My Experience In The Verizon Store While Picking Up A Icon

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well...I went with a friend to the Verizon store yesterday so that they could exchange their G2 for a Icon. The G2 was a nice phone but my friend kept getting the error "Google Process Force Closed" etc. It happened like over 10 times yesterday, even after factory resetting the phone. So I persuaded him to get a Icon or yes..a iPhone.lol. So we went to the Verizon store and explained the situation to the Rep. The Rep was like he'll just give him another G2. But my buddy was like no, he wanted to exchange it for the Icon. The Rep then asked my buddy if he was sure that that he wanted the Icon and of course my buddy was like yes. The Rep begin to belittle Windows Phone, saying that the hardware is not up to par with Android or iOS and that the apps selection is horrible. He then told my buddy that he should think twice before grabbing the Icon. I was like wth...seriously. So then I got into the mix and told the Rep that the Icon has one of the best cameras on any smartphone other than maybe the 1020, the build of the Icon is a lot better than any Android phone period and that the apps are coming. He looked shocked to know that I also knew about phones.

So after all that, the rep went to the back to grab a Icon. When he returned, we asked if there was any cases available. His response was that all the cases are in the back because they didn't think the Icon would sale.I just stood there and shook my head.

So as the our rep was doing the exchange, another rep approached a customer that was waiting to be helped. When the rep asked the customer if they could help them, the customer response was that he wanted to buy the Icon and right after that another customer went over to the Icon that was sitting on display in a lonely corner and also said that they were going to get one as well.

It just really shocks me to enter a store and the reps don't mention Windows phone at all or look at you stupid when you inquire about one or actually buy one.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Classic scene even in our country, but here they go even further - they tell you that they don't even sell them because Windows Phones are trash. That's quoted from a rep which works in the biggest telecommunication corp in Slovenia. I

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
My experience a few weeks ago was very similar with the Verizon sales rep telling me "no one is interested in Windows phones". They also had no Icon accessories on display, they were all in the back room. And the Icon phones they had on display were very scratched up (never saw Gorilla glass look so bad).

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Well...I went with a friend to the Verizon store yesterday so that they could exchange their G2 for a Icon. The G2 was a nice phone but my friend kept getting the error "Google Process Force Closed" etc. It happened like over 10 times yesterday, even after factory resetting the phone. So I persuaded him to get a Icon or yes..a iPhone.lol. So we went to the Verizon store and explained the situation to the Rep. The Rep was like he'll just give him another G2. But my buddy was like no, he wanted to exchange it for the Icon. The Rep then asked my buddy if he was sure that that he wanted the Icon and of course my buddy was like yes. The Rep begin to belittle Windows Phone, saying that the hardware is not up to par with Android or iOS and that the apps selection is horrible. He then told my buddy that he should think twice before grabbing the Icon. I was like wth...seriously. So then I got into the mix and told the Rep that the Icon has one of the best cameras on any smartphone other than maybe the 1020, the build of the Icon is a lot better than any Android phone period and that the apps are coming. He looked shocked to know that I also knew about phones.

So after all that, the rep went to the back to grab a Icon. When he returned, we asked if there was any cases available. His response was that all the cases are in the back because they didn't think the Icon would sale.I just stood there and shook my head.

So as the our rep was doing the exchange, another rep approached a customer that was waiting to be helped. When the rep asked the customer if they could help them, the customer response was that he wanted to buy the Icon and right after that another customer went over to the Icon that was sitting on display in a lonely corner and also said that they were going to get one as well.

It just really shocks me to enter a store and the reps don't mention Windows phone at all or look at you stupid when you inquire about one or actually buy one.

This shouldn't come as a surprise as many people (Android & iPhone users) including some WP users aren't still aware of whats happening or whats going on in the app situation in the last few months.

There are people i know who still believe services like Instagram & Vine is still unavailable to WP. Imagine their faces when they use that as an argument to bash WP and all I have to do is stand there silently and launch the app.

Blame Microsoft for the weak advertising campaigns.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Not surprising. I have always been a critic of Microsoft's marketing strategy. They just don't get to seem the statistics right. For people like us , who follow WPcentral and other WP news , we would buy a WP anyways. But a majority of them who buy from a brick mortar shop , friends recco etc - they just dont get the message right

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Reps want to sell phones and not have them returned. One rep told me the return rate on winphones is really high, so maybe that's why.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I dropped Verizon like a bad habit because of their awful WP support. They are way to deep in googles pocket with droid...at&t has been so much friendlier with their support of wp and much more knowledgeable.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
This shouldn't come as a surprise as many people (Android & iPhone users) including some WP users aren't still aware of whats happening or whats going on in the app situation in the last few months.

There are people i know who still believe services like Instagram & Vine is still unavailable to WP. Imagine their faces when they use that as an argument to bash WP and all I have to do is stand there silently and launch the app.

Blame Microsoft for the weak advertising campaigns.

The Icon has a nationally running ad... it sucks IMO, but it exists. Talks about the video, and points out some key apps, including Vine.

I recall seeing similar stories over on the Android forums, people going in to buy a phone and the reps trashing Android devices and steering people toward the iPhone. You'd think people who work in sales would want to make people buy what they're looking at, not steer them based on personal preference, but that's why they're hocking cell phones I guess.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The Icon has a nationally running ad... it sucks IMO, but it exists. Talks about the video, and points out some key apps, including Vine.

I recall seeing similar stories over on the Android forums, people going in to buy a phone and the reps trashing Android devices and steering people toward the iPhone. You'd think people who work in sales would want to make people buy what they're looking at, not steer them based on personal preference, but that's why they're hocking cell phones I guess.

Some of these 'reps' are just 'fanboys'. No matter how to justify it, they still gonna stick to there personal picks blindly and make others follow their route.

Well at least Nokia is trying to make people understand the app situation with their latest ad.

mac james

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I got my phone launch day, same as the 928 before, and the 920 before that. Everytime I was confronted with comments very similar to all of those. This is not just a Verizon issue, but att does it as well. It was actually much worse when I bought my 920. So I am getting my icon, and the guy is literally arguing with me, about not getting the phone, telling me it horrible, blurry screen, really bad camera... I ask for a manager, I am told he is at lunch, it was 10 they just opened... Finally he got the phone, there were a large number of ppl at this point listening to all of this. He brought the phone out with his co worker. He has that new 20mp Sony phone, his co worker had the s4 they attempt to smartphone gang up on me. A vs match right there in the store... Lol it was insanely hilarious. We took pics, video, compared screens, audio, internet, and apps selections. Ppl in the store where naming apps. Not only did we have them on WP. But I was finding them faster. They both were pale faced. My gorgeous icon won this pitiful fight, not my words but everyone there in the store agreed, saying my new icon was sic. Better then the Sony or Samsung. This was 20 ppl not one of them said my phone wasn't as good in any area we checked. I should work for Microsoft haha. Oh and one thing be did say towards the end, is that the return rate is in the 80% ppl take it home and bring it back saying it to difficult to use, or they couldn't figure it out. Lol really its easier than an iPhone.... So he said they try not to sell them because a loss of a sale. Maybe if they knew more about the platform and informed the customers better then the customers wouldn't return the phone...

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I got my phone launch day, same as the 928 before, and the 920 before that. Everytime I was confronted with comments very similar to all of those. This is not just a Verizon issue, but att does it as well. It was actually much worse when I bought my 920. So I am getting my icon, and the guy is literally arguing with me, about not getting the phone, telling me it horrible, blurry screen, really bad camera... I ask for a manager, I am told he is at lunch, it was 10 they just opened... Finally he got the phone, there were a large number of ppl at this point listening to all of this. He brought the phone out with his co worker. He has that new 20mp Sony phone, his co worker had the s4 they attempt to smartphone gang up on me. A vs match right there in the store... Lol it was insanely hilarious. We took pics, video, compared screens, audio, internet, and apps selections. Ppl in the store where naming apps. Not only did we have them on WP. But I was finding them faster. They both were pale faced. My gorgeous icon won this pitiful fight, not my words but everyone there in the store agreed, saying my new icon was sic. Better then the Sony or Samsung. This was 20 ppl not one of them said my phone wasn't as good in any area we checked. I should work for Microsoft haha. Oh and one thing be did say towards the end, is that the return rate is in the 80% ppl take it home and bring it back saying it to difficult to use, or they couldn't figure it out. Lol really its easier than an iPhone.... So he said they try not to sell them because a loss of a sale. Maybe if they knew more about the platform and informed the customers better then the customers wouldn't return the phone...

Too difficult to use?! Seriously?

On second thought, its possible that WP interface may confuse casual users who has been exposed to iPhone & Android UI, which are kind off similar.

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I really enjoy theses success stories of ignorant salespeople being proven wrong. I'm a bit of a wimp and just went to the MS Store to avoid it all, but either way, I'm really glad to see all the interest in the Icon and Windows Phones in general.

Chrono803

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Icon yesterday while switching back to Verizon from AT&T. The rep was actually praising Windows Phone. I'm guessing that reps like in the story above are just biased against Windows Phone and therefore don't bother to learn anything about it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I usually take advantage of the wait times at Verizon stores by talking to other customers who are there cause their Droid lags, or iPhone deletes contacts, or battery doesn't last long, and so on the list of complaints. Tell them about the different Windows Phones and get their interest going.

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Don't patronize Verizon Stores! Why deal with it. This is 2014! Shop online. Better deals, no BS (see below).

Verizon website. Use promo code Verizon30 to get it for $139

Microsoft Store with FREE wireless charging plate worth $69

Amazon $149.99
Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia Icon, Black 32GB (Verizon Wireless): Cell Phones & Accessories

Wirefly $149.99
Wirefly Search

mac james

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Just not a big online shopper. Call me old school. Sure I could save. But buying online just doesn't feel the same. Guess one day I'll be forced to convert, but just like with jeans you'll never catch me wearing the girly skinny jeans, no matter how hard they try to phase out boot cut. I'll make my own jeans before I dress like a women. Same goes with online shopping even if my car breaks I'll walk to get my phone rather than order it online yes I'm stubborn. But at least I know it, and I'm ok with that..

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I went in the Verizon store on launch day and they had two setup for display. I told the rep i wanted the phone and she replied by asking " the blackberry?" of course she walked closer and saw it was the Icon and told me it was brand new to them. After that she just went grabbed my phone activated it and sent me on my way. Went as smooth as any other transaction ive had with them. lucky me i guess.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The rep I got my icon from had his own icon supplied by Verizon as a perk for a work phone. He loved it and was really helpful helping me understand the OS. When they only had white and I wanted black he said if I could wait a few minutes the FedEx guy had just pulled up and they were offloading more new phones. They had a couple black ones. In any case I guess it just depends who you get and if its an iPhone or Google lover then they are prejudiced right at the start. Furthermore he also told me to be sure and not miss the return window if I decided I didn't like it for any reason and he apologized for the restocking fee if I returned! Great rep!
Of course I'm keeping it. Great device!!

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I usually take advantage of the wait times at Verizon stores by talking to other customers who are there cause their Droid lags, or iPhone deletes contacts, or battery doesn't last long, and so on the list of complaints. Tell them about the different Windows Phones and get their interest going.

While we were there , another customer came in with a Note 3 that was having a lot of force closing issues as well. The manager came over and told her that he have seen quite a lot complaints over the past few days regarding android and all these force closing issues. I wanted to point her over to the icon as well, but I just forced myself to keep mu mouth shut.

The depressing thing is that the rep said its nothing they can do because the error message wasn't popping up at the time...not only that but the woman only had the phone for a week, I believe I heard her say.

Oh well, people (meaning the Verizon Reps) will wake up soon and see that windows is no joke :)

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon store has become an absolutely dreadful experience. I now do my phone shopping at the Microsoft store and my wife does hers at the Apple store. I refuse to go into a Verizon store unless I absolutely have to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3