The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-21-2016 04:32 PM
54 123
tools
    Anyone find a decent car mount that doesn't mash the power, camera or volume buttons? I've tried a couple that I had laying around the house and all of them hit at least one button.

For reference, I am using a ProClip vehicle mount along with an adapter that lets me use anything that has the same size ball as a garmin. The ProClip adjustable mount doesn't work either...

Thanks in advance!
    03-05-2014 05:38 PM
    I use a 5$ car mount that you can find at most convenience stores. I can't remember the name but it's the same one that you see on infomercials. Its the one with the sticky surface. It works as advertised.

Why I like it, is because all you see is your phone. Nothing in the way to mash buttons and its adjustable. The downside is that it needs full contact. So cases with multiple holes for design and surfaces that are not even or a surface like the HTC 8x comes off.

I use a NL925 and this combo works extremely well for $5. Best deal so far.
    03-05-2014 05:49 PM
    03-05-2014 05:49 PM
    You get the one for the GS4?
    03-05-2014 07:21 PM
    http://www.amazon.com/Robust-Samsung...pUvbUpU2389301

This one looks like the clamps that go around the sides are rounded enough to where they don't press the buttons, but without putting my hands on it, it's too hard to tell.
    03-05-2014 08:44 PM
    Amazon.com: High Grade Robust Dash Stand Holder for Nokia Lumia 521, 920, 925, 928, 929 and 1020 , Apple iphone 4S, 5C, 5S, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Moto X, Razr MAXX and More with Windshield Rotating Cradle Car Mount (For Use with Sk

This one looks like the clamps that go around the sides are rounded enough to where they don't press the buttons, but without putting my hands on it, it's too hard to tell.
    If there was something like that, but attached to the car vent rather than a surface, it'd be perfect.
    03-05-2014 09:46 PM
    You get the one for the GS4?
    I got the one I linked, originally for my HTC 8X (Verizon version with Qi). I think that they are all the same mount, the arms are all widely adjustable both in the up and down(so you can align the coils) and out on the sides. The one I got would handle the 1520 or Note 3 easily, and handled both the 8X and my Icon.
    03-05-2014 10:27 PM
    If/When we get double tap to wake, that'll work perfectly. How's the charging on it?
    03-05-2014 11:18 PM
    I use a Kenu Airframe airvent mount which is small, sturdy and secure. Grips between camera and power buttons with plenty of room to spare on my 820. It is particularly handy if you drive lots of different vehicles as I do, taking up little room in a pocket or bag:-

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount - Retail Packaging - Black/Grey: Cell Phones & Accessories

I have a Trailblazer combined stand and charger permanently plugged into my car. That does block the buttons a bit (but are still usable) and I have it resting on the centre console of the car as I don't trust the power plug come fixing to to hold it securely on its own

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/trailblaz...der-p22954.htm
    Last edited by gomezz; 03-06-2014 at 03:08 AM.
    Zippier and california86 like this.
    03-06-2014 02:57 AM
    I use a Kenu Airframe airvent mount which is small, sturdy and secure. Grips between camera and power buttons with plenty of room to spare on my 820. It is particularly handy if you drive lots of different vehicles as I do, taking up little room in a pocket or bag:-

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe Portable Car Mount - Retail Packaging - Black/Grey: Cell Phones & Accessories

I have a Trailblazer combined stand and charger permanently plugged into my car. That does block the buttons a bit (but are still usable) and I have it resting on the centre console of the car as I don't trust the power plug come fixing to to hold it securely on its own

TrailBlazer Universal Car Charger and Holder
    This looks perfect for me. I'm going to try it out. Thanks!
    03-06-2014 07:33 AM

TrailBlazer Universal Car Charger and Holder
    I'd consider it if it had Qi built in. I'm looking for something that can charge simultaneously. With that, I wouldn't even be able to plug in to charge via Micro USB.
    03-06-2014 08:07 AM
    I'd consider it if it had Qi built in. I'm looking for something that can charge simultaneously. With that, I wouldn't even be able to plug in to charge via Micro USB.
    I prefer charging via MicroUSB while in my car since it charges faster.

Why wouldn't you be able plug in a MicroUSB cable into your phone using that holder? Is your USB adapter/port far away from any vent?
    03-06-2014 08:38 AM
    The Trailblazer comes with a captive lead which can plug into the USB socket of the phone to charge and has a separate USB socket to power / charge another device at the same time.

The Kenu does need you to carry a separate USB car charger lead which admittedly is useful for sat-navving but not really needed for music playback for example.
    03-06-2014 12:00 PM
    I went with this Amazon.com: iOttie One Touch XL Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for Galaxy S4/3/2 - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've only used it a couple times and the jury is still out but the phone vibrates a lot in the cradle. That's with the Incipio Dual Pro case still on so I want to try it without either the outer case or both to see if it's better. Other than that, it works. And the suction cup is almost too strong. It's tough to remove from the windshield if you want to change the placement.
    03-06-2014 12:02 PM
    If/When we get double tap to wake, that'll work perfectly. How's the charging on it?
    Seems to charge just fine. Light goes from blue to red when its full, and then back to blue when it tops off again. I have not found it to keep up completely with the discharge when running Here Drive, I'm guessing that is due to the larger display since it was able to keep up with my 8X. That said, I'd have to drive many hours straight to actually run it dead that way, it only loses a little bit per hour.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    03-06-2014 12:09 PM
    If/When we get double tap to wake
    That is already available?
    03-06-2014 12:15 PM
    Seems to charge just fine. Light goes from blue to red when its full, and then back to blue when it tops off again. I have not found it to keep up completely with the discharge when running Here Drive, I'm guessing that is due to the larger display since it was able to keep up with my 8X. That said, I'd have to drive many hours straight to actually run it dead that way, it only loses a little bit per hour.
    Nice. I'd get one but the design is a bit too girly for me.

03-06-2014 12:16 PM
    I got an Arkon Mobile Grip 2. It squeezes the Icon right between the power key and the camera key. Not too obtrusive. Arkon has another model that will squeeze the phone long ways without covering the jacks. Of course both mounts swivel around to any position you like. The thing about Arkon is you can choose various mounting attachments like cup holder mounts, suction cups, dashboard, vent, goose necks and then you mount the dock on whatever you like. I got a custom bracket from them that installed into the instrument cluster on my Explorer and the dock looks like it belongs there. I had to remove some dashboard trim perform a minor mod but it was worth it. Check them out.
    03-06-2014 12:38 PM
    Does the Nokia Qi charging mount not work well with the ICON?
    03-06-2014 12:59 PM
    I love the look of the Nokia Qi dock but I wish it was compatible with one of the Proclip car mounts.
    03-07-2014 10:55 PM
    It works, but it doesn't work well, IMO. It is a bit small for the Icon and ends up holding the phone pretty low and, even worse, presses on the camera button, so you end with lots of pictures of the back end of cars. It also gets VERY hot with extended use, especially when using Nokia Drive+ (and probably any other GPS app).

I love the look of the Nokia Qi dock but I wish it was compatible with one of the Proclip car mounts.
    I ended up ordering a Proclip mount that clips on the A-pillar and the adjustable Proclip holder for the 928. I still didn't like that it pressed on the camera button. I ended up Frankenmodding it to incorporate a Nokia DT-900 desktop charging plate. I cut up the adjustable 928 holder and am using it to hold the phone in Landscape orientation. I epoxied the pieces to the DT-900 and I left about 1/4" space between the phone and charging plate to help reduce heat buildup and it ends up right above the vent in my car so I can get good air flow between the phone and the plate. Overall, very happy with my custom setup.
    03-08-2014 07:48 AM
    It works, but it doesn't work well, IMO. It is a bit small for the Icon and ends up holding the phone pretty low and, even worse, presses on the camera button, so you end with lots of pictures of the back end of cars. It also gets VERY hot with extended use, especially when using Nokia Drive+ (and probably any other GPS app).

I ended up ordering a Proclip mount that clips on the A-pillar and the adjustable Proclip holder for the 928. I still didn't like that it pressed on the camera button. I ended up Frankenmodding it to incorporate a Nokia DT-900 desktop charging plate. I cut up the adjustable 928 holder and am using it to hold the phone in Landscape orientation. I epoxied the pieces to the DT-900 and I left about 1/4" space between the phone and charging plate to help reduce heat buildup and it ends up right above the vent in my car so I can get good air flow between the phone and the plate. Overall, very happy with my custom setup.
    Pictures?
    03-08-2014 09:33 AM
    Pictures?
    I kinda figured some of you might want to see, but I didn't have time yesterday. Here is what it looks like:
    temporary_zpsa923fc80.jpgtemporary_zps01ebb461.jpgtemporary_zpsafb4c0d2.jpgtemporary_zpsc5128b5f.jpgtemporary_zpsd4ed22f4.jpg
    TheArcaneFlame likes this.
    03-09-2014 09:25 AM
    I have a smaller Qi disk that connects with micro-USB. I might have to break out the dremmel and epoxy. Thanks for the inspiration!
    03-09-2014 10:44 AM
    CR-200 works but pushes on camera button, you can exacto knife out some material to make it work better...

I just live with it opening camera every once in a while
    gernerttl likes this.
    03-09-2014 01:51 PM
54 123