08-09-2014 09:13 AM
218 ... 56789
tools
    The smartphone satisfaction thing. I would like a source for that. Android is not complicated to use. It that was the case majority of android owners would have jumped ship to something simpler. But, they don't you here more people coming to android than leaving it. Also saying android is the majority because of cost is funny considering the majority windows phones are the cheapest ones and the most popular android phones (Samsung Galaxy devices) cost the same or similar to the iPhone. Also, its not that apps make you want to be perceived a certain way. Its just that some smartphone users use apps that are essential in day to day life. For example, I pay $5 a month for Evernote premium and I use Evernote to the up notes in my college psych class and take photos of anything important and put it in there etc. I think what you are thinking of is the newer generation who use smart phones for pure social media usage and entertainment.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Seriously, you speak like someone who is addressing the issue from a geek perspective. I can't count how many times I've watched co-workers fumbling to find certain settings on their Androids (it's even funnier to watch 2 in particular that have the same phone (either S2's or S3's...forget) but on different carriers so their apps and settings are in different locations. I've used a number of Android devices, my wife's iPhone 4S (including with iOS7), and my webOS phones (bless their little hearts). Android IS complicated and not the best thought out or organized OS, not by a long shot. Once you know it, it may not seem complicated, but it is.

As for satisfaction, I can Bing it and find numerous examples. Here's 3 from different time periods and methods (JD Powers is by phone, but you can get the gist of it): First, second, and third link. There are more, but the trend hasn't changed. Android has frequently had one of the higher ratings for "likely to change OS" when surveyed for the likelihood of someone changing from the OS they are currently running. The vast majority of smartphone users want 1: social networks, 2: email, 3: browsing, 4: messaging, and 5: casual games. WP8 has all of that and is probably the best at most of them. Casual games is really the only "weak" spot, but I have over 40 games on my Icon, and there are a great many more. They don't always have the latest and greatest, but most of the popular ones are there.

I stand on what I said. I haven't been limited on my Icon at all, and I love the phone, much more than my 822.
    03-29-2014 05:23 PM
    Seriously, you speak like someone who is addressing the issue from a geek perspective. I can't count how many times I've watched co-workers fumbling to find certain settings on their Androids (it's even funnier to watch 2 in particular that have the same phone (either S2's or S3's...forget) but on different carriers so their apps and settings are in different locations. I've used a number of Android devices, my wife's iPhone 4S (including with iOS7), and my webOS phones (bless their little hearts). Android IS complicated and not the best thought out or organized OS, not by a long shot. Once you know it, it may not seem complicated, but it is.

As for satisfaction, I can Bing it and find numerous examples. Here's 3 from different time periods and methods (JD Powers is by phone, but you can get the gist of it): First, second, and third link. There are more, but the trend hasn't changed. Android has frequently had one of the higher ratings for "likely to change OS" when surveyed for the likelihood of someone changing from the OS they are currently running. The vast majority of smartphone users want 1: social networks, 2: email, 3: browsing, 4: messaging, and 5: casual games. WP8 has all of that and is probably the best at most of them. Casual games is really the only "weak" spot, but I have over 40 games on my Icon, and there are a great many more. They don't always have the latest and greatest, but most of the popular ones are there.

I stand on what I said. I haven't been limited on my Icon at all, and I love the phone, much more than my 822.
    You realize two of your links is from 2012!? Android 4.4 was just put as more stable than iOS recently and has changed so much since 2012 overall. The J.D. link didn`t help your case at all because Samsung was the highest rated Manufacturer after Apple according to them. Your case about your coworkers is very anecdotal, and does not prove anything and to say they are Samsung devices makes it worse seeing as they are the heaviest with customization. To say Windows Phone does the essentials best is very subjective. Also, WP8 does not have the casuals games yet. The latest ones, Cut the Rope 2 and Threes are nowhere to be found on WP.
    03-29-2014 06:36 PM
    Just like all the windows phone users waiting on WP8.1?

actually no. A lot of people recommend folks to experience wp8 as is ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk
    03-30-2014 01:43 AM
    actually no. A lot of people recommend folks to experience wp8 as is ๐Ÿ˜Š

Yet I see many posts around here saying wait for WP8.1 phones.

psychotron likes this.
    03-30-2014 07:41 AM

Absolutely true.
    A895 likes this.
    03-30-2014 09:35 AM

If you are on Verizon, I don't think that there's much difference. Icon will almost certainly be one if the first phones to get the 8.1 upgrade, and Verizon offers very few WP flagships.

If you can afford to wait a couple of weeks, you could play with an WP 8.1 loaded Icon at your Microsoft store, which is the best place to buy a windows phone.

As for me, I am hanging in there after five weeks with the Icon. Nokia has built a quality handset. I am counting on WP 8.1 to be a full-blown OS upgrade. If 8.1 delivers on its promises, WP could finally be ready for prime time.
    03-30-2014 10:03 AM
    If you are on Verizon, I don't think that there's much difference. Icon will almost certainly be one if the first phones to get the 8.1 upgrade, and Verizon offers very few WP flagships.

If you can afford to wait a couple of weeks, you could play with an WP 8.1 loaded Icon at your Microsoft store, which is the best place to buy a windows phone.

As for me, I am hanging in there after five weeks with the Icon. Nokia has built a quality handset. I am counting on WP 8.1 to be a full-blown OS upgrade. If 8.1 delivers on its promises, WP could finally be ready for prime time.
    The Icon more than likely will be last Nokia phone for Verizon this year if last year and the year before that is anything to go by. If that is the case the Icon is the WP to get if you use Verizon.

03-30-2014 11:19 AM

LMAO ok good for you.
    I said I see people recommended windows phone as is, like myself

You see the opposite

We see what we want to see

But why did my statement require a retort from you? Although I already know that answer

03-30-2014 10:12 PM
    LMAO ok good for you.
    I said I see people recommended windows phone as is, like myself

You see the opposite

We see what we want to see

But why did my statement require a retort from you? Although I already know that answer

Um.... maybe because you posted a "retort" to his statement? What, are you the only one who gets to reply to people or something?
    A895 likes this.
    03-30-2014 11:41 PM
    Actually it was a retort on his retort. And this is a retort on your retort about his retort on A895's retort. This is fun
    A895 likes this.
    03-30-2014 11:50 PM
    You realize two of your links is from 2012!? Android 4.4 was just put as more stable than iOS recently and has changed so much since 2012 overall. The J.D. link didn`t help your case at all because Samsung was the highest rated Manufacturer after Apple according to them. Your case about your coworkers is very anecdotal, and does not prove anything and to say they are Samsung devices makes it worse seeing as they are the heaviest with customization. To say Windows Phone does the essentials best is very subjective. Also, WP8 does not have the casuals games yet. The latest ones, Cut the Rope 2 and Threes are nowhere to be found on WP.
    Um, most people who have Android have them from the time period in question. There are newer satisfaction articles that still show the same, but I just picked the first couple I came across. The JD Powers shows Nokia ahead of Samsung at AT&T where there majority of the users were at the time. The lower scores for Nokia on T-Mobile may have something to do with the 8XX variant that T-Mobile stopped support on after several months. The 52X variant is too new to really impact this survey.

As to casual games, it's got the Temple Run series, Subway Surfers, Rail Rush, all of the Angry Birds, the Asphalt series, most Mini-Clip made games (like Rail Rush), most of the Disney games, Minion Rush, Ragdoll Run, Royal Revolt, etc... Cut the Rope is one of the few franchises that doesn't seem to understand that WP has a higher monetization rate. Not all of the latest and greatest games get on WP right from the start, but that is slowly changing. The reality is, however, that most, as I said, of the best casual games are on WP.

But thanks for taking this thread into territory where it should be in the OS wars forum.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    03-31-2014 05:06 AM
    Um, most people who have Android have them from the time period in question. There are newer satisfaction articles that still show the same, but I just picked the first couple I came across. The JD Powers shows Nokia ahead of Samsung at AT&T where there majority of the users were at the time. The lower scores for Nokia on T-Mobile may have something to do with the 8XX variant that T-Mobile stopped support on after several months. The 52X variant is too new to really impact this survey.

As to casual games, it's got the Temple Run series, Subway Surfers, Rail Rush, all of the Angry Birds, the Asphalt series, most Mini-Clip made games (like Rail Rush), most of the Disney games, Minion Rush, Ragdoll Run, Royal Revolt, etc... Cut the Rope is one of the few franchises that doesn't seem to understand that WP has a higher monetization rate. Not all of the latest and greatest games get on WP right from the start, but that is slowly changing. The reality is, however, that most, as I said, of the best casual games are on WP.

But thanks for taking this thread into territory where it should be in the OS wars forum.
    Thanks for blaming something on me, when it takes two to tango. Also the casual games and the newest apps that are not on WP is one of the reasons it is behind. How you can leave a platform that has all the apps you want for one that has most to some of the apps you use or might want?
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    03-31-2014 08:44 AM
    Thanks for blaming something on me, when it takes two to tango. Also the casual games and the newest apps that are not on WP is one of the reasons it is behind. How you can leave a platform that has all the apps you want for one that has most to some of the apps you use or might want?
    Apparently it takes half a dozen to tango. How can I want to go to a platform that makes me a product to be sold to others just so I can have every possible game out there, when the one I am on treats me like the customer, and has several thousand (yes, several thousand) games that cover my needs and wants? The same platform that doesn't lag after time, and whose "free" games don't constantly nag me with a plethora of pop-up ads? Why would I want to use an OS whose very design was done to get as many people tied into a data gathering system for collecting information on me to better target me with marketing, versus one that only uses ad revenue as a supplement and mostly just targets of keyword searches I do?

Every OS has it's pluses and minuses. Android's biggest plus is it's flexibility. It's minuses are a bridge too far for people like me.
    cckgz4 and Kashan Osama like this.
    03-31-2014 01:14 PM
    Um.... maybe because you posted a "retort" to his statement? What, are you the only one who gets to reply to people or something?
    Why are you forcing yourself into the convo? LOL yes this is a forum but just like with any conversation, you can tell who are aggressively wanting to be included. Have several seats

And no he is not disallowed from replying, but if he sees one thing, and I see another, why continue? It's nothing but a "have the last word" bull crap. You and him can continue to play that game amongst yourselves. I'm over it
    BobLobIaw likes this.
    03-31-2014 01:27 PM
    Apparently it takes half a dozen to tango. How can I want to go to a platform that makes me a product to be sold to others just so I can have every possible game out there, when the one I am on treats me like the customer, and has several thousand (yes, several thousand) games that cover my needs and wants? The same platform that doesn't lag after time, and whose "free" games don't constantly nag me with a plethora of pop-up ads? Why would I want to use an OS whose very design was done to get as many people tied into a data gathering system for collecting information on me to better target me with marketing, versus one that only uses ad revenue as a supplement and mostly just targets of keyword searches I do?

Every OS has it's pluses and minuses. Android's biggest plus is it's flexibility. It's minuses are a bridge too far for people like me.
    I think you don't understand what is android. Its very easy to get rid of the play store and use another app store and circumvent Google apps all together and still have a good phone. I guess the minuses make you the very small minority. Millions of android users around and they don't kind it a bit. I don't mind it because it is much easier and versatile to use Google services.

Kashan Osama likes this.
    03-31-2014 02:37 PM
    I think you don't understand what is android. Its very easy to get rid of the play store and use another app store and circumvent Google apps all together and still have a good phone. I guess the minuses make you the very small minority. Millions of android users around and they don't kind it a bit. I don't mind it because it is much easier and versatile to use Google services.

The overwhelming majority of people, especially in the US, have no desire to mess with their phones in that way. Why would I want to buy an Android phone and use a third party store? I can also guarantee you that more than half of the people worldwide that use Android just click right through all of those warnings about permissions and such. They have no idea how deeply rooted the data gathering on them is. Most of the people I have seen that come across this knowledge are usually completely unaware of it. This was the whole reason MS launched their Scroogled campaign, as they saw the surveys and determined what I just said...most people don't know how much data is collected on them. If everyone was as aware as I was, I think Android would quickly lose at least a third of there customers within a year (my opinion, of course).

What really irks me about technically inclined Android users, something that seems to be shared by their Linux brethren, is that they can't understand why anyone would want something that is simpler and just works well out of the box, versus something that is highly flexible, but needs to be tweaked all over the place to customize the experience for most users. You just don't "get" why people would choose WP and iOS over Android, right? I use to do the whole homebrew thing with webOS. Tinkered all over the place. It's still one of the best designed UI's ever made for mobile. I had BB before it with the bazillion options in the settings with all of their profiles and stuff. You know what? I got tired of managing my phone to make it play different tones and vibrations based on who called or texted, and the method they communicated with me. I got tired of tweaking for performance. I got tired of changing things around all of the time trying to get the best workflow I could. Now, I just relax and USE my phone for its intended purpose. I don't need to babysit the dang thing anymore. I pick it up and play a game, or surf the web, check messages, make a call, find my location, do a search, etc...then I can just put the phone back down and doing things. It's nice...really nice.
    muneshyne21 and aximtreo like this.
    03-31-2014 08:44 PM
    The overwhelming majority of people, especially in the US, have no desire to mess with their phones in that way. Why would I want to buy an Android phone and use a third party store? I can also guarantee you that more than half of the people worldwide that use Android just click right through all of those warnings about permissions and such. They have no idea how deeply rooted the data gathering on them is. Most of the people I have seen that come across this knowledge are usually completely unaware of it. This was the whole reason MS launched their Scroogled campaign, as they saw the surveys and determined what I just said...most people don't know how much data is collected on them. If everyone was as aware as I was, I think Android would quickly lose at least a third of there customers within a year (my opinion, of course).

What really irks me about technically inclined Android users, something that seems to be shared by their Linux brethren, is that they can't understand why anyone would want something that is simpler and just works well out of the box, versus something that is highly flexible, but needs to be tweaked all over the place to customize the experience for most users. You just don't "get" why people would choose WP and iOS over Android, right? I use to do the whole homebrew thing with webOS. Tinkered all over the place. It's still one of the best designed UI's ever made for mobile. I had BB before it with the bazillion options in the settings with all of their profiles and stuff. You know what? I got tired of managing my phone to make it play different tones and vibrations based on who called or texted, and the method they communicated with me. I got tired of tweaking for performance. I got tired of changing things around all of the time trying to get the best workflow I could. Now, I just relax and USE my phone for its intended purpose. I don't need to babysit the dang thing anymore. I pick it up and play a game, or surf the web, check messages, make a call, find my location, do a search, etc...then I can just put the phone back down and doing things. It's nice...really nice.
    I don`t understand everyone automatically assumes android users tinker with everything on their phone, I have a total of 14 apps downloaded from the play store. I still use the stock launcher and everything. I am a very advanced android user, and I believe that tinkering is something all android users used to do and it is something that is common now, because we like to make stuff our own and make it unique and different but stock launchers are becoming the norm as android matures and everything on the platform gets better and better. I do get why people choose iOS and WP over android nothing I said suggested otherwise. Yeah apps collect data about you, in the long run, do I or anyone else cares? Not really. Should we really be when their other pressing life matters to attend to? Nope. I doubt a lot of android users would leave android just because of data being collected. These are the users who use Facebook, Twitter and put their entire lives on the web. Just like the media and the internet assumed everyone would go crazy over Snowden and PRISM, and when you asked a normal person about they gave the resounding "I don`t really care".
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    03-31-2014 11:26 PM

I don`t understand everyone automatically assumes android users tinker with everything on their phone, I have a total of 14 apps downloaded from the play store. I still use the stock launcher and everything. I am a very advanced android user, and I believe that tinkering is something all android users used to do and it is something that is common now, because we like to make stuff our own and make it unique and different but stock launchers are becoming the norm as android matures and everything on the platform gets better and better. I do get why people choose iOS and WP over android nothing I said suggested otherwise. Yeah apps collect data about you, in the long run, do I or anyone else cares? Not really. Should we really be when their other pressing life matters to attend to? Nope. I doubt a lot of android users would leave android just because of data being collected. These are the users who use Facebook, Twitter and put their entire lives on the web. Just like the media and the internet assumed everyone would go crazy over Snowden and PRISM, and when you asked a normal person about they gave the resounding "I don`t really care".
    I don't have an Android, but I do like Linux. I also enjoy tinkering with Linux,and I belong to 2 local Linux User Groups. Not all of the Linux users have Androids. There is another person with a Windows Phone and a few people with iPhones. The Linux users don't hate Windows, and many of them also run Windows on their home PCs.
    aximtreo, Kashan Osama and cckgz4 like this.
    03-31-2014 11:30 PM
    Anyone who uses Facebook doesn't care about their data and privacy. That is more than 90% of the populace. So why would they not choose android again?
    I have both Android and WP simply because of the crap app store, there are no medical apps in Microsofts store. This is unacceptable. I cannot recommend the WP to any any of my co-workers because of this. Beautiful OS, Ugly store.
    03-31-2014 11:35 PM
    Anyone who uses Facebook doesn't care about their data and privacy. That is more than 90% of the populace. So why would they not choose android again?
    I have both Android and WP simply because of the crap app store, there are no medical apps in Microsofts store. This is unacceptable. I cannot recommend the WP to any any of my co-workers because of this. Beautiful OS, Ugly store.
    They will care when that data is used against them later in life.
    Ask those that have gotten busted by their employers and others for the stupid things they put out there.
    They cared then.

No such thing as, "I have nothing to hide."
    yes you do. and besides that, it's no one else's business

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should.

Only stupid people use the phrase, "I have nothing to hide"
    you'll change that tune when the authorities come knocking on your door just to take a look around won't you.

Hypocrites
    04-01-2014 03:21 AM
    Ask those that have gotten busted by their employers and others for the stupid things they put out there.
    They cared then.

you'll change that tune when the authorities come knocking on your door just to take a look around won't you.

Hypocrites
    If people use social networks and self incriminate themselves, that is their own fault. And yes I can use the phrase "I have nothing to hide". But I don't use any social networks at all.

04-01-2014 07:07 AM
    Why are you forcing yourself into the convo? LOL yes this is a forum but just like with any conversation, you can tell who are aggressively wanting to be included. Have several seats

And no he is not disallowed from replying, but if he sees one thing, and I see another, why continue? It's nothing but a "have the last word" bull crap. You and him can continue to play that game amongst yourselves. I'm over it
    Actually, I didn't have to "force" myself into anything. It was quite easy, actually. All I had to do was click the "Reply" button and start typing. Anyway, I "forced" myself in because I disagree with your point just as much as he does. You'd have to be blind not to see that the majority opinion on this forum absolutely does not reflect what you said. And if you're so "over it" then why engage in the debate in the first place? As they say, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen".
    A895 likes this.
    04-01-2014 07:47 AM
    They cared then.

Hypocrites
    I don't know what you've been up to, but speak for yourself. The cops could walk into my house in the next two minutes and there's not a single thing in my possession or on my computer I'd be scared about them finding. Way to generalize.
    A895 likes this.
    04-01-2014 07:49 AM
    Could we maybe stray back on topic?

I think a lot of one's happiness with a device comes from their expectations and usage. I quite like my Icon and I understood the shortcomings of the device LONG before it was released (as most of them are OS and 3rd party support issues). Aside from my massive increase in data usage (anticipated, but an unknown), missing my notification light, and missing the independent volume controls, the device has met my expectations and works for my usage type. It may not work for others as their usage type and expectations are different. Different strokes and all.

At least we all have options for OS, Manufacturer, Features, Size, Storage, etc. Competition drives innovation. Where would iOS be without Palm/BBOS? Where would Android be without iOS and BB10 and WP? They each innovate and the rest react. Lets just hope our chosen OS (WP8) can reach feature parity while maintaining stability and the user friendly interface that brought us all aboard.

~Ex
    04-01-2014 12:06 PM
    Could we maybe stray back on topic?

I think a lot of one's happiness with a device comes from their expectations and usage. I quite like my Icon and I understood the shortcomings of the device LONG before it was released (as most of them are OS and 3rd party support issues). Aside from my massive increase in data usage (anticipated, but an unknown), missing my notification light, and missing the independent volume controls, the device has met my expectations and works for my usage type. It may not work for others as their usage type and expectations are different. Different strokes and all.

At least we all have options for OS, Manufacturer, Features, Size, Storage, etc. Competition drives innovation. Where would iOS be without Palm/BBOS? Where would Android be without iOS and BB10 and WP? They each innovate and the rest react. Lets just hope our chosen OS (WP8) can reach feature parity while maintaining stability and the user friendly interface that brought us all aboard.

~Ex
    Android was before WP and BB10. But other than that, good post.

04-01-2014 12:12 PM
218 ... 56789