car vent rather than a surface, it'd be perfect.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You get the one for the GS4?

I got the one I linked, originally for my HTC 8X (Verizon version with Qi). I think that they are all the same mount, the arms are all widely adjustable both in the up and down(so you can align the coils) and out on the sides. The one I got would handle the 1520 or Note 3 easily, and handled both the 8X and my Icon.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

If/When we get double tap to wake, that'll work perfectly. How's the charging on it?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I use a Kenu Airframe airvent mount which is small, sturdy and secure. Grips between camera and power buttons with plenty of room to spare on my 820. It is particularly handy if you drive lots of different vehicles as I do, taking up little room in a pocket or bag:-

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount - Retail Packaging - Black/Grey: Cell Phones & Accessories

I have a Trailblazer combined stand and charger permanently plugged into my car. That does block the buttons a bit (but are still usable) and I have it resting on the centre console of the car as I don't trust the power plug come fixing to to hold it securely on its own

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/trailblazer-universal-car-charger-and-holder-p22954.htm

Last edited:

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I use a Kenu Airframe airvent mount which is small, sturdy and secure. Grips between camera and power buttons with plenty of room to spare on my 820. It is particularly handy if you drive lots of different vehicles as I do, taking up little room in a pocket or bag:-

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount - Retail Packaging - Black/Grey: Cell Phones & Accessories

I have a Trailblazer combined stand and charger permanently plugged into my car. That does block the buttons a bit (but are still usable) and I have it resting on the centre console of the car as I don't trust the power plug come fixing to to hold it securely on its own

TrailBlazer Universal Car Charger and Holder

This looks perfect for me. I'm going to try it out. Thanks!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

TrailBlazer Universal Car Charger and Holder

I'd consider it if it had Qi built in. I'm looking for something that can charge simultaneously. With that, I wouldn't even be able to plug in to charge via Micro USB.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd consider it if it had Qi built in. I'm looking for something that can charge simultaneously. With that, I wouldn't even be able to plug in to charge via Micro USB.

I prefer charging via MicroUSB while in my car since it charges faster.

Why wouldn't you be able plug in a MicroUSB cable into your phone using that holder? Is your USB adapter/port far away from any vent?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
The Trailblazer comes with a captive lead which can plug into the USB socket of the phone to charge and has a separate USB socket to power / charge another device at the same time.

The Kenu does need you to carry a separate USB car charger lead which admittedly is useful for sat-navving but not really needed for music playback for example.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I went with this Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4/3/2 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've only used it a couple times and the jury is still out but the phone vibrates a lot in the cradle. That's with the Incipio Dual Pro case still on so I want to try it without either the outer case or both to see if it's better. Other than that, it works. And the suction cup is almost too strong. It's tough to remove from the windshield if you want to change the placement.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If/When we get double tap to wake, that'll work perfectly. How's the charging on it?

Seems to charge just fine. Light goes from blue to red when its full, and then back to blue when it tops off again. I have not found it to keep up completely with the discharge when running Here Drive, I'm guessing that is due to the larger display since it was able to keep up with my 8X. That said, I'd have to drive many hours straight to actually run it dead that way, it only loses a little bit per hour.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Seems to charge just fine. Light goes from blue to red when its full, and then back to blue when it tops off again. I have not found it to keep up completely with the discharge when running Here Drive, I'm guessing that is due to the larger display since it was able to keep up with my 8X. That said, I'd have to drive many hours straight to actually run it dead that way, it only loses a little bit per hour.

Nice. I'd get one but the design is a bit too girly for me.

:winktongue:

Garrymp

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I got an Arkon Mobile Grip 2. It squeezes the Icon right between the power key and the camera key. Not too obtrusive. Arkon has another model that will squeeze the phone long ways without covering the jacks. Of course both mounts swivel around to any position you like. The thing about Arkon is you can choose various mounting attachments like cup holder mounts, suction cups, dashboard, vent, goose necks and then you mount the dock on whatever you like. I got a custom bracket from them that installed into the instrument cluster on my Explorer and the dock looks like it belongs there. I had to remove some dashboard trim perform a minor mod but it was worth it. Check them out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss