Why is the Icon so big and heavy?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It feels lighter than the nokia 928 to me. Its barely larger too. I would estimate only by a few millimeters. What I noticed is that the display makes more efficient use of the available space than the 928.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL, this cracks me up because the Icon is lighter than the 920. I just switched to a 925 (bought it for Wi-Fi calling and because it was insanely cheap) and am finding myself missing the 920 for a number of reasons. The weight never bothered me at all, and I'm a tiny woman. :grin:

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
agreed, it's not too heavy. but I find it just wider enough than the 928 that I have trouble reaching the keys on the edge of the screen (mostly q and p). hrm.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
to the people who said go get a cheap plastic phone blah blah blah, how can you tell him to go get a "cheap plastic phone" or to go get an iphone, you guys are so RUDE! its disgusting for Godsake, he is entitled to his own opinion and just because you don't like the weight doesn't mean you should take it as a chance to bash iphones or samsungs and tell him to leave the platform.....

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I actually prefer the weight of the phone. Its really not that bad. It feels like a phone and not a toy. As for the size concern, you should of known that before you bought it. I'm glad that you are liking the rest of the features.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I like the weight and size of this phone but I also have big hands. I can surely understand someone saying this coming from an iphone. A friend told me she was thinking about going to the 1020 from a 4s and asked to see my phone. That's the first thing she said, why is it so big? (I get that a lot) :) lol

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
to the people who said go get a cheap plastic phone blah blah blah, how can you tell him to go get a "cheap plastic phone" or to go get an iphone, you guys are so RUDE! its disgusting for Godsake, he is entitled to his own opinion and just because you don't like the weight doesn't mean you should take it as a chance to bash iphones or samsungs and tell him to leave the platform.....

I wasn't trying to be rude at all. I do find your comment a little over the top though. You say he/she is entitled to their opinion yet you disregard the opinion of others with your comment. My comment in particular was not a bash as you claim at all. It is simply a statement. If you want a light feeling phone get a Samsung that is made of plastic. If you want something that feels sturdy in your hand with substance and a little extra weight get a Nokia.Why be so defensive and on the attack and read too much into a very simple post?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't really see it as heavy at all. I see it as sturdy and built with substance. If you want something light, get a plastic Samsung phone.

I agree. If you want light, go with Samsung...but don't count on durability. I used to have a Note II and I dropped it; it landed perfectly. The screen didn't crack, but within a few hours it had turned blue and was unreadable. I moved to a Lumia 928 within a few months after that. I dropped that several times and had no worries. I've had my Icon for just over a week and dropped it without a case and the phone looked at me like, "don't do that again, you'll bust a floor tile." The Icon is not much heavier than the 928 and it feels good in my hand. I do have a case for it now (mostly for looks), and with Gorilla Glass 3, I'm not too worried if I drop it.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Every time I pick up a Samsung Galaxy or Note, I am surprised at how cheap and toy like it feels. My 822 is built solid, and it shows. The hands on with the Icon makes me think my 822 isn't in the same league, which is impressive enough. The Icon feels like a real phone, meant to last...it just feels premium. This kind of reminds me when my wife switch to her 8330 Curve to one of the newer 9000 series curves back in 2010. The 8330 was a solid phone with heft. You could tell it was built well. The newer one was light and felt very cheaply made. It felt like picking up one of those cheap Fischer Price play phones you get for your kids.

Why people can complain about weight when we are talking about a few quarters difference between that and the iPhone 4. The iPhone 5 is ridiculously light and feels cheap compared to the 4. Lighter isn't always better, unless you like it being easier to launch your phone at of your hand when you pull it out of your pocket quickly.
Actually N3 is very well built although clearly not in a sturdy way.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I would say it's big and heavy because Verizon had some input into the design of the Icon. It was made to their specs as regards the shape and case materials and such.

I will agree with the folks that loved the Zune HD. I still have my Blue 64GB model (but sadly not my Zune Original version of it that was stolen at Comicon).

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't trying to be rude at all. I do find your comment a little over the top though. You say he/she is entitled to their opinion yet you disregard the opinion of others with your comment. My comment in particular was not a bash as you claim at all. It is simply a statement. If you want a light feeling phone get a Samsung that is made of plastic. If you want something that feels sturdy in your hand with substance and a little extra weight get a Nokia.Why be so defensive and on the attack and read too much into a very simple post?
actually no, because your comment was said in a nice way, the OP , this comment was a nicer way to put what you meant, you went straight into attacking another brand instead of saying something that could help him such as getting a different lumia, his OP didn't attack Nokia he jsut stated what he thought on HIS phone and he is entitled to that without being told to baiscally go to another OS/Brand.

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I moved to a Lumia 928 within a few months after that. I dropped that several times and had no worries.
My 928 screen cracked, when my wife dropped it.
Then, the screen stopped turning on, when I dropped it.
Neither time was in a case.

]I do have a case for it now (mostly for looks), and with Gorilla Glass 3, I'm not too worried if I drop it.
I've, now, had two Gorilla Glass 2 screens (HTC 8x and Nokia 928) crack, from drops.
I've lost most of my faith in Gorilla Glass.
Something to note...
All Gorilla Glass torture tests, that I've seen, are head-on with the glass.
Both screens, that I've broken, were cracked, from the side.
As much as I hate cases, they are still required (my 928 polycarbonate case was even cracked in a few places).
JJ

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I know what it's like to hold something big and heavy in my hand and I just don't feel like this phone is it. I was surprised how sleek and light it really was when I was able to finally examine one at the Microsoft Store on release day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo