03-20-2014 10:33 AM
65 123
tools
    I went to one of the local VZW store and the first Rep was not aware of name Nokia Lumia Icon. Next he told me that all they were selling was 822 sometime back and now they have nothing in Windows Phone!! He tried to push for S4 and some LG handsets as much as possible, telling stories about how ppl are happy with them since last year or so from when he is in store. He was damn sure that none WP have 'good' hardware specs (am not sure what was a 'good' hw description for him), then he tried to search Icon on his phone, scroogled it and could not say a word after that. Very next minute he figured out that he was standing next to very same phone!!! So he had no words for me and I could not resist talking to his supervisor next...
    zorb58 likes this.
    03-10-2014 03:02 PM
    The display models were obviously just taken out, booted up, and put on display. Nothing was done.
    When it was my turn the sales rep asked what I was interested in, I told him, and he called it a "Lumina."
    That seems a general story... same happened with me :-)
    03-10-2014 03:12 PM
    You found a VZW store that displays MULTIPLE Windows phones? That's an anomaly in and of itself.
    The VZW store I had my horrible experience at had four phones on display and they were even labelled correctly. Shocking, I know.
    enb123 likes this.
    03-10-2014 04:35 PM
    Most of the time sales staff just want to sell what they know about. They refuse to take the time to learn about new products and services and/or their employer doesn't provide the proper time for them to learn. I once worked in a Best Buy store during the holiday season in the computer department. No one really wanted to learn about the new things coming in much less the new things they already had in stock. I prided myself in knowing everything there was to know about the product and services. They would always bring their customers to me to give the low-down on something they wanted to know. I left because I talked too much about the product and didn't talk enough about the "services" end of the deal...yes, those big ticket items like service contracts.
    03-10-2014 05:24 PM
    Maybe they should watch their own videos:
    03-10-2014 05:30 PM
    Most of the time sales staff just want to sell what they know about. They refuse to take the time to learn about new products and services and/or their employer doesn't provide the proper time for them to learn. I once worked in a Best Buy store during the holiday season in the computer department. No one really wanted to learn about the new things coming in much less the new things they already had in stock. I prided myself in knowing everything there was to know about the product and services. They would always bring their customers to me to give the low-down on something they wanted to know. I left because I talked too much about the product and didn't talk enough about the "services" end of the deal...yes, those big ticket items like service contracts.

Most have no clue about any of the products there selling. Not one knew the 1520 takes a nano sim or that there is a 32 gig version available. When I got my 2520 I said I want the keyboard as well and I get "they make one?" hell I had a fool try to take the battery out of my G2 hahahaha
    03-10-2014 05:39 PM
    I would venture a guess that less than 10% of the Verizon store sales and managers have seen this video. Is there a way I can downloaded to my 928 to show my friends a cohorts?
    03-10-2014 05:41 PM
    I would venture a guess that less than 10% of the Verizon store sales and managers have seen this video. Is there a way I can downloaded to my 928 to show my friends a cohorts?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...nload-youtube/
    YOUTUBE TO MP3 CONVERTER - CONVERT YOUTUBE VIDEOS TO MP3

There are other methods as well.
    aximtreo likes this.
    03-10-2014 05:50 PM
    Verizon offered to upgrade my fathers flip phone to a smart phone early, and they gave 3 choices for free. Galaxy mini, Droid ultra, and Lumia 928. Now he's an old school guy, no interest in computers but figured he would go for the "new thing" and the big screen. I advised him to go Lumia thinking it would be much easier for him to figure out than Android. Well after an hour with a couple of VZW reps, he left with the Droid ultra. Multiple sales guys basically drilled into his head that WP is too new, poor quality, poor battery, etc...
    03-10-2014 07:44 PM
    My worst experience here in Switzerland. I went to a Orange store to send in my HTC 8X, and the sales person said: "Well, you can send it in. Unfortunately we only have Windows Phone devices as a temporary replacement until you get it back, at the moment."

I found it kind of ironic ;-)
    Ordeith likes this.
    03-11-2014 12:13 PM
    I bought mines online. But the Verizon rep I was chatting with while making the purchase did praise the Icon saying you are going to love this phone and how it was an excellent choice I made.
    03-11-2014 12:23 PM
    Retail sales associates can be motivated by their experiences or even more powerful are the spif's.
    03-11-2014 12:57 PM
    I dropped Verizon like a bad habit because of their awful WP support. They are way to deep in googles pocket with droid...at&t has been so much friendlier with their support of wp and much more knowledgeable.
    Yeah try being with Sprint and seeing their WP support.
    03-11-2014 01:48 PM
    When I got my Ativ S Neo with Sprint when it launched I kind of lucked out and had a sales rep, very pretty by the way, that was as excited as I was that I was getting a WP phones. The amount of knowledge she had was pretty amazing, I'd have to assume she did her own homework on that one, but made me happy about my purchase.

That store has since shut down, and now the past two times I've had my phone worked on for any issues, I have to go to the Redmond, WA flagship store, and both times numerous reps make the effort to come to me and just bash the phone, literally asking me why did I get a WP. It's actually kind of annoying, because I'm sure when a person goes to the dealership to get their car serviced, that they don't want to keep hearing that the car they bought from them is a piece of crap.

Yesterday I was getting my phone looked at because it wouldn't let me switch the roaming on, and I had to finally tell one of the reps, " Could you please do me a favor and shut up, this is the second time I've come in here and you've made it a point to bash my phone. When someone pays nearly $500 for something I don't need to be constantly told that it's bad. I'm very happy with the phone, but your opinion is not why I came in here". He did apologize sort of, saying that he had the phone and didn't like it, but to me I don't need to hear it.

I mentioned in an earlier thread, I never understood the bashing of people's OS decision. I can list off all the things I disliked about IOS, and especially Android since that was the phone OS I've had the most issues with, but each OS fits different people's personality. I've actually never tried to convince anyone I know to get WP. If they ask why I went with WP I'll tell them, but some people I know wont like it.
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    03-11-2014 02:00 PM
    That store has since shut down, and now the past two times I've had my phone worked on for any issues, I have to go to the Redmond, WA flagship store, and both times numerous reps make the effort to come to me and just bash the phone, literally asking me why did I get a WP. It's actually kind of annoying, because I'm sure when a person goes to the dealership to get their car serviced, that they don't want to keep hearing that the car they bought from them is a piece of crap.
    Wow, Redmond is Microsoft's back yard. It's possible people are harsher there because of Microsoft's presence, but that's pretty wild.

My experience was horrible, but not because of employee knowledge. He was helpful, and admitted to knowing nothing about the phone, so he focused on making sure I was happy with the purchase and getting everything squared away properly. The manager on staff knew about it, and wouldn't stop talking about how great the camera was. I had to call VZW as a result of the issues I had in the store, and one of the reps I spoke to was very helpful, and genuinely excited about the Icon.
    03-11-2014 02:58 PM
    Well...I went with a friend to the Verizon store yesterday so that they could exchange their G2 for a Icon. The G2 was a nice phone but my friend kept getting the error "Google Process Force Closed" etc. It happened like over 10 times yesterday, even after factory resetting the phone. So I persuaded him to get a Icon or yes..a iPhone.lol. So we went to the Verizon store and explained the situation to the Rep. The Rep was like he'll just give him another G2. But my buddy was like no, he wanted to exchange it for the Icon. The Rep then asked my buddy if he was sure that that he wanted the Icon and of course my buddy was like yes. The Rep begin to belittle Windows Phone, saying that the hardware is not up to par with Android or iOS and that the apps selection is horrible. He then told my buddy that he should think twice before grabbing the Icon. I was like wth...seriously. So then I got into the mix and told the Rep that the Icon has one of the best cameras on any smartphone other than maybe the 1020, the build of the Icon is a lot better than any Android phone period and that the apps are coming. He looked shocked to know that I also knew about phones.

So after all that, the rep went to the back to grab a Icon. When he returned, we asked if there was any cases available. His response was that all the cases are in the back because they didn't think the Icon would sale.I just stood there and shook my head.

So as the our rep was doing the exchange, another rep approached a customer that was waiting to be helped. When the rep asked the customer if they could help them, the customer response was that he wanted to buy the Icon and right after that another customer went over to the Icon that was sitting on display in a lonely corner and also said that they were going to get one as well.

It just really shocks me to enter a store and the reps don't mention Windows phone at all or look at you stupid when you inquire about one or actually buy one.
    This is the same sort of experience I had when trying to get a Lumia 520 for my mum at an O2 store here in the UK as a replacement for her Galaxy Nexus. The rep insisted that the Galaxy Nexus was a better phone and I was that shocked I couldn't think of anything to say.
    03-11-2014 06:08 PM
    I know a vzw rep and he's an android fanboy. He's always giving me crap about WP. I constantly prove him wrong about 90% of the time. He only wins when it comes to fitbit and smartwatch apps.

He admits that reps street people away from WP. Its really sad that they don't even know the OS but they slam it.
    anon8657740 and wpn00b like this.
    03-11-2014 06:32 PM
    I currently work at best buy, and previously worked in best buy mobile for 2 years and I can tell you that reps will always sway towards what makes them the most money. If someone comes in for an iPhone, they automatically sway them towards an android. If a rep wants to avoid returns and sell lots of accessories, they always sway towards an iPhone. Usually my coworkers never sold windows phones because they knew nothing about them and weren't pressured to learn. Difference between people who are in it because they love it and people who are in it for just a job.
    03-11-2014 06:56 PM
    I honestly hate Verizon, they messed up all my screen protectors and tried to over charge me for weird features TWICE.... And like you said, they know absolutely nothing about windows phones and they usually act like they suck.... I'm sorry that we have to deal with this but that's just life I suppose. Hopefully they get better over time
    03-11-2014 07:15 PM
    I dropped Verizon like a bad habit because of their awful WP support. They are way to deep in googles pocket with droid...at&t has been so much friendlier with their support of wp and much more knowledgeable.
    From an insider point of view I can say that VZW actually tried to launch Windows Phone as an acceptable alternative for those that hadn't yet gotten a smartphone. Data Sense(was exclusive to VZW for awhile) and Live Tiles were positioned as easier to use than Android and iOS. So I wouldn't say they are deep Googles pocket. It's just that reps are VERY partial to their own OS of choice. I've explained to other reps how great it is, and I even acknowledge its shortcomings, and they just refuse to hear any part of it. As far as they know it still "has no apps".

Very annoying. But anyways Verizon tried, and just hasn't pushed as hard as they should. Google has no say in the matter however...they just are easier to work with regarding custom applications on device launches.
    03-11-2014 07:29 PM
    I know a vzw rep and he's an android fanboy. He's always giving me crap about WP. I constantly prove him wrong about 90% of the time. He only wins when it comes to fitbit and smartwatch apps.

He admits that reps street people away from WP. Its really sad that they don't even know the OS but they slam it.
    This is much closer to the truth. A bunch of fanboys work for the carriers and influence public perception of WP. It isn't any particular carriers stance.
    03-11-2014 07:32 PM

Welp, for what it's worth some smartwatches are getting 3rd party drivers for WP now.
    joe_easton likes this.
    03-11-2014 08:40 PM
    My worst experience here in Switzerland. I went to a Orange store to send in my HTC 8X, and the sales person said: "Well, you can send it in. Unfortunately we only have Windows Phone devices as a temporary replacement until you get it back, at the moment."

I found it kind of ironic ;-)
    Ok. I'm not up on ALL WP8 models, so this may sound silly, but isn't the 8X a WP? smh...
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-14-2014 12:50 AM
    Ok. I'm not up on ALL WP8 models, so this may sound silly, but isn't the 8X a WP? smh...
    Yes, it is. That's what I mean :-)
    wpn00b likes this.
    03-14-2014 02:26 AM
    This is much closer to the truth. A bunch of fanboys work for the carriers and influence public perception of WP. It isn't any particular carriers stance.
    Agreed, as reps they should be presenting their customers with all the options and letting them make the decision. When I was working for a retailer I always believed in two things "The customer is always right" and "Give the customer what they want".
    03-14-2014 08:11 AM
65 123