Wireless charging

johnnyshinta

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I've read that using a wireless charging pad can cause the battery to heat up and subsequently diminish its capacity. Someone game me a LG charging pad that they don't want but I haven't used it yet. I am a bit hesitant to use it with what I've read. How many of you use charging pads and have their been issues with heat?

user928

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
What model LG? I have been using the Verizon/LG WCP-700 with my Lumia 928 for 6 months w/out issue.

A special protection circuit is required to safely operate Li-Ion batteries. This protection circuit is built into each Lithium-Ion battery pack. The protection circuit limits the peak voltage of each cell while charging as well as limiting the voltage drain when discharging. The protection circuit also monitors the cell temperature to avoid temperature extremes during charging or usage.

Last edited:

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've used wireless charging with my Lumia 920 (one pad at office used occasionally and one at home for regular overnight charging) for over 16 months without issue. I haven't noticed any drop in overall battery effectiveness.

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been using three of the same model of Nokia charging pad with my Icon and the phone never seems to get hot or even warm while charging.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I've read that using a wireless charging pad can cause the battery to heat up and subsequently diminish its capacity. Someone game me a LG charging pad that they don't want but I haven't used it yet. I am a bit hesitant to use it with what I've read. How many of you use charging pads and have their been issues with heat?

I'm pretty sure engineers who get paid a lot more than your average forum jockey have thought about the heat and it's negative effects on the battery, so it's likely they built in protections to prevent damage.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I know on Nokia's Charging Plate that if the battery gets too hot the status light starts blinking rapidly until the battery cools down. This used to happen once and awhile with my 822.

drn007

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I put my Icon on my charging pad after using it alot. It was warm when I put it on the charger. I checked it later and the phone had shut down and would not come back on using the power button. The phone was now cooled down and I plugged in the wired charger. Phone came back on and is working fine. I'm thinking there is some built in protection for heat.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I put my Icon on my charging pad after using it alot. It was warm when I put it on the charger. I checked it later and the phone had shut down and would not come back on using the power button. The phone was now cooled down and I plugged in the wired charger. Phone came back on and is working fine. I'm thinking there is some built in protection for heat.

The extreme majority, if not all, modern devices that use Lithium batteries have circuitry in them to prevent overheating and over charging/discharging. It is a HUGE safety risk, aside from damage to the internal components, the battery could go boom.

drn007

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
The extreme majority, if not all, modern devices that use Lithium batteries have circuitry in them to prevent overheating and over charging/discharging. It is a HUGE safety risk, aside from damage to the internal components, the battery could go boom.

Yep, mines tested and it works!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo