Car Mount

WScottCross

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Does the Nokia Qi charging mount not work well with the ICON?
It works, but it doesn't work well, IMO. It is a bit small for the Icon and ends up holding the phone pretty low and, even worse, presses on the camera button, so you end with lots of pictures of the back end of cars. It also gets VERY hot with extended use, especially when using Nokia Drive+ (and probably any other GPS app).

I love the look of the Nokia Qi dock but I wish it was compatible with one of the Proclip car mounts.

I ended up ordering a Proclip mount that clips on the A-pillar and the adjustable Proclip holder for the 928. I still didn't like that it pressed on the camera button. I ended up Frankenmodding it to incorporate a Nokia DT-900 desktop charging plate. I cut up the adjustable 928 holder and am using it to hold the phone in Landscape orientation. I epoxied the pieces to the DT-900 and I left about 1/4" space between the phone and charging plate to help reduce heat buildup and it ends up right above the vent in my car so I can get good air flow between the phone and the plate. Overall, very happy with my custom setup.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It works, but it doesn't work well, IMO. It is a bit small for the Icon and ends up holding the phone pretty low and, even worse, presses on the camera button, so you end with lots of pictures of the back end of cars. It also gets VERY hot with extended use, especially when using Nokia Drive+ (and probably any other GPS app).

I ended up ordering a Proclip mount that clips on the A-pillar and the adjustable Proclip holder for the 928. I still didn't like that it pressed on the camera button. I ended up Frankenmodding it to incorporate a Nokia DT-900 desktop charging plate. I cut up the adjustable 928 holder and am using it to hold the phone in Landscape orientation. I epoxied the pieces to the DT-900 and I left about 1/4" space between the phone and charging plate to help reduce heat buildup and it ends up right above the vent in my car so I can get good air flow between the phone and the plate. Overall, very happy with my custom setup.

Pictures?

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a smaller Qi disk that connects with micro-USB. I might have to break out the dremmel and epoxy. Thanks for the inspiration!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyone find a decent car mount that doesn't mash the power, camera or volume buttons? I've tried a couple that I had laying around the house and all of them hit at least one button.

For reference, I am using a ProClip vehicle mount along with an adapter that lets me use anything that has the same size ball as a garmin. The ProClip adjustable mount doesn't work either...

Thanks in advance!

I use Nokia's car mount. The grip hits the camera button, but it has NFC built for the car dock app, and wireless charging.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
CR-200 works but pushes on camera button, you can exacto knife out some material to make it work better...

I just live with it opening camera every once in a while

I use Nokia's car mount. The grip hits the camera button, but it has NFC built for the car dock app, and wireless charging.

What if you keep the phone it it's side? Will the camera button still get pushed?

lafn

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Wherever you put your mount consider where the airbags deploy. You do not want your phone flying at you at that rate.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
If you don't need charging built in, I got an Arkon that works well - Amazon.com : Arkon ARKSM614 Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Samsung Galaxy S4, Mega Note 3, Apple iPhone 5, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7 : Vehicle Audio Car Mounts : Electronics

The legs are at the top and bottom so there's no mashing or obstruction of the side buttons. The legs are adjustable and the fit is good, even with a case (I use the Incipio Dual Pro). Good suction cup, mount feels sturdy and tight, and not much vibration. Price is right, too, so a good option for a non charging mount.

And to update what I posted earlier about an iOttie (Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4/Note/Note 2 - Retail Packaging - Black (HLCRIO101): Cell Phones & Accessories). I went with it first and it technically works but it's very tough to not mash the buttons. I needed to use a case and position it just right, especially to avoid the power button, and even then, it wasn't a sure thing. I thought I had it figured out but then it rebooted while I was using Here Drive, which isn't good. Plus if you reboot while Here Drive is running, the next time you open Here Drive, it behaves like the first time. Pick voice, set up a commute, etc. Anyway, the iOttie also vibrated a lot and that became annoying. Can't recommend it.

Last edited:

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You sure about that? Mine charges fine in the desktop charger(DT-910) which was designed for the same phones as the car charger.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
CR-200 works but pushes on camera button, you can exacto knife out some material to make it work better...

I just live with it opening camera every once in a while

Could one of you possibly post pictures of your mount in action? I'm curious to see how the Icon fits in it?

How does it feel? Does it feel pretty solidly held in there? I also see a lot of reports on Amazon of the mount breaking. Any feedback from you guys on that? http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-CR-200-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2405480

Edit: As a side note, if you do have this charger, you can go to settings -> applications -> photos+camera -> prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked & press and hold camera button to wake up the phone. That might help with accidental camera openings.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Could one of you possibly post pictures of your mount in action? I'm curious to see how the Icon fits in it?

How does it feel? Does it feel pretty solidly held in there? I also see a lot of reports on Amazon of the mount breaking. Any feedback from you guys on that? Amazon.com: Wireless Car Charger CR-200: Cell Phones & Accessories

Edit: As a side note, if you do have this charger, you can go to settings -> applications -> photos+camera -> prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked & press and hold camera button to wake up the phone. That might help with accidental camera openings.

Here you go. I also included a pic of the slight mod to the upper/right arm of the mount. It doesn't affect the grip of the phone. As for gripping the dash; the suction cup has a coating that helps it stay on textured dash.

As for the settings tweak, it doesn't help, the phone has be unlocked for the driving mode app to work.

Attachments

• TIMSURFACEPRO - WIN_20140318_075539.JPG
    TIMSURFACEPRO - WIN_20140318_075539.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 2
  • TIMSURFACEPRO - WIN_20140318_075550.JPG
    TIMSURFACEPRO - WIN_20140318_075550.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 2
  • WP_20140318_07_56_14_Raw.jpg
    WP_20140318_07_56_14_Raw.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The biggest problem with the Nokia, is that it was designed for smaller (shorter) phones. If they would have lengthened it by about a 1/4 inch it would fit a wider variety of their phones.

The Jumbi does look nice, but it doesn't have built in NFC that brings up the car dock app; which for me is something I use everyday during my commute.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
At the risk of threadjacking, does anyone find that the phone is impossible to keep charged while doing navigation? Even when plugged in I'm getting a 5-10% drain per hour. My old phone at least used to not lose any battery while doing navigation and plugged in.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
At the risk of threadjacking, does anyone find that the phone is impossible to keep charged while doing navigation? Even when plugged in I'm getting a 5-10% drain per hour. My old phone at least used to not lose any battery while doing navigation and plugged in.

Nope. Are you charging via wireless or USB? If it's USB, not all car chargers are created equal. Check the wattage of the charger. Most budget chargers are rated at 500mA. Most smartphones need at least 1A to charge while using navigation.

Also, what navigation app so you use? Nokia's Here+ allows you to download maps and use them offline, which significantly reduces power drain.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear, thanks. It is USB, and this charger has a second port for an extra device so maybe that is the problem. Will check the amperage too. Am using HERE;may switch to offline thanks for the suggestion!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb